Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty fuel guage

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone else had a problem with their fuel guage sticking? Last year in France we filled up with diesel and the guage did not move ( nearly had a big argument with the petrol garage as we thought no diesel had gone in ) , it then did not give an accurate reading again so we had the sender unit replaced under warranty, however this has happened again this week with exactly the same problem, I filled up the tank and it only moved to halfway.

This week I went down to Weston super mare the tank was on 3/4 I put £25 quids worth in
When I got in it didn't move. I stopped turned off the ignition still hadn't moved. The next morning
After starting her up it went to full. Fingers crossed it don't happen again.

I had that problem once the second time the van had been filled up. I filled it up from empty and the gauge stayed on empty. Took about five days to slowly make its way back up to the correct level. The only thing I done different that day was that I left the keys in the ignition while I was filling up, don't know if that would of caused it but haven't had the problem since, maybe I should try again with the keys in to see if it happens again.

Yes, ours stuck in Germany last week. A 68-litre fill up from a quarter tank showed two notches under half. Cue argument with service station in broken German. Ten miles down the road I tried to fiil again but only got a few Euros' worth in. Over the next hours and days fuel gauge came back up to full, leaving me feeling a little sheepish. I'll keep a close eye on it and if it does it again (due a fill tomorrow) I'll have a word with my friendly dealer. We're still in warranty period.

Just an up update on mine, it did right itself when I filled up last week however it has now stuck on halfway !! I also bumped into another Cali owner in a Car Park the other day and he had exactly the same problem on a 11 plate where he had to have two sender units fitted before it was resolved, so looks like it could be a common problem?

Hi Martin,

This is the first I have heard of it. We haven't had any fuel gauge problems on panel vans either. Give us a call to book it in and we will get it sorted out for you.

cheers

Just following on from the faulty fuel gauge thread, last weekend i stopped at a new forest filling station where the attendant filled the tank (very traditional!). As i wasnt required to partake in the filling operation I stayed in the calli with the keys left in the ignition. As we took off again down the road I noticed the gauge and digital reading hadn't moved. Returning to the garage i got the attendant to dip the tank to prove it had in fact been filled. It seems that leaving the keys in the ignition whilst filling maybe the issue with the fuel gauges. Just hoping it'll right itself when i come to refill!!

Could be something to look into. Has anyone who has had this problem done the same and left the ignition on?

cheers

I have been trying what Mark suggested whilst away in France and on 4 to 5 fill-ups with the key out of the ignition it worked fine and showed a full tank after refuelling ... I will keep my eye on it over the coming weeks.

Is/was the ignition turned on when filling or engine turbed off and key not taken out?

I am going to send a report to VW Technical to obtain their opinion.

cheers

Hi Alex,

Yes, the key needs to be fully removed from the ignition, even if the key is in the ignition at the 'off' position it would still create the fault, so:

I have been taking the key out of the ignition each time I fill up for about six weeks now and the fuel gauge has behaved every time, either it is coincidence or a very strange fault?

Just resurrecting this thread as t just happened to me today - fill from nearly empty on the motorway before driving to Scotland - I left the key in (passengers were listening to the radio!) and the gauge still showed empty after £95 of diesel! Same initial fun and games as above, in the end I just set off - and watched the gauge very slowly rise to about 2/3rds full over the next few hours, and then start to sink again, and the range display also went slowly up from 40 miles to 350 miles over the same time!

I am guessing it is something to do with the key in the ignition - does anyone know anything more?

Two dealers have investigated this now with no joy, i have now just learnt to remove the key on every fill up and it has been fine ever since. Not an ideal solution but it works.

Mines faulty also... I drive about 28 miles and a gallon of fuel dissapears just like that!
I keep tapping my guage but it keeps doing the same...

:D

I am also experiencing this - filled up with key in ignition. Surely this is a known fault and needs addressing by the dealer? :crazy

Just to add I've just experienced exactly this exact scenario. Even the doubting the forecourt pump bit!
Filled up with keys in ignition and gauge only registered to just under half then gradually crept up over the next few hours driving to meet its 'true' level.
Next fill up with keys in my pocket and all is well again!
Given its so re-creatable, one would think it could/ should be fixed by VW!

Think yourselves lucky my gauge started to misbehave a few months back , it was dropping to empty, then would go up to full then a quarter , two thirds , half, full and have never filled with the key in . I have found I could make the needle bounce moving the key a fraction, I replaced the switch and steering lock section hoping it would make a difference but is exactly the same I also have the dpf light coming on yet diagnostics say it's fine???

Hi Alan, I have a T5 102, not a Cali, but have had exactly this issue. I think mine was caused by incorrect diesel heating installation.
The DPF light comes on as the ECU will only go into DPF region if there is more than 1/2 a tank of fuel... so when it can't see any fuel, after a while it lights up DPF. After a little longer it will go into Limp mode i'm afraid.
I thought my issue was solved with a new sender, but after several months the fuel gauge got stuck and the whole issue happened again this weekend. Booked info another sender tomorrow.
Apparently there are arrows on the Fuel pump assembly and the Tank, if those are not lined up the gauge can get stuck, or as maybe your case the sender is faulty.

I've read a lot about this issue and it looks like LOTS of T5s suffer this problem,.

Certain Computer functions are not switched off until the key is removed from the Ignition Switch, despite the ignition being off. e.g.: RNS510 continues with engine off and Ignition off, but stops when keys removed. Likewise, I have speed sensitive central locking enabled. Doors remain locked until key removed from ignition despite engine off and Ignition Off.
This problem of refuelling with the keys in the Ignition has been around for years. There is no fix , but then it is advised to remove keys when refuelling anyway - stops some scallywag jumping in and taking your pride and joy.

I still have the issue when I've refuelled without the key in the ignition, sounds like there a couple of parallel issues linked to this

Back