Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel Consumption errors

P

Pete Wilkins

VIP Member
mpg 200.jpg I have done 15k in our Cali now and coming down the M5 last night the consumption figs gave some strange readings, We are getting at times 200 mpg, it scrolls through every couple of seconds with new data from 200 to zero with varying figures best is the 200 mpg reading very odd. We have stopped and turned off re started but still the same problem anyone else had this happen.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are on the wrong setting for average mph
There is an average setting and also a real time setting that changes
When you increase or decrease speed. I hope that makes sense

Indeed as Kev states, what you are reading is the instantaneous reading. Lift off, 200+ mpg. Boot it, 15 mpg.

Select Average consimption and you'll get the reading you're looking for.

Alternatively, ignore it. When its empty, fill it up!

Pod.

No I have changed nothing Kev, and it makes no difference on what I do when driving it scrolls the the figs every couple of seconds.

mpg 200.jpg

mpg 200.jpg

Oh have you tried reseting it ?

No not yet will go and try that later, will have to read up how to change it first.

Pete, the picture you posted is showing 'live' fuel consumption, not average consumption - are you saying you are unable to scroll through the different information screens - average speed, consumption, avg consumption, oil temp etc?

Rather interestingly as I see you have a manual, if you lift off and coast (say down hill) in gear then the engine will use no fuel at all :) Then the display will show --- MPG.

If you have the multifunction steering wheel, then you can change from Live MPG to Average by pressing the right hand control up or down. If you don't have the multifunction steering wheel then you will have to do it via the single button on the right hand stalk.

You can also turn on and off what you want displayed whilst driving, this can be done only when stationary :)

I do like the optional "wine chilled" warning ...( settings, menu choice #17)

I must read the manual some time, I do not have the multi function steering wheel, and from reading the foregoing my van can do things I did not know it could ! I will have to go and get the manual again looked at it today saw how to change the clock but never found how to change other settings. Interestingly it changed whilst I was driving.

Interestingly it changed whilst I was driving.
Pete, you can change the display while you are driving but there is a mode in setup where you can turn on and off the different displays which come up as you scroll through. I tend to only display a few - I disable the running fuel consumption, oil temp (it never got above 111°C even when pushing it really hard up steep hills in 38°C heat - if it was that low on my race car I'd be very happy ;) ) so I just have avg speed - going along the coast road in Montenegro it was just 27 MPH - but worth it for the view :), avg fuel, distance covered and time covered. I always seem to go the wrong way when scrolling through and realise it was just one click up or down to get where I wanted!! The Multi Function Steering wheel can easily be retro fitted and I think they awesome (although it can be easy to hit the buttons by mistake - what people thought when I was reversing and turned the radio volume up to full by mistake!!

Just have a play and discover what wonders the MFD has ;)

Thank you for all the information, believe it or not I never noticed the little rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk but now sorted thanks for the comments .

Back