Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing in the Beach

Pull out tray with fridge one side, DOCK kitchen the other (with cobb grill behind it);

What are you using to hold the dock up in the air so the drawer opens? We have a very similar setup with the left hand drawer DOCK.

I have roughly cut some off cuts of plywood to fit either side of the multiplex. This has allowed us to slide in things that are rarely needed (spare trainers, extra fleeces) without them falling in

I'll make some neater ones at some point

Also I cut a piece to stop bits falling in from the boxes behind the slide out tray. Didn't have a wide enough piece

IMG_20220808_101526.jpg

IMG_20220808_101530.jpg

Pull out tray with fridge one side, DOCK kitchen the other (with cobb grill behind it); clothes in one Vanessa window bag and non-fridge food the other. Seat pushed back as far as it will go. For longer trips when I take an awning I lash it to the floor rail behind the drivers seat or pull the seat forward and lob it over the back of it. Works for me.

View attachment 97450
Very well organised. Did you make the cooking arrangement yourself?

What are you using to hold the dock up in the air so the drawer opens? We have a very similar setup with the left hand drawer DOCK.
I put the dock on a very large chopping board that is just the right height - leaves about 2mm drawer clearance and 2mm to the underside of the multiplex board. That said I made my own pull out drawer and the sides are pretty low - the one in your picture seems to have sides that are a lot higher, which may not give the clearance required to fit under the board and open the drawer…

Very well organised. Did you make the cooking arrangement yourself?
I made the drawer but not the kitchen - it is a Dutch outdoor camp kitchen - DOCK - there are some review links somewhere on the forum as a few others have purchased one. It’s superb is all I can say!

I made the drawer but not the kitchen - it is a Dutch outdoor camp kitchen - DOCK - there are some review links somewhere on the forum as a few others have purchased one. It’s superb is all I can say!

- the one in your picture seems to have sides that are a lot higher, which may not give the clearance required to fit under the board and open the drawer…

Thanks. Yes I noticed mine was higher, I will trim it down as that part offers no additional strength

I have roughly cut some off cuts of plywood to fit either side of the multiplex.
That’s a neat idea to maximise on the space. I’ve got a few things tucked behind the bars but also have a fair bit of ‘wasted’ space.

Cooking gear, food box, fridge, camping necessities, leveling blocks and packing cubes for clothes in the slide out drawer. Awning, camping chairs, bedding and self inflating double mattress on the top. Rear seats fold down forwards to form end of the bed. Portapotti behind the passenger seat for my kids. Still refining but has been working great for my family of 4.
D9DDF96E-9067-4B5E-93BC-4BE0029EAD82.jpeg

732D9560-ACB1-47C8-A9DF-6D3CEE15455E.jpeg

Cooking gear, food box, fridge, camping necessities, leveling blocks and packing cubes for clothes in the slide out drawer. Awning, camping chairs, bedding and self inflating double mattress on the top. Rear seats fold down forwards to form end of the bed. Portapotti behind the passenger seat for my kids. Still refining but has been working great for my family of 4.
View attachment 99302

View attachment 99303
Wow - that’s a lot of stuff but looks like it works for you.

chat on the Polish forum led me to discovering a great solution to a problem I have been wrestling with: how to extend the multiflex so that the bench can fold forwards and make an instant bed. Enter a great solution:

Box idea 1.jpg

Box idea 2.jpg

Box idea 3.jpg

Why wouldn't you just fold the seat as normal to make the bed, then there is no need to carry wooden DIY boards around.

Looks great. As a relatively new Beach owner, I’m off to check now whether my bench folds forward!
The rear backrest will fold flat onto the seat. ie - same method as when you want to slide the bench forwards & back.

Goodness, the title of this thread :shocked

I have just come in, sat down, not had my glasses to hand, looked at the title and thought "Doing WHAT in a beach?!!!!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why wouldn't you just fold the seat as normal to make the bed, then there is no need to carry wooden DIY boards around.
Not sure how you manage it but we found that leaving the bed in the position to make the bed means stuff vanishes off the multiflex in transit, while having the seat back against the board loses a lot of storage space.

dropping the seat forward where it doesn’t need to move forward or back means nothing vanishes but you do need a longer board, this seems to be one solution. Interested to hear your strategy.

Not sure how you manage it but we found that leaving the bed in the position to make the bed means stuff vanishes off the multiflex in transit, while having the seat back against the board loses a lot of storage space.

dropping the seat forward where it doesn’t need to move forward or back means nothing vanishes but you do need a longer board, this seems to be one solution. Interested to hear your strategy.
We use plastic stacking boxes in the void, top of boxes sit higher than the lip of the MFB to stop things sliding/dropping down. They are easy to move when you want to drop the bed. You can get lids for them so can also be left outside the van.

In the boot we have a slide out tray that the fridge + storage boxes sit on.

They sit in the garage on some racking when we are not camping + mattress hangs on the wall in a waterproof bag with a strong handle.

Last edited:
We use plastic stacking boxes in the void, top of boxes sit higher than the lip of the MFB to stop things sliding/dropping down. They are easy to move when you want to drop the bed. You can get lids for them so can also be left outside the van.

In the boot we have a slide out tray that the fridge + storage boxes sit on.

They sit in the garage on some racking when we are not camping + mattress hangs on the wall in a waterproof bag with a strong handle.
My challenge is I prefer to try and cover distance at night which nearly always leads to a break around 4/5am and a quick sleep, so being able to have an instant bed inside downstairs is desirable, without moving stuff outside. The idea of tilting the seat forwards and pulling a mattress out does seem of offer an advantage of speed (if not comfort!) but I get it’s not for everyone. I do like @Vincent the Cali solution which May well be the way to go.

I’m struggling to understand why you need all that plywood. I just pull my rear bench forward and turn it into a bed?

I’m struggling to understand why you need all that plywood. I just pull my rear bench forward and turn it into a bed?

Think about it.

Rear of the Beach packed under the multiflex and extender.

Mattress and bedding and overnight bags above the multiflex.

Stop for the night. Fold the bench forward onto itself. Unfold the mattress, lay pillows and duvet on top and Hey presto! You have a bed without having to remove anything from the boot.

Think about it.

Rear of the Beach packed under the multiflex and extender.

Mattress and bedding and overnight bags above the multiflex.

Stop for the night. Fold the bench forward onto itself. Unfold the mattress, lay pillows and duvet on top and Hey presto! You have a bed without having to remove anything from the boot.
Yes but I turn my bench into a bed without having to remove anything (apart from the kids) and without the need for plywood?

Yes but I turn my bench into a bed without having to remove anything (apart from the kids) and without the need for plywood?

Yes, it can be done, but only if you pack fairly minimally. When we are away we usually take a double stove and a BBQ, 2 gas cylinders, chairs for the boys, often a 2nd table, hiking boots, a driveaway awning and all sorts of other guff.

To fit it all in we position the 3 seat bench on the rails in the correct position to make the bed. Therefore to lower the bed we need to remove stuff from behind it first.

To make this easier we have a number of plywood crates that slot in precisely behind the bench seats with only two shallow ones that need removal before lowering the bed. Folding the bed forward would take away that need completely.

Same here, that’s why we got one!

Overnight stuff goes in the Vanessa window bags. Pop the top, Fold the seat down, mattress down….zzzzzz

One of mates has a LWB Ford Nugget style conversion , family of 4, works without the need to move anything. As the bed does not interfere with storage.

Last edited:
Back