Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie - T3 California

M

Mr Soft

Hi all,

Just signed up, have been a T3 Westy California owner for 5 yrs now, really enjoy it, can be very hands in at times thou'! It's an '89 model, fairly standard & original, with a few subtle refinements.
Are there many T3 Cali owners on here, or is it more suited to the T4/5 Cali?

Thanks for looking in,

Bob

Mr Soft said:
Hi all,

Just signed up, have been a T3 Westy California owner for 5 yrs now, really enjoy it, can be very hands in at times thou'! It's an '89 model, fairly standard & original, with a few subtle refinements.
Are there many T3 Cali owners on here, or is it more suited to the T4/5 Cali?

Thanks for looking in,

Bob

I think you're our first Bob.

T3 California or Atlantic lovely campers :) Have to post some pics.

Welcome along

James

By chance, are you the T3 California that zoomed past a white T4 Cali on the M3 northbound on Monday night?

Welcome. Lovely vans - If you are free this weekend, would be great to get a T3 Cali at COTF.

dan

Wasn't me, my van doesn't zoom anywhere (small engine, heavy van)!! Already have plans this weekend, otherwise I would have looked at coming down.
Thanks for the warm welcome, so far.

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

I was a bit surprised. We'd just crept past them in one of those oh-so-painful 58/60mph overtaking maneuvers, when out of nowhere they came back past like a rocket!

I suspect scoobie power :lol:

Anyway, was nice to see two generations of Westie on the same stretch of road.

dan

Mr Soft said:
Wasn't me, my van doesn't zoom anywhere (small engine, heavy van)!! Already have plans this weekend, otherwise I would have looked at coming down.
Thanks for the warm welcome, so far.

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

TD or Petrol?

Pics look good :)

James

1.6 TD. Thanks, van not in bad nick, for it's age, the odd scratch, ding & stone chip, but all OG paint, decals etc.
Not too shabby for a 24yr old!!

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

Mr Soft said:
1.6 TD. Thanks, van not in bad nick, for it's age, the odd scratch, ding & stone chip, but all OG paint, decals etc.
Not too shabby for a 24yr old!!

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

Yeah there's not much power in those TD T3's but realistically that's the only engine to have to run one regularly. I had a Vanagon Carat (91) with a 2.1 petrol and we had to have a LPG conversion fitted, may as well towed a petrol station otherwise :)

Lots of power with the 2,1 but woeful economy - mine was an automatic as well lol.

James

Friend of mine has an LPG'd SA T3 2.5ltr Economy is about the same around town, within 4-5mpg, but is less than half the price of petrol!
Would of liked the Cali to have been a 2.1 for the extra pull, but they are pretty rare beasts, a few Atlantics had the 2.1, but as the Cali was the 'budget' model I think most people ordered the 1.6TD.

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

Mr Soft said:
Friend of mine has an LPG'd SA T3 2.5ltr Economy is about the same around town, within 4-5mpg, but is less than half the price of petrol!
Would of liked the Cali to have been a 2.1 for the extra pull, but they are pretty rare beasts, a few Atlantics had the 2.1, but as the Cali was the 'budget' model I think most people ordered the 1.6TD.

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!

The 2.1 is also complicated when it goes wrong, having an American van made it more complicated. If I was buying again, it would be TD or a conversion to a 1.9 d.

You're right, I have not seen many petrol California's but seen quite a few Atlantics. There's a lovely Atlantic for sale at Justwestys at the mo.

James

I am also a member of a T3/T25 specific forum.

A few mor pics of the Cali!

@Busfest 2012

Old wheel choice!

Arty shot!!

Bob

Soft & re-arranged!
T3 - The original California

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368255369.914212.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368255505.941763.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368255568.828747.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368255647.298861.jpg

Back