Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From T3 California to T6 California

Alain

Alain

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi there,

We (me, GF, and 2 babies) just finished a three week trip through France-Switzerland and Italy with my new T6 California Ocean. It replaces the T3 California I bought some years ago. The T3 still was a great ride, but since it's an oldtimer I used it only for camping trips which in the end didn't really make sense to me considering the cost of a garage, insurance, daily car etc. So I sold both my BMW E91 and T3 and got a T6 Ocean 150HP DSG instead. Fantastic drive, works wel as a daily driver (not too big), all the bells and whistles you need etc.

Some stray observations:

• 150HP with DSG and Adaptive Cruise Control is a great combination. The only moment I felt I needed a tiny bit more HP was when trying to overtake a truck on a 2000m pass in the Alps. But frankly the 204HP version isn't worth the extra 4000 euros. The DSG and ACC seems essential though. The car feels really quick when accelerating at a red light, you keep on spinning the wheels when being a bit too enthusiast. It never feels slow.
  • Living area seems slightly cramped compared to the T3. The funny thing is that the T3 is half a metre shorter, yet the space between the back seat and the front seat is 30% bigger which is huge. Mine was a hightop California which was great since you can always stand and you can stuff a load of luggage upstairs while driving. You get used to more limited space but slightly bigger would have been helpful. Having the engine at the back really gives more space, but I'd rather crash with a T6 than with a T3 :)
  • I was a bit worried about the luggage capacities but I could fit 3 large custom made bags (clothes) under the bed rack, a Thule 2 seat bike carrier, a tent for unloading the gear when sleeping, toys, baby seats etc. Travelling with babies means you need to bring a lot of stuff like diapers, food, bottles, steam machine, toys etc. but I could fit everything in the car. Also, the table in the sliding door and seats in the tail gate is a great idea.
  • I think the Cali really shines when travelling with two, but travelling with 4 was OK, but from time to time we stayed in a guesthouse, especially when it rained. Of course the advantage of a small camper is that it's easy to pack and move elsewhere when the weather turns. The first night, we put both kids (1 and 3) upstairs while we slept downstairs. We changed to one adult and one kid in each bed afterwards because the bed below is a bit too cramped for two adults and the child safety net upstairs isn't suited for 1 year olds who can sit but aren't aware of heights :) It's strange that VW designs a safety net where it's easy to climb over.
  • I specified the fifth seat option without actually buying the seat. It apparently adds an extra seat rail. What I didn't knew is that the Ocean then is delivered with 17" wheels (something to do with legislation). Mine came with 17" Cascavel's. VW tried to let me pay for them, but my dealer refused since it was possible to config the Ocean with 16" alloys.
  • The VW bike rack sits way too high. It's a pain to put my wife's 27kg e-bike on it, impossible to do it alone.
  • the LED lights are really good
  • Indium Grey looks really cool together with the Privacy Glass and the black awning. My other choice was a white Ocean with black wheels but happy with my choice
  • Outside shower is a bit expensive, there 's less pressure than the kitchen tap. Used the heater quite a lot. Fridge works really well.
  • the extra window in the front of the canvas roof is a very nice and cheap option. Waking up and opening the window to reveal a magnificent sunrise is what the Cali is all about.

Anyway, very happy with the purchase!

vw1.jpg vw2.jpg

Hi there,

We (me, GF, and 2 babies) just finished a three week trip through France-Switzerland and Italy with my new T6 California Ocean. It replaces the T3 California I bought some years ago. The T3 still was a great ride, but since it's an oldtimer I used it only for camping trips which in the end didn't really make sense to me considering the cost of a garage, insurance, daily car etc. So I sold both my BMW E91 and T3 and got a T6 Ocean 150HP DSG instead. Fantastic drive, works wel as a daily driver (not too big), all the bells and whistles you need etc.

Some stray observations:

• 150HP with DSG and Adaptive Cruise Control is a great combination. The only moment I felt I needed a tiny bit more HP was when trying to overtake a truck on a 2000m pass in the Alps. But frankly the 204HP version isn't worth the extra 4000 euros. The DSG and ACC seems essential though. The car feels really quick when accelerating at a red light, you keep on spinning the wheels when being a bit too enthusiast. It never feels slow.
  • Living area seems slightly cramped compared to the T3. The funny thing is that the T3 is half a metre shorter, yet the space between the back seat and the front seat is 30% bigger which is huge. Mine was a hightop California which was great since you can always stand and you can stuff a load of luggage upstairs while driving. You get used to more limited space but slightly bigger would have been helpful. Having the engine at the back really gives more space, but I'd rather crash with a T6 than with a T3 :)
  • I was a bit worried about the luggage capacities but I could fit 3 large custom made bags (clothes) under the bed rack, a Thule 2 seat bike carrier, a tent for unloading the gear when sleeping, toys, baby seats etc. Travelling with babies means you need to bring a lot of stuff like diapers, food, bottles, steam machine, toys etc. but I could fit everything in the car. Also, the table in the sliding door and seats in the tail gate is a great idea.
  • I think the Cali really shines when travelling with two, but travelling with 4 was OK, but from time to time we stayed in a guesthouse, especially when it rained. Of course the advantage of a small camper is that it's easy to pack and move elsewhere when the weather turns. The first night, we put both kids (1 and 3) upstairs while we slept downstairs. We changed to one adult and one kid in each bed afterwards because the bed below is a bit too cramped for two adults and the child safety net upstairs isn't suited for 1 year olds who can sit but aren't aware of heights :) It's strange that VW designs a safety net where it's easy to climb over.
  • I specified the fifth seat option without actually buying the seat. It apparently adds an extra seat rail. What I didn't knew is that the Ocean then is delivered with 17" wheels (something to do with legislation). Mine came with 17" Cascavel's. VW tried to let me pay for them, but my dealer refused since it was possible to config the Ocean with 16" alloys.
  • The VW bike rack sits way too high. It's a pain to put my wife's 27kg e-bike on it, impossible to do it alone.
  • the LED lights are really good
  • Indium Grey looks really cool together with the Privacy Glass and the black awning. My other choice was a white Ocean with black wheels but happy with my choice
  • Outside shower is a bit expensive, there 's less pressure than the kitchen tap. Used the heater quite a lot. Fridge works really well.
  • the extra window in the front of the canvas roof is a very nice and cheap option. Waking up and opening the window to reveal a magnificent sunrise is what the Cali is all about.

Anyway, very happy with the purchase!

View attachment 24582 View attachment 24583

Hi, and welcome. Great first post. Look forward to many more. Have fun.

Welcome on your first post alltough it seems you been registred longer time.
Glad you move the T6 guess a world of diffrence from the T3.

Hi Alain and welcome, yes I agree on the T3 (T25 here in the UK) observations they feel so much more spacious inside than the T5 and T6.

Useful observations and I wish you many happy miles in your new T6 :)

Back