Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge lid gas strut

B

BuieBodach

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi Folks. I need a new gas strut for the fridge lid for my T5 ES. The VW OEM ones are out of stock in the accessory shop, but they're also a rather eye-watering £35 whereas similar looking struts are around £12 on ebay. Has anyone found any to substitute for the VW ones which they would recommend? A search of the forum hasn't revealed anything other than that they're rated at 70N. Thanks!

If it has just lost pressure, there are companies that will re-pressurise them. I think that there are references somewhere on the forum.
I think that @Welsh Gas has given details in the past.

I have replaced 2 of those gas struts, they started getting harder
to close and then one of the brackets that held them on started to loosen
even the thin bar on the ram bent.
Both were VW ones although i think they only cost about 18€, i don't have
one anymore and have got used to not having one.

If i was to get one then i would go for a cheap non vw one.

Try the man with the eBay shop that I posted earlier...

If there isn't one listed talk to him he may be able to help. There is one listed for a cooker lid but I don't know if it is correct for the fridge lid or even your vehicle. Ask him.

Hi Folks. I need a new gas strut for the fridge lid for my T5 ES. The VW OEM ones are out of stock in the accessory shop, but they're also a rather eye-watering £35 whereas similar looking struts are around £12 on ebay. Has anyone found any to substitute for the VW ones which they would recommend? A search of the forum hasn't revealed anything other than that they're rated at 70N. Thanks!

£19.26 + Postage.

Thanks, but I couldn't find it there.

You need to look better
bad news is they are marked as out of stock , still i would contact them to ask the Q

You need to look better
bad news is they are marked as out of stock , still i would contact them to ask the Q
Thanks - I had found that and left an "email me when back in stock" message.

Most parts like the Gas struts and hinges can be found elsewhere if you look. Early on I had a couple of hinges fail and instead of paying £30 + in the shop here I got identical ones for £10. The gas struts are not exclusively made for VW even if they have VW part numbers on them..No reason to think that just because it’s not as expensive as a “Genuine” VW part it’s no good..

Most parts like the Gas struts and hinges can be found elsewhere if you look. Early on I had a couple of hinges fail and instead of paying £30 + in the shop here I got identical ones for £10. The gas struts are not exclusively made for VW even if they have VW part numbers on them..No reason to think that just because it’s not as expensive as a “Genuine” VW part it’s no good..
Just followed the VW Shop link and see the hinges are NOW £60 each. Nearly had a heart attack...A profit is nice but this is really taking the whatsit....

Now is the time for this forum to start making a list of compatible parts from other sources. Other manufacturers part numbers, specifications and sources of supply. Obviously without guarantee of suitability etc.

I have replaced 2 of those gas struts, they started getting harder
to close and then one of the brackets that held them on started to loosen
even the thin bar on the ram bent.
Both were VW ones although i think they only cost about 18€, i don't have
one anymore and have got used to not having one.

If i was to get one then i would go for a cheap non vw one.
I'll let you know how I get on!

Back