Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge issue on 2019 ocean

J

Jay gas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their fridge. My van is a 2019 ocean and has had a fault with the fridge when it’s on hook up. The damn thing wouldn’t switch off and it froze all my beers. It’s down at breeze at the moment and I got the call today to say the fridge is cattled so they are fitting a new one on Thursday. Bit surprised as we only got the van in January and it was new. Was wondering if this is a common fault thanks

Be sure to ask them to replace the frozen beers also ....
There were some issues with fridges at some point , don't know exact when or why , there has been others on here who reported a rather new fridge beeing replaced in warrenty.
Do a quick forum search , might pop up some more info.

We have had the exact same problem with our 2019 ocean which has been into Birmingham van centre a couple of times and now waiting for a new part to arrive which will hopefully fix the problem. At the moment it’s been a case of hook up for a few hours and then unhook or just use the leisure batteries.

We have had the exact same problem with our 2019 ocean which has been into Birmingham van centre a couple of times and now waiting for a new part to arrive which will hopefully fix the problem. At the moment it’s been a case of hook up for a few hours and then unhook or just use the leisure batteries.
That’s interesting your waiting for a part where breeze are replacing the fridge on mine

That’s interesting your waiting for a part where breeze are replacing the fridge on mine
1 month old and our 2019 Ocean had a new fridge because it kept switching its self off when driving or camping.

Last time I took it into Birmingham van centre to try to locate the problem they took out a control unit which has something to do with controlling the fridge from my van and replaced it with one from another Ocean and it appears everything then worked ok in mine ! So that's the part that is now on order. If its such a common problem with a particular batch of fridges fitted to 2019 models you would have thought that VW would have identified the problem and found a common solution and notified all van centres.

Last time I took it into Birmingham van centre to try to locate the problem they took out a control unit which has something to do with controlling the fridge from my van and replaced it with one from another Ocean and it appears everything then worked ok in mine ! So that's the part that is now on order. If its such a common problem with a particular batch of fridges fitted to 2019 models you would have thought that VW would have identified the problem and found a common solution and notified all van centres.
Don't be silly that would be too easy, much better to let the problem run and see how many come back.

I would imagine it would be better and cheaper for them to actually find out what the problem is..Surely just down to a faulty thermostat or something as simple..

I would imagine it would be better and cheaper for them to actually find out what the problem is..Surely just down to a faulty thermostat or something as simple..
VW don't make the Fridge, and it's the Fridge Manufacturer who will be billed by VW for labour and parts.

I laughed so hard at that I nearly fell off the khazi. Communication does not seem to be vws best attribute

Ocean 2019 what months - early or late ?

Mine's a mid July 2019 and we had a similar problem. Switched on/off almost randomly with hook-up or not. It was a faulty Relay and control unit. Fixed under warranty without removing fridge. The problem was diagnosed at B'ham VW Van Center with help from VW Guru (We miss you!). Three visits to dealer to fix including two weeks wait for part on back-order. Fridge has worked as it should since.

First registered on 31 December 2019. We took advantage of the offers available as 6.1 was launched and dealers were getting rid of the remaining 6s. Although that obviously doesn’t give any information on build date.

Mine's a mid July 2019 and we had a similar problem. Switched on/off almost randomly with hook-up or not. It was a faulty Relay and control unit. Fixed under warranty without removing fridge. The problem was diagnosed at B'ham VW Van Center with help from VW Guru (We miss you!). Three visits to dealer to fix including two weeks wait for part on back-order. Fridge has worked as it should since.
That’s encouraging to hear since ours is booked into Birmingham in a couple of weeks for a new control unit to fix a similar problem, although ours seems to work fine on leisure batteries but turns on and stays on as soon as it’s on hook up even though the main control panel says it’s off.

That’s encouraging to hear since ours is booked into Birmingham in a couple of weeks for a new control unit to fix a similar problem, although ours seems to work fine on leisure batteries but turns on and stays on as soon as it’s on hook up even though the main control panel says it’s off.
Yes, we had same conflicting information. Fridge on, control panel said not and vica versa.

Another late Dec 2019 Ocean with fridge problem - intermittent fault, but worse when not hooked-up. Thought it might have been caused by having a camera fitted, but sure it was happening prior to that (hardly used the van because of lock-down then) and there just seems too many 2019 vans affected by similar types of problems above.

Time to book it in (hope they don't wait to it fails as knowing my luck it will work perfect for days, which it can, or fail 4-5 times in a few hours). Anybody have anything as erratic as this happen and know what the fix / or likely cause could be , plus did VW wait to replicate the fault and or were they able to diagnose it up front and if so how ?