Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Game changers for the Cali. What are yours?

We got this. DAB and an actual button for volume.
Sony XAV-AX1005DB Media Receiver (6.2 Inch, with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay) with DAB+ Receiver - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LCTBPZD/?tag=eliteelect-21
We like it a lot. Got someone else to fit it though.
That’s on my list for as soon as I return! I‘ve had nothing whilst I’ve been away.... other than 2 CDs...for 8 weeks! I did play podcasts to my earphones one day....and got stopped by the police for speeding, so abandonned that idea!

Hello one and all! We’ve finally got back out and enjoyed our Ocean these last few months. And it has been humbling, surreal and fun. Hope you’re all very well!

We’ve been getting back into prioritising the van and our little adventures. This means we’ve been buying a few new things and improving on what we have. Which leads me to this question: what have you purchased recently that have been ultimate game changers?

For us? Sea 2 Summit self inflating mattress with a 12v pump from Aldi to top it up and deflate quickly. Sooooo good! We have a five star sleeping setup now.

What about you?
Can I ask which model mattress please? And is it for lower bed or upstairs? I must confess, the Comfort Mattress is a bit of an Oxymoron!

That’s on my list for as soon as I return! I‘ve had nothing whilst I’ve been away.... other than 2 CDs...for 8 weeks! I did play podcasts to my earphones one day....and got stopped by the police for speeding, so abandonned that idea!
One thing to note is that the usb socket is on the front. We like this as if phone cables change we can just get a new cable. I think Apple are about to change their cable connections. We currently have a short curly one and pop phone on dash tray above.

Others have connections at the back of stereo which you then route to glove box. Not this.

A simple cup holder. Makes travel coffee so much more easy and manageable. Assembled using quadlock and related attachments
5bb52208b916798013621c6056db7f5a.jpg
f1b992ab2bd944c7be3f302436a081f3.jpg
8e3e1bc6293b7d29b95b421faa5fc54c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

1. Sea2Summit self-inflatable mattress
2. Custom made bin
3. Custom paper towel
4. Shelf in the wardrobe
5. Decathlon outdoor shower
6. Custom spice holder
7. Tefal ingenio cooking set
8. Oh I forgot the typically round "toaster" that folds nicely
9. The brandrup water container you can hang to fill the cali
Isn’t the mattress amazing! Our bed is now just as comfortable as our mattress at home! I sleep so well now.

Going to look at all your other suggestions! Thank you!

Can I ask which model mattress please? And is it for lower bed or upstairs? I must confess, the Comfort Mattress is a bit of an Oxymoron!
Sea2Summit self inflating mattress. We use it upstairs and down, even though it’s designed to fit downstairs.

We have removed the downstairs comfort mattress and stored it in our home. And now just use this S2S instead.

We’ve kept the original mattress upstairs and place the S2S on top of that. And then place a wool topper on that, too! Haha. It’s so comfortable! Sea2Summit inflatable mattress and on top we add a deluxe WoolRoom wool topper, for reference. Hope this helps!

I’ve got the Sea2Summit self inflating mattress and agree it’s the best thing we have bought for our Cali but I didn’t think there was enough room to fit the original mattress and the S2S. Perhaps I need a stronger vacuum pump because it would be an advantage to leave the original mattress in place as it would protect the S2S from potential punctures from the slats.

What’s the point of taking the dustpan.....just sweep crumbs outside....and save weight!
have you seen it ? its totally tiny not a normal size , and i have put magnet strip under it and it attached perfectly on the rear of the drivers seat on the plastic ledge just below - perfect :)

1) Turtle Mats are great, they’re super absorbent and feel soft under your bare feet, and they are machine washable.
2) Brush is the best for sweeping up everything in the van and when you’re done you just flick the dust outside! Bought in the market in Condom in France, yes I know.. (it’s a pretty town and worth a visit). Also I attach the broom to the lower stem of our sun umbrella and use it to sweep any leaves off the awning before rolling it away..

C5425918-EC84-4B5D-9CFA-7C3D2908DB46.jpeg

3EB8F92D-9664-418F-9BC2-1AC5E2725AD6.jpeg

557C283C-2A73-4235-8D2F-898B9088A508.jpeg

The game changer for us is not needing a car and roof box packed with camping stuff. With the Cali Beach we have learnt to pack minimal stuff and are so much more organised. Getting ready for a trip no longer requires so much preparation as most things are ready to go!

Forgot to say a few weeks ago went down to Taunton for @Roger Donoghue to fit 2 100w solar panels. Great job done by a great bloke.

We do mostly off grid and a lot of times will sit static in a field at a festival for 5 days (Longer if we’re stewarding). Now we have peace of mind and can forget about the leisure batteries and don’t need to plug in at home every month either.

1) Turtle Mats are great, they’re super absorbent and feel soft under your bare feet, and they are machine washable.
2) Brush is the best for sweeping up everything in the van and when you’re done you just flick the dust outside! Bought in the market in Condom in France, yes I know.. (it’s a pretty town and worth a visit). Also I attach the broom to the lower stem of our sun umbrella and use it to sweep any leaves off the awning before rolling it away..

View attachment 94026

View attachment 94027

View attachment 94028
Did you check out the Preservatives museum…?

Finally. If something isn’t used within 3 consecutive trips or 6 months, it’s removed from the van.
Sound principle! Yet we have like a winter and a summer camping kit, more or less. So things like our foldable fire pit and the sheepskins are only removed for the summer period, and put back in for the winter period. The summer and winter duvet are changed, shorts and sandals go out in November, winter trousers and snow chains go in, etc. So we sometimes put stuff that hasn't been used for six months back in... :cool:

The biggest game changers for us were: getting air suspension and changing the lattice rost in the upper bed for the Squergo disc spring system

Lol....nothing that will change your life, but the oxo brush fits in there nicely and if you leave the plastic sleeve on, it doesn't rattle (most important!)

View attachment 94142
Ironically, that pocket is my rubbish bin, so I could do away with the brush and put my rubbish straight into the dustpan :)

Towbar mounted Atera Genio pro cycle rack is a game-changer allowing access to the tailgate when loaded and exploration of the local area when unloaded...
Also love my:
  • collapsible outwell kettle,
  • ridgemonkey pans (thinking about an XXL now), and
  • Oxo dustpan and brush (as above).
I recently sold a shoe rack thing, as I didn't like the design, but miss it and fancy a Busboxx one but the postage is now a faff.

Am now pondering shelves for the wardrobe. Any advice about which ones @Bumble The Van ?

Also love my:
  • collapsible outwell kettle,
  • ridgemonkey pans (thinking about an XXL now), and
  • Oxo dustpan and brush (as above).
I recently sold a shoe rack thing, as I didn't like the design, but miss it and fancy a Busboxx one but the postage is now a faff.
Lots of people seem to rate the Outwell kettle. We went for the Decathlon Quechua stainless steel one. I prefer to boil water in stainless steel, but maybe that’s just me:)
Also considered the Busboxx shoe rack. It looks like a neat idea and the best design, but I think it’s just something extra in the van that I don’t really ‘need’. I’m going to stick with a plastic tray for my shoes!!

I prefer to boil water in stainless steel, but maybe that’s just me:)
Yeah It did seem a little odd boiling water in a kettle with rubber sides. But the result is perfect, and the kettle fits better in the drawer so all good.

Back