Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel Flap Question

R

rthomas17

Is the fuel flap supposed to lock? I thought it did, but mine opens regardless of if the van is locked and I can't see any mechanism to lock it.

Are we talking t4 or t5 if you are talking t5 then the passenger door being closed is supposed to stop you opening if its a t4 I don't know :thumb

It's a T5 2006 Cali. I think maybe something has stopped working then?

rthomas17 said:
It's a T5 2006 Cali. I think maybe something has stopped working then?

There is nothing more than the door blocking the fuel trap, check when the door is closed.

There should be a black plastic lug protruding from the flap which gets trapped behind the passenger door when both are closed.

Maybe you've lost the plastic lug?

It's really easy to catch the fuel flap when you get in/out of the passenger side and I think the lug can get caught and come off.

You can also bend the whole assembly a bit so the fuel flap doesn't sit snug but you can also bend it back!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11790582 ... Mn46YGi5QE

see pic - looks like that black bit has dropped off then (sorry about the dirty van!).

Any pics of what it should look like? Perhaps I can manufacture something.

You are missing this my friend

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1371997111120.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371997126921.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371997147860.jpg

Great pics thanks - I'm thinking of an eraser, a bic byro top and a roll of masking tape to solve this problem ;)

I should think vw would only charge you a£1 for that I bought the rear plastic end cap for the awning rail that was only £1.05 + vat go for it :thumb

Can you open the fuel flap with the door closed if the rubber thingy is missing ?

yes - that's the problem. If rubber is missing then the flap can be opened at anytime. Although I don't think the rubber thing provides max security - maybe it's not a theft preventions thing, more a thing to just stop the flap accidently opening.

I'm pretty sure it's both security and anti flap. I might glue mine on if they are easily lost.

Back