Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas connection

C

chris151151

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi

Still finding time to sort the basics on may new Coast. I had an old Camping Gaz cylinder in the garage - there's definitely gas in it - connected as instructions, valve open. No gas to cooker. It's pretty cold today, is this likely to be too cold for the gas to evaporate? In which case I will leave it to warm up, or take the cylinder out and bring it indoors for a bit. Also, there is another red valve in the gas bottle compartment, no obvious reference in the manuals, is this anything to do with gas, ie extra shut off valve. Thanks again in anticipation of your patience, I'm sure it's something obvious to all you experienced folk out there.

If your coast is anything like my SE, there's a (red) gas valve in the kitchen cabinet, under the cookers. That needs to be turned in the right position. (paralel to the driving direction) Then there's of course the valve on the bottle itself.

The red one you are referring to (in the gas bottle cabinet, but not inside the water tank itself)) is the one to open the fresh water tank. Which will result in the fresh water draining from the tank under the van.

i doubt it's cold enough to affect your gaz today. you need to have another look at it. 2 valves to turn on. one on the bottle and one under the sink

Hmmm. Been through again. Both valves fully open, no gas at burners. Weighed cylinder it's 50%. It's a 904, but should work same as fullsize 907. Now thinking maybe a duff regulator? Or damaged pipework.

Your coast is new, so this is probably of no help, but I do recall VW replacing parts (rings?) from my gas hob burners a while back for some reason or other. I don't exactly remember why, so it probably wasn't expensive. Also, theoretically a leak could be the problem, but your coast is new and you'd smell it I guess. So, the regulator is def one to check. Maybe see if you can borrow one somewhere to test.

Did you turn on the knob at the gas ring and keep it pushed down. The gas will only flow when the knob is down until the thermocouple is heated .

Good point. It's the same as on normal gas stoves in your home. But perhaps @chris151151 hasn't tried this. Good suggestion. Turn it to the desired level (flame hight) and keep it pushed down while you use the middle button to ignite.

Ok, will try that, didn't realise I had to hold it down. Now have new full cylinder. It's around zero temp today, so am I right in thinking the gas might take a while to make it's way to the stove?

Nah I wouldnt think so. Would think it should work right away.

Below 5°C, butane hardly vaporizes anymore. At 0°c not at all!