Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Esso Supreme etc

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have just filled up with Esso Supreme diesel fuel for my T5 after having a failed EGR replaced and taken a vow never to use supermarket fuel again. As the price of diesel has fallen, I thought I would splash out on the premium stuff... then drove 200 miles back down the road.... I am amazed by the silky smooth feel of the engine when going down the motorway..... The T5 behaves like it is running on Baileys!! Super smooth..... I am just kidding myself? The fuel economy didn't seem any different, but this is a first half fill of a tank....

Anyone else had a similar experience and moved over to the better stuff.... I understand Shell's vpower is even better??

I accidentally fuelled up with Shell Vpower in my old 140 SE. Didn't run any differently nor did any more MPG ..... Conversely, running the petrol Vpower in a car such as a Porsche or similar does make a difference to the way it runs. Maybe a diesel Porsche would benefit? Personally I don't think a VW van derivative does but I'm willing to give it a try in my 180 if you are sure!

I will keep using the posh stuff when available at least until COTF and then make an informed decision!

I filled up with shell v power last Saturday and have just taken 'Fanny' down the motorway. I zeroed the fuel monitor on the dash as I reached 7th gear and put her on cruise at 60. The reading came to an average of 42.8 after 2 miles without braking. This seems better than I was getting previously (36-38). Any comments ?

I filled up with shell v power last Saturday and have just taken 'Fanny' down the motorway. I zeroed the fuel monitor on the dash as I reached 7th gear and put her on cruise at 60. The reading came to an average of 42.8 after 2 miles without braking. This seems better than I was getting previously (36-38). Any comments ?
Interesting, I think you need more data than just this though. Maybe we should start a separate thread on this subject ...

I think you need more than 2 miles to make an informed decision!

After reading the EGR stuff I took the decision to use Shell V-power nitro+ which I have so far from new. I'm used to paying more anyway as have to use the Super Unleaded in my BMW 1M as if I use regular it misses on acceleration.
On a recent trip to Hampshire and back to North London.. fully loaded I was getting 38.7MPG which I was really chuffed with, I used to get 40-42MPG in our 140 Beach.

The EGR failure on my 2010 T5 140 was caused by water/condensation inside the electrical part of the assembly, nothing to do with the mechanical parts. The Vw Assist man showed me the mess inside the black cap that is on top of the assembly where the wire plugs in, this was cause of the failure but Vw always replace the whole assembly. Nothing to do with the quality of fuel used.

I don't belive in those upgaded fuel , never used it on any of my previous cars and not on the Cali .
Never had any trouble whatever...
Think it is a marketingstunt.

Whilst I might indulge myself in an expensive glass of fine wine or two so Albert has to contend with chateau du sainsbury's.

As above, I accidentally filled up with shell nitro v power plus super explosive Saturn 5 rocket fuel and the only difference I noticed was to my fuel bill.

It's a builders van, not a porsche.

The fact that there are so many posts on Car forums in general, Audi, BMW, T4, T5, Land Rover etc: about Premium v Supermarket v Additives means that there is no discernible/provable difference. If you spend more you expect to see more and so you do. But No One has been able to prove it in the real world. Maybe in the laboratory under strictly controlled conditions but in everyday use - No Proof.
As long as the fuel used meets the basic standard as detailed by the Engine Manufacturer thats it.

Since owning my Cali DSG180 I've always used premium diesel in a bid to reduce the risk of suffering an EGR Valve failure. Despite my efforts it failed after 4.5 yrs old and 30k miles. When using the vehicle there is no noticible difference to performance nor fuel consumption so from now on ill just go with regular diesel and save a few quid.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Back