Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front roof panel loose ☹️

I think you’re right

I have a copy of the original letter from VW to the club where they admit the issues and confirm the warranty extension from 3 to 6 years and confirm the repair would be warrantied for 3 years so I don’t see how they can argue with that.

We’ll see what happens next week once it’s inspected
Hopefully by the ninth year VW will have worked out how to do a proper job!

Hopefully by the ninth year VW will have worked out how to do a proper job!
I think they worked out how to do a proper job then some bright spark thought we can cut a few corners save a few quid and we lost the chance of getting the proper fix.

Id be interested to see if the bonding sealant/glue is coming away from the cap or from the alloy,
Pop rivets next!

I might need to get a copy of that letter myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news Following the inspection at VW Commercial Vehicles in Trafford Park (I gave them a copy of the letter mentioned in this post when I dropped the Cali off) we yesterday had confirmation that VWCV UK had agreed to pick up the costs of the remediation work and the Cali has been booked into the body shop for next week. It’s a three day job apparently. The service manager undertook all the negotiations with customer services on our behalf as they originally said the Cali would have to go back down to the South coast where the roof repair was originally done for the agent to put it right. He thought as we did that was unacceptable and argued the case, took him 10 days to get agreement! I’m going to ask them to take some pictures of the roof once the front panel is removed so we can see what’s underneath and I’ll post those in sure course. Can’t praise VW Trafford Park highly enough, they even washed the Cali when it was in for inspection

Well it's all repaired (took them longer than expected but they lent us a vehicle so no problem) and you can tell the job is much better than the original as the panel now fits perfectly rather than being slightly scewed to the drivers side. They did mention there is now a recall on our Cali that's appeared on their system for roof checks and application of foils under the seals which is interesting as it's a 2012 but I'll pop another post on about that as it was quite interesting...

Well it's all repaired (took them longer than expected but they lent us a vehicle so no problem) and you can tell the job is much better than the original as the panel now fits perfectly rather than being slightly scewed to the drivers side. They did mention there is now a recall on our Cali that's appeared on their system for roof checks and application of foils under the seals which is interesting as it's a 2012 but I'll pop another post on about that as it was quite interesting...
All mentioned here. Recall goes back to 2010.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...on-beneath-the-seal.26856/page-14#post-317789

Did you get any photos of what's beneath the Plastic Cap?

All mentioned here. Recall goes back to 2010.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...on-beneath-the-seal.26856/page-14#post-317789

Did you get any photos of what's beneath the Plastic Cap?

Nope no pictures Despite the service manager asking the body shop to get pictures once the cap was removed so we could see and share what was under there they didn’t I’m guessing it was intentional they didn’t bother as they didn’t want to share with the general public. I’m grateful they didn’t carry out the recall work removing the seals etc. They said the recall was so new they didn’t really know what they were supposed to do and as the roof had already been repaired they didn’t want to start removing bonded seals to inspect underneath as they thought it could cause more problems...

Nope no pictures Despite the service manager asking the body shop to get pictures once the cap was removed so we could see and share what was under there they didn’t I’m guessing it was intentional they didn’t bother as they didn’t want to share with the general public. I’m grateful they didn’t carry out the recall work removing the seals etc. They said the recall was so new they didn’t really know what they were supposed to do and as the roof had already been repaired they didn’t want to start removing bonded seals to inspect underneath as they thought it could cause more problems...
There should be No bonded seals on the Elevating Section. The edge seal should just pull off. The edge cleaned. Any Corrosion fixed and a special tape applied and the seal replaced or a new seal if the seal inner steel clips have rusted.

Welshgas said Did you get any photos of what's beneath the Plastic Cap?

Have a look at my post on page 176 of the T5 roof corrosion thread. I posted pictures of my roof repair and what lurks below the plastic cap.

Last edited:
Welshgas said Did you get any photos of what's beneath the Plastic Cap?

Have a look at my post on page 176 of the T5 roof corrosion thread. I posted pictures of my roof repair and what lurks below the plastic cap.

Wow great pictures I didn’t realise they cut a great big piece of the original roof out So glad we got the repair redone properly as clearly with the panel being so loose on ours we would certainly have been getting water into places it shouldn’t be .....

Last edited:
There should be No bonded seals on the Elevating Section. The edge seal should just pull off. The edge cleaned. Any Corrosion fixed and a special tape applied and the seal replaced or a new seal if the seal inner steel clips have rusted.
WG - take a look at the workshop action thread and look at the photos we've posted. The original instructions to the bodyshops doing the elevating roof corrosion fix was to bond the seal on once they were done. We asked them not to do this and initially I though they hadn't but they had.

So when the new workshop action was carried out, they had to wrench the seal off and obviously the tape/foil that was applied went over remnants of the glue - a right chuffing bodge job.

There will be a lot more like ours that had corrosion fixed, seal bonded and then bodged by the new workshop action. So if your van has been to a bodyshop to have corrosion fixed beware of the workshop action and check that ALL of the bonding agent has been removed before the tape/foil was applied.

WG - take a look at the workshop action thread and look at the photos we've posted. The original instructions to the bodyshops doing the elevating roof corrosion fix was to bond the seal on once they were done. We asked them not to do this and initially I though they hadn't but they had.

So when the new workshop action was carried out, they had to wrench the seal off and obviously the tape/foil that was applied went over remnants of the glue - a right chuffing bodge job.

There will be a lot more like ours that had corrosion fixed, seal bonded and then bodged by the new workshop action. So if your van has been to a bodyshop to have corrosion fixed beware of the workshop action and check that ALL of the bonding agent has been removed before the tape/foil was applied.
I have. The OP I was answering had only had the Front Section done, as far as I am aware, so the seal to the Elevating Section should not have been touched, let alone bonded.

Wow great pictures I didn’t realise they cut a breat big piece of the original roof out So glad we got the repair redone properly as clearly with the panel being so loose on ours we would certainly have been getting water into places it shouldn’t be .....
Would have been nice to see photos from your repair to see if the Workshops were consistant in what sections they were cutting out.