Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front screen and windows -covers

Shaun

Shaun

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi
I have seen ads for various screen covers etc
Are there any standard items supplied with the SE for the cab area , if so why is everyone buying other versions.?
Thanks

I believe that all versions come with a cover for the cab area-ours was perfectly ok. We changed to the comfortz leisure screen thermal cover to give a true blackout and to reduce condensation on the windscreen, which was annoying me when sleeping downstairs in minus temps with the heater on low overnight. Very happy with the change we made but we could have just put up with it, i suppose.

My cali came with magnetic fabric sreens that fitted to either side window, and another bit that hooked over the sun visors and velcro fastened around the centre mirror,

Very easy to put up, takes three minutes, ensures privacy but pretty useless for black out. I've used them in minus temperatures, no real irritation with condensation. My only complaint is the colour and style. Dreadfully plain, germanic, efficient and featureless.

I would prefer them with nice colours and pretty patterns but this being a blokey forum we would probably end up with steel grey and nice patterns of spanners and hammers.

We too had the inside covers first, for privacy, insulation and blackout, and they worked fine. But we went for the outside thermal cover eventually, because with the inside covers, in snow and cold you still have to scrape the ice and snow away in the morning, which we hate to do...

GrannyJen said:
... My only complaint is the colour and style. Dreadfully plain, germanic, efficient and featureless.
I would prefer them with nice colours and pretty patterns but this being a blokey forum we would probably end up with steel grey and nice patterns of spanners and hammers.
As far as nice patterned and coloured inside curtains are concerned... Don't go there, Jen! :crazy
Of course Marga was not happy with the grey standard draw down curtains in our van. She wanted some real curtains, on a rail, that fold to the sides etc. Much more cosey. So, as a surprise I ordered a set of curtains. But, being a bloke, I ordered...: nice mono colour grey curtains! :cool:
They were vetoed. So now we are in the process of supplying our van with some nice, brightly coloured and patterned curtains. Definitely a girly thing! :D

GrannyJen said:
we would probably end up with steel grey and nice patterns of spanners and hammers.

you make that sound like a bad thing .. put me down for a set :thumb

We have the older "tent" style front screen (and memory metal type side ones) that came with the van - at first I thought they were hilariously low rent but now we've have them 2.5 years, they actually aren't bad at all - they block out some light (and people can't see in), are easy to fit and most importantly, stash into a tiny bag - when semi on the move, they can be left ready to go in the roof too.

I see these elaborate, paint scuffing external screens that get wet and mucky and think "why?"

And condensation - unless you're in a hurry, it soon dries out itself. If moving on early, just wipe the screen with an MF cloth.

Thanks everyone for the answers.
Cant help but think theres some hard core camping peeps on here what with the mention of camping in ice and snow :crazy

bvddobb said:
We too had the inside covers first, for privacy, insulation and blackout, and they worked fine. But we went for the outside thermal cover eventually, because with the inside covers, in snow and cold you still have to scrape the ice and snow away in the morning, which we hate to do...

GrannyJen said:
... My only complaint is the colour and style. Dreadfully plain, germanic, efficient and featureless.
As far as nice patterned and coloured inside curtains are concerned... Don't go there, Jen! :crazy
Of course Marga was not happy with the grey standard draw down curtains in our van. She wanted some real curtains, on a rail, that fold to the sides etc. Much more cosey. So, as a surprise I ordered a set of curtains. But, being a bloke, I ordered...: nice mono colour grey curtains! :cool:
They were vetoed. So now we are in the process of supplying our van with some nice, brightly coloured and patterned curtains. Definitely a girly thing! :D

Marga sounds a wonderful woman. There are places still where a bloke does not tule the roost.