Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front roof aluminium section has 100mm split!

HugoFar

HugoFar

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We finally have a 'new to us' 59,000km 2007 Cali 4 Motion. It's in very good condition with a few minor issues and unknowns sorted out with the help of this forum. But I did just get an unwanted surprise whilst on a step ladder cleaning the front roof section. The aluminium front 'cap' is split in the left side crease section that the front pop-top roof edge rubber fits into/up to, when closed. Has any one else had this? Is there a known repair? I have a feeling that replacing the whole aluminium 'cap' may be a first for any VW Dealer in New Zealand. I have considered gently covering the split with roof/gutter grade silicone. Mainly to water proof. Or, in the short term,some black building tape.Any ideas? I don't really want the split to grow. And finally,yes Hotel California,I did search, but found nothing.:thumb

been reading most posts since 2012 never seen a post about this issue before

We finally have a 'new to us' 59,000km 2007 Cali 4 Motion. It's in very good condition with a few minor issues and unknowns sorted out with the help of this forum. But I did just get an unwanted surprise whilst on a step ladder cleaning the front roof section. The aluminium front 'cap' is split in the left side crease section that the front pop-top roof edge rubber fits into/up to, when closed. Has any one else had this? Is there a known repair? I have a feeling that replacing the whole aluminium 'cap' may be a first for any VW Dealer in New Zealand. I have considered gently covering the split with roof/gutter grade silicone. Mainly to water proof. Or, in the short term,some black building tape.Any ideas? I don't really want the split to grow. And finally,yes Hotel California,I did search, but found nothing.:thumb
Can you post some photographs please as I'm not too sure what you mean. As has been mentioned, this will be a first on the forum. The front section is a one piece solid alloy cap cross member integral to the strength of the vehicle.

The front section is an aluminium casting, smooth on the top surface and honeycomb on the underside with an "arm" on each side that extends back to the "b" post.
Strange that an established casting would crack well away from an edge.
Photos would be helpful.

Thank you for the feed back. I didn't realise the section was built like that (snowy55). It does seem very odd to have a split then. The paint has lifted and the line under my thumb and finger appears to be a split. The Cali is away today getting a drivers seat cut repaired.(made by previous owner an hour before handover :mad:) Luckily the cut is in the side bolster so has missed damaging the heated seat wiring.
Looking at the large photo now the roof seal rubber also appears to have a gap under the rear edge. I must check this when I have the Cali back later today (NZ time)
We're loving having this California and had two fun trips to the beach last weekend. Having learnt to drive in a 1971 VW Dormobile, which our family owned for over 30 years, I'm looking forward to many more adventures with the family. Just keen to get this roof cap issue sorted. P1060935.JPG P1060930.JPG P1060932.JPG

Have you checked underneath the rubber seal that goes around the perimeter of the lifting section of roof for paint bubbling?

Hi snowy55. Haven't checked that yet but will when the Cali is back later today. Thanks for suggestion.

Thank you for the feed back. I didn't realise the section was built like that (snowy55). It does seem very odd to have a split then. The paint has lifted and the line under my thumb and finger appears to be a split. The Cali is away today getting a drivers seat cut repaired.(made by previous owner an hour before handover :mad:) Luckily the cut is in the side bolster so has missed damaging the heated seat wiring.
Looking at the large photo now the roof seal rubber also appears to have a gap under the rear edge. I must check this when I have the Cali back later today (NZ time)
We're loving having this California and had two fun trips to the beach last weekend. Having learnt to drive in a 1971 VW Dormobile, which our family owned for over 30 years, I'm looking forward to many more adventures with the family. Just keen to get this roof cap issue sorted. View attachment 12185 View attachment 12186 View attachment 12187
Your vehicle is 2007, so may have been affected by the corrosion ( bi-metallic ) on the aluminium alloy panel and been re-sprayed. Looking at the pictures it looks like the panel is intact and there has been paint sprayed onto mastic sealant , which has shrunk over time. If that is the case you could use clear sealant, or dig out the mastic and replace.

Thanks WelshGas. I'll have a closer look when the Cali is back. I'll get a small plastic zip tie and see if it goes into the gap.

Just checked under the roof rubber front edge that appeared to have a gap (snowy55). No paint bubbling, just a bit of a gap with more rubber and the roof visible when I gently lifted the rear edge.
With the roof lowered I could not fit even a small zip tie in the aluminium split. It's getting dark now so will check this again tomorrow with the roof raised.
BTW,the drivers seat cut has been repaired well, but there's now an 'Air-Bag Fault' message on the dash. They had to remove the drivers seat which required unplugging the seat air-bag and seat heating cables. I'm hoping this is all they've done. Hopefully the local VW Dealer can check and reprogramme this tomorrow as they've offered to. I'd better check the seat heating operation too. Can of worms eh...

I've raised the roof and attempted to fit a small plastic zip tie in the 'split'. It wouldn't go,which is probably good news. As i don't really want to force a screw driver in to check if it's a split or just a seam the paint has come off I'm a bit stuck. Can't really imagine there being a 'seam' in this location. Appears no one else on this forum has had this happen, so nothing to go on. So, apart from a thin layer of silicone/mastic and some paint I don't see any other solutions. Any ideas out there?

I've looked at the photos on my 27" iMac, and I don't think it is anything to do with the Alloy front panel/Deflector. I think it is mastic that has been painted, mastic between alloy panel and rubber seal. Have you compared it with the other side?

Agree. Seam sealer.

Thanks for the suggestions above. I've just rediscovered this thread and realised I hadn't responded. As it's now 4 years later and the touch up paint I put on seems to have stuck. I now feel that, as suggested it wasn't a split, just some paint peeling off, could be accurate. We've had no particular issue with it since and I'd completely forgotten about it. A good result.

Thanks for the suggestions above. I've just rediscovered this thread and realised I hadn't responded. As it's now 4 years later and the touch up paint I put on seems to have stuck. I now feel that, as suggested it wasn't a split, just some paint peeling off, could be accurate. We've had no particular issue with it since and I'd completely forgotten about it. A good result.
... and the Oscar for thread resurrection goes to ....

Jokes apart, it would be great if people came back and updated their threads. Many thanks for the update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Firstly I'd like to thank all those people that made this achievement possible. Without them I couldn't have risen to this staggering level. Firstly, and most importantly my producer, and then my .......

It can be interesting to look back at your own previous threads. Esp when you find ones like this that could do with a follow up.