Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Frost protection

FWIW I just tried my tap (briefly) with the tank drained from last weekend and it just whirred up as if there was no water in it so maybe the 6.1 allows the pump/tap to drain naturally when the tank is empty?

I’ve never looked at the manual in 14 years. I just drain both tanks. Never occurred to me to run the tap or anything further. No harm done though.
Just for info. Each to his own.

Maybe VW want to sell more taps each spring.

Thats what was stated on the T5/6.. Maybe there is a different method on the T6.1, but I can’t see how.
View attachment 116795
This is not the same as the 6.1 manual, the removing fuse and opening tap is no longer there. Essentially now it is just drain down both tanks if going to be left for long period Or cold conditions. Thanks for the info though.

This is not the same as the 6.1 manual, the removing fuse and opening tap is no longer there. Essentially now it is just drain down both tanks if going to be left for long period Or cold conditions. Thanks for the info though.
Maybe the different tap doesn’t disassemble itself if it freezes on the T6.1.

Thanks everyone to bring this topic... so I did drained both tanks a while ago. Left valves open to perhaps help any remaining water to get out while driving the van. Did nothing with the lines (6.1) and believe that I am safe. Should I half close the valves now? What would that prevent?
Upon a delivery in August in Austria, I did not get but Multivan manual (in English). now I see that a "camping suplement" exists. Correct? Maybe I need to request it as well?

Sometimes it's not a bad idea to use the SEARCH function in this website....

There's more knowledge hidden in this function than you could imagine...

For instance about the valves, that should be turned in a 45 degree position:

The drain tap has a ball valve, that encapsulates water if not opened in 45 degrees. Below zero, the water freezes, expands and ruins the ball valve. Here's a drawing that explains the principle
Water is encapsulated between the casing and the valve ball, and when freezing the ice pressure can deformate the valve, resulting in a dripping valve next spring.

valve.png

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

So just thinking about protecting our Cali from frost; yes we've emptied the water and waste tanks, but there's bound to be some water still inside the pump etc.. so please critique this plan; connect the van to hookup (we fortunately can easily do this) then have a 500w oil filled thermostatically controlled radiator sat in the living area on the lowest setting and plugged into the mains socket at the end of the kitchen unit, keeping the van around 5-10 degrees C, with the cupboards all open so the air can circulate.

Thoughts? Any issue with the having a long-term (days at a time) draw on the EHU socket?

Cheers
You can get antifreeze you can use. They use it on boat water tanks and systems all the time.

Ok thanks for this...maybe I should contact the dealer although its old now (19) and they probably wont be interested ...would be good to have though.
It took me a year of reading the manuals to feel I knew what the van, a T6 ocean , could do…and I still need it to check out how everything works. Get yourself all three

Back