Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

front seats trim catching when turning

sbmcd

sbmcd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have noticed that when we turn the front seats on our cali the plastic trim under the seat catches on the base, anyone else experienced this?

Catch on everything else, handbrake, doors, kitchen unit, steering wheel, sun visors; but not the base ... maybe the trim has come away. Can you post a pic?

Had exactly the same problem, eventually it ripped off the trim and had it replaced under warranty.
The new part still catches on two bolts which protrude upwards and I have thought to either cut down the bolts the trim catches on or file down the trim slightly as it won't be seen from the underside... Either way this is a small design flaw.

Had exactly the same problem, eventually it ripped off the trim and had it replaced under warranty.
The new part still catches on two bolts which protrude upwards and I have thought to either cut down the bolts the trim catches on or file down the trim slightly as it won't be seen from the underside... Either way this is a small design flaw.

I have exactly the same issue, the front part of the trim seemsP8040302.JPG P8040302.JPG P8040303.JPG to have dropped a little causing this problem.

I will get it checked out under warranty.

On the upside we have just returned from 9 weeks in Europe, France, Corsica and Italy and the van has behaved impeccably during its 4,203 mile trip.

P8040304.JPG

I have exactly the same issue, the front part of the trim seemsView attachment 9385 View attachment 9385 View attachment 9386 to have dropped a little causing this problem.

On the upside we have just returned from 9 weeks in Europe, France, Corsica and Italy and the van has behaved impeccably during its 4,203 mile trip.

View attachment 9387

I had a similar problem with the drivers seat. The top trim is held up to the seat with 2 black press studs that pass through the trim into the seat frame. They are quite flimsy and will pull out and then get lost if the trim gets bashed about. They cost just pence and are available for any VW dealer and once refitted the top trim clears the seat base easily.

BTW you do need to lie on your back with your legs out of the door to refit these studs...

Alan

Found the problem on mine... There is a large grey plastic stud on the inside of the side panel trim which is connected to the steel frame of the chair and appears to have buckled thus causing the panel to drop (my black press studs appear to be in place) so this appears to be a new/different problem.
I think this may have been caused through turning and rolling off the chair through 90 degs when getting out of the vehicle. I will try to post a photo....

I have exactly the same issue, the front part of the trim seemsView attachment 9385 View attachment 9385 View attachment 9386 to have dropped a little causing this problem.

View attachment 9387
Hi all, I am also experiencing the trim catching on these two studs, only on the right hand seat. I can not see the purpose of these studs?

I have it on mine 2012 SE also , seems getting in the seat pushes the seatfoam down on the plastic trim,
Afther X-times the plastic trim bends lower and lower until it thoutches the other plastic trim when you swivel the seat arround making it even worse and thing to break of.
As said above when you start looking behind the trim the studs seem to bend down in time by the weight of the person getting himself over the seatedge getting in .

Hi all, I am also experiencing the trim catching on these two studs, only on the right hand seat. I can not see the purpose of these studs?

Affects mine too, I'll have to see about getting it seen to

The thing i was just recent looking at , we always stand on the passengerseat to pull ourselves up in the top bunk.....
This has effect on the seat base foam and trim !
Maybe better to use a ladder ...

Recently had my front seat trims replaced/refitted (eventually) due the this catching issue. Dealer pretty much blamed the aftermarket covers. Having left these covers off just to prove the point they are once again catching on those two protruding bots/screws.

Has anyone gone as far trimming these to stop this happening?

Recently had my front seat trims replaced/refitted (eventually) due the this catching issue. Dealer pretty much blamed the aftermarket covers. Having left these covers off just to prove the point they are once again catching on those two protruding bots/screws.

Has anyone gone as far trimming these to stop this happening?
I took mine to Vw and let them trim the bolts.

A bit of a thread resurrection, to help others whom may have the same issue.

the studs were catching the plastic trim, initially (from new) only marginally, this then became worse over time,so much so that when the seat was rotated it caught on both studs, (one either side of seat base)
the trim was nearly pull off Each time the seat was rotated.

Panel changed under warranty, dealer also cut both redundant studs close to the frame And filled down the fixing stud flush with the top of the retaining nut used to secure the seat to the frame.

i found one of the popper fixings in the front footwell. See photo below

Photo 1 redundant stud (catching trim)
photo 2 the damage to the plastic trim (from the studs)
photo 3 redundant stud removed and repainted
photo 4 & 5 - plastic popper fixings

C448E46D-AC87-4366-8C18-BE863D9C0D69.jpeg

D5E0BEAC-BCE3-4EE5-AE0B-F5483C95AC89.jpeg

5AB3A984-2E3B-47BE-9415-ED961CB91988.jpeg

314329B5-A360-4783-B5BE-0B8D98A0A1B5.jpeg

8AE270BB-58A6-4270-94AA-E8124C5EC2DD.jpeg

Happens all the time. Will get worse over time, when you use to stand on the seat to get into the top bed, like Wim mentioned already. We stopped worrying over it. We are just a bit careful when we swivel the seats. Not a really big issue, is it?

Happens all the time. Will get worse over time, when you use to stand on the seat to get into the top bed, like Wim mentioned already. We stopped worrying over it. We are just a bit careful when we swivel the seats. Not a really big issue, is it?
That’s the attitude, oh look something broken and it’s damaging other things, but it happens all the time so let’s just ignore it ha.
whilst mine is in Warranty VW will fix it, but that’s not an issue for you is it?

Same issue. Bolts on drivers seat cut down, problem rectified. Passenger seat still catches a little, we just don’t turn the seat without holding the trim out.

That’s the attitude, oh look something broken and it’s damaging other things, but it happens all the time so let’s just ignore it ha.
whilst mine is in Warranty VW will fix it, but that’s not an issue for you is it?
Wow, what did we write to make you so angry? :oops:

Our van is well over 13 years old now, and still going strong as you all may know from our contributions on here. And that is not because we didn’t take good care of it... Even though it is looooong out of warranty, so that as such is, indeed, not an issue for us... ;)

But that was not what we were saying, was it? We said: (1) we recognise the problem, every now and then we feel our seat is sort of ‘stuck’ when we swivel it. We then gently lift the plastic bottom trim a mm or two with our hand, and: lo: issue over! Until a few days later, when it may happen again. And (2), with the van ageing, such issues will arise, was our point. Some of these are not worth burning a lot of anger over.

Wow, what did we write to make you so angry? :oops:

Our van is well over 13 years old now, and still going strong as you all may know from our contributions on here. And that is not because we didn’t take good care of it... Even though it is looooong out of warranty, so that as such is, indeed, not an issue for us... ;)

But that was not what we were saying, was it? We said: (1) we recognise the problem, every now and then we feel our seat is sort of ‘stuck’ when we swivel it. We then gently lift the plastic bottom trim a mm or two with our hand, and: lo: issue over! Until a few days later, when it may happen again. And (2), with the van ageing, such issues will arise, was our point. Some of these are not worth burning a lot of anger over.
Thanks for the Clarification, your original post wasn’t so succint, and came across as dismissive, most different to your subsequent post. :cheers