Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel leak and won't start

ElsieH

ElsieH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

So went to start my 2014 SE 180 DSG and whilst it turns over, the engine won't start. When I turn the ignition off, it runs on trying to start but won't stop cranking until I pull the key out completely.

No engine management lights on but fuel guage showing empty - it should be at least half full. Last driven on Sunday without any issues. After a couple of attempts I can smell fuel and in front of the wheel on drivers side is a new rainbow puddle of what appears to be diesel with a steady drip. The drip has now slowed down and almost stopped. Pretty certain that the leak on the ground wasn't there when I first went out but can't say for sure. Engine bay is pretty saturated at front centre.

Only fault showing on the Carista App is auxiliary heating - fuel gauge. I'm really reluctant to try and start it again.

The reality is that I won't be able to get a tow truck out tonight and it will need to wait but before I decide which garage to get it towed to, any ideas on what this could be ?

Thanks in advance

ElsieH,

that sounds remarkably like a problem I had.

It turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. (HPFP)

I sincerely hope it is not The HPFP and only turns out to be a split hose

the HPFP is located on the drivers side of the engine bay, the fuel lines cross the engine at the front.

Do not crank the engine UNTILL you find out where the leak is.
the HP fuel pump needs a constant supply of fuel to lubricant the pump. The pump works on incredibly high pressures and requires the fuel to prevent dramatic damage and a very costly bill For replacing the HPFP.

Thank you for your response.

That sounds.....expensive ?
Fuel line is very cheap to fix, HPFP don’t even ask. It does sound like a fuel line that’s gone as the fuel is spraying. Have a look in the day light.

I can’t offer better advice.
Do you have AA / RAC (or other) membership?

The lift pump supplies the fuel to the HPFP,
the HPFP then compresses the fuel at a ridiculous Bar pressure.

if a fuel line has gone between the lift pump and HPFP it should be fairly easy to spot.
Be extremely careful with the high pressure side of the pump.
The HPFP produces an amazing amount of pressure (seriously Dangerous pressure)

Thanks for the advice. Who would have thought that I'd be wishing for a split hose for Christmas !

I have RAC membership so can get it towed but local garages now all closed and I'm not mechanically minded enough to do anything other than shine a torch in there. It's no longer dripping but surely it can't have emptied half a tank of fuel ? Is my fuel gauge likely to be reading wrongly because of this?

Thanks for the advice. Who would have thought that I'd be wishing for a split hose for Christmas !

I have RAC membership so can get it towed but local garages now all closed and I'm not mechanically minded enough to do anything other than shine a torch in there. It's no longer dripping but surely it can't have emptied half a tank of fuel ? Is my fuel gauge likely to be reading wrongly because of this?
Probably not the same issue, but I once had a sudden dramatic leak. I was lucky to get home before I noticed. Called AA and they fixed on the driveway. If you’re already a member it won’t cost anything to call them and get an opinion?

RAC, the very nice man should be able to check the fuel lines and advise of any splits. If your lucky they may be able to fix at home.

hope your Christmas wish comes true.

post an update when you know what it is

Merry Christmas, hoping it’s not too severe

Good call - RAC have been out and it's a fuel pipe that's been eaten by mice. They were able to do a temporary but robust repair.

Can't say enough good things about the patrol man particularly on Christmas Eve and covid times.

Many thanks for the tips

That’s the best news I have heard this year, easy fix with a new fuel line.
an independent garage will be cheaper than VW main dealer, using vw original hose.

one very stinky Rodent !

Merry Christmas,

Good call - RAC have been out and it's a fuel pipe that's been eaten by mice. They were able to do a temporary but robust repair.

Can't say enough good things about the patrol man particularly on Christmas Eve and covid times.

Many thanks for the tips
Had that in my works van, after repair I put a trap in there and caught mouse 2 days later
and that was after driving it for a hour , so put a trap there or some poison other wise it might eat through it again.

Back