Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fully loaded for France

Yes I have one of the retractable 2m ladders, which is great.

5 people, 5 bikes, quechua Base tent, boogie board & goodness knows what else. Off to France for 2 weeks, couldn't imagine packing without the mft box on the back!

View attachment 9317
Hello, Just purchasing a VW California, collecting it next week, where did you buy the box for the tower & does it fit directly on to the tow bar or is there a bracket on the tow bar first.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

We have the BackBox which is made by a German company MFT.

http://mft.systems/en/home_en/

Not a cheap option but very flexible and easier than a roof box which requires carrying a ladder.

The BackCarrier locks onto the tow bar and can be used to mount a bike rack or the BackBox.
The whole rig will tilt easily to clear a car boot lid, and if the tow ball clamp is released, will tilt to the ground to clear the Cali tailgate.

Amazon usually have the tow bar BackCarrier and bike racks in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007O93IBS/?tag=eliteelect-21

but not the BackBox. They used to say it is 'out of stock' but now don't list it, but oddly do list some of the accessories for it.

I got ours direct from the manufacturers a couple of years ago, but some German camping and bike dealerships will ship to the UK. One of the indicator light LED arrays partly died last year, and MFT kindly sent a replacement light fitting at no cost, for me to replace.

There is a number of past discussions on this item. If you do a search for BackBox they will all come up.

Alan

Yes I have one of the retractable 2m ladders, which is great.

I have a set to get my surf board on the roof.
Wish there was an easier way of getting up without the need for them.
Had wondered about steps on the tailgate and walking on the edges of the roof as that's where it seems stronger.

Store mine here, with a strap tied to the floor anchor:thumb

IMG_6147.JPG

Back