Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel gauge

S

Steve Barrand

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Evening all,

Picked up my new beach on Sunday and it's fantastic! Not got to give it a proper go yet but have enjoyed driving it around.

I have a question regards the fuel gauge. This morning I drove to work and parked with approx half a tank of fuel left in. Got back in at the end of the day and the fuel had dropped by a segment. Drove to the shop and parked with the fuel just below the same segment. Getting back in after being in the shop and the fuel had climbed back to the half way mark. Is this a fault that anyone else has experienced?

Just for info my journey to and from work is 12 miles round trip and the Cali was parked on a flat service at all times.

If you fill up with fuel with the ignition on the gauge does not immediatly register the increased level of fuel. Last time I did it, it took about a week or so and probably 10-15 short trips before the gauge had recovered to its proper position. Is it possible that this is whats happened?

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. I don't think that's what has happened. I took the key out when I added fuel but I didn't and haven't yet filled up. I only put £40 worth of diesel in. Could it be that I need to fill the tank up to make the float work properly?

Could merely be hot then cold fuel in the tank.

I recall thinking that I'd had fuel stolen overnight due to this a few years ago.
Park up at night with 3/4 tank, get in early morning and just over 1/2 tank.

This effect can also make the fuel range go up after a few miles.

If you fill up with fuel with the ignition on the gauge does not immediatly register the increased level of fuel. Last time I did it, it took about a week or so and probably 10-15 short trips before the gauge had recovered to its proper position. Is it possible that this is whats happened?
I'm not sure you have to have the Ignition ON, just the key IN the Ignition Lock.
Reported many times in this and other Forums.
The person who fuelled it at the Dealership probably did it, especially if it was the Salesman

I have found sometimes that I do a short trip into town of about 2-3 miles and my gauge can drop by a segment. Got a bit annoyed at first but now I stopped worrying about it. If I need more fuel I just put it in. It uses what it uses.

Thanks for your help folks. I think it makes sense about the dealership fuelling and leaving the key in as they did that whilst I was signing the paperwork. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days! Just looking forward to giving it a 'proper' go now!!

Back