Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas check in the south

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My van has just celebrated its 2nd birthday and I noticed the gas sticker expires this month. I contacted my local VW dealer but they don't do the check. They referred me to a caravan and motorhome dealer who wanted £60 to check and certify the system for just one year.
Does anyone know somewhere in the south who does these checks for less. Is it necessary for insurance or warranty or any other legal reason why I should have the gas system checked?

My van has just celebrated its 2nd birthday and I noticed the gas sticker expires this month. I contacted my local VW dealer but they don't do the check. They referred me to a caravan and motorhome dealer who wanted £60 to check and certify the system for just one year.
Does anyone know somewhere in the south who does these checks for less. Is it necessary for insurance or warranty or any other legal reason why I should have the gas system checked?
Try Campervan Sales , Burgess Hill. But I think £60 might be the going rate. Interesting point about insurance! Doubt if warranty would be an issue as VW dealers don’t seem to be able to do any gas related work anyway.

The sticker on the tailgate is a German requirement.
As far as I am aware, there is no legal requirement for the gas system to be checker or certified in the UK. I don't think Gas Safe have any involvement in the safety of caravan and motorhome gas systems.
The rubber piping in the gas tank is dated though and should be replaced accordingly. But the rest of the system is entirely up to you.

Alan

The sticker on the tailgate is a German requirement.
As far as I am aware, there is no legal requirement for the gas system to be checker or certified in the UK. I don't think Gas Safe have any involvement in the safety of caravan and motorhome gas systems.
The rubber piping in the gas tank is dated though and should be replaced accordingly. But the rest of the system is entirely up to you.

Alan
Please check your insurance. I know that some insurers require a professional annual safety inspection.

There is no Legal requirement in the U.K. unless you are hiring out your vehicle. Even the Caravan & Motorhome Insurance doesn’t require it.
The California System is very simple.
The rubber hose should be replaced every 5 years, although I believe this is now 10 yrs as it is no longer a simple rubber hose having an inner polyurethane lining, the regulator either works or doesn’t work just like the Flame Protection Device. Burner efficiency is easy to check, blue flame good yellow flame bad.
The Habitation Check carried out on Caravans and Motorhomes is more about water ingress and damp which doesn’t apply to the California because of its construction.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll let it go. I will make some visual checks and have a sniff then get on with enjoying the van.

Better than a nose is a visual aid ! Washing up liquid, slightly watered down brushed onto all joints will, if there is a leak, will blow bubbles! Visual indication of a gas leak !

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll let it go. I will make some visual checks and have a sniff then get on with enjoying the van.
I'm convinced that's all you need. No need to read below unless you want my reasoning.

I recieved a letter from VW for a gas system safety recall because there was uncertainty of how tight the connections might be. I did create a thread about it but it would seem I'm the only owner to receive the letter on the forum.
Anyway, its been a right saga over nothing. The dealers are not authorised to work on the gas system and after months of delay they found a caravan and motorhome dealer (and by the look of your nic-name I's suggest its the same dealer and the same caravan place) and set up the visit....sort of.
Heres where it gets really poor but I can tell you what you'd get for your £60.
I took it to the place and the guy looked at me blank asking me what needed doing :headbang
I told hm about the letter and asked if the dealer had given them the instructions from VW...answer? NO
What are you going to do then? I asked. Do a pressure test and check all visible joints was the only option.
Are there any joints that aren't visible? I didn't know and nether did he. I suspect not but a poor situation. :headbang
I showed him all the visible connections that are...
Either side of the isolation switch under the hob and these had a painted white line across them which indicated to me they had been tightened. Asides which if you turn that to the on position and turn the gas bottle on in the back you would sure as hell be able to smell a leak.
The only other visible ones are in the back where the bottle sits. He disconnected the orange hose from the elbow and fitted the pressure testing pump. This held pressure for about 5 minutes so on his experience he deemed that to be a sufficient test.
He checked the regulator connection, refitted the orange hose to the van side, lined up the flow to the burners and we sniffed and performed a bubble test.
Thats it...
A very poor experience for a safety recall.
You could do all that except the pressure test (which is not absolutely necessary) so no need to disturb the orange hose.
I'm now waiting for VW to confim there are no non visible joints that should be checked (even though my gas bottle has lasted 15 months so far and left lined up for days some times with no smells).

Back