Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Leaking

S

Stephanie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When I was away last week I left my gas valve on the bottle turned on. I switched it on under the stove before lighting and off after use. After a day I could smell gas so I also turned off the valve on the bottle after cooking and on just before we started to cook. This is a pain as you have to get out of the van and open the tailgate... My husband and I have changed the valve on the bottle once as we thought this was the source of a leak after running out of gas on holiday. This time I did a quick test where I turned off the gas cylinder and then turned on the gas under the stove and tried to light the burner to check if there was any gas left in the rubber hose pipe. I could hear the gas when I tried to light the burner and it did almost light briefly before the hissing stopped. So I don't think we have a leaking rubber pipe or faulty switch and we changed the bottle valve. Could it be the bottle do you think? Or it could just be that there is always some gas escaping and I don't need to worry?

You should always turn off the gas at the bottle when driving. I know, it’s a pain, especially when the weather is foul. In the event of an accident and the pipe was damaged the gas would leak and could cause an explosion.

You could check for leaks around the valve and other connections with soapy water, just a few drops of washing up liquid in half cup of water and apply with a small brush.

You can check if there is any gas in the bottle by weighing it:
A full 907 container weighs 14 lbs
An empty one weighs 8 lbs
3.7kg=weight of empty bottle
2.75kg =weight of gas in full bottle

When I was away last week I left my gas valve on the bottle turned on. I switched it on under the stove before lighting and off after use. After a day I could smell gas so I also turned off the valve on the bottle after cooking and on just before we started to cook. This is a pain as you have to get out of the van and open the tailgate... My husband and I have changed the valve on the bottle once as we thought this was the source of a leak after running out of gas on holiday. This time I did a quick test where I turned off the gas cylinder and then turned on the gas under the stove and tried to light the burner to check if there was any gas left in the rubber hose pipe. I could hear the gas when I tried to light the burner and it did almost light briefly before the hissing stopped. So I don't think we have a leaking rubber pipe or faulty switch and we changed the bottle valve. Could it be the bottle do you think? Or it could just be that there is always some gas escaping and I don't need to worry?
:IamsorryI’m not sure what your “ test” was suppos3d to prove.
When the tap is closed at the cylinder the circuit from the cylinder to the Gas igniter Tap is full of pressurised gas. If you try to ignite a burner it will fail because of the inbuilt flame failure device as the burner will not catch for long enough to deactivate this.
The Gas Holder where the cylinder is has a gas tight screw top. Butane is heavier than air and if there is a leak from cylinder/tap or regulator then the Butane flows out through the hole in the base of the Gas Holder to the ground.
Where are you smelling the gas?
In the Van?
Only when cooking?
Gas cylinder On, under gas stove Off?

Gas leaks should be located using a mixture of water and washing up liquid to make a bubble mixture and use a brush to paint it around all joints. Bubbles mean Gas Leak.

Thank you will try this next

I always turn it off when driving

Do you isolate your gas cooker at home? Of course you don’t.

In almost 10 years of Caliness I’ve only turned off the gas when changing a bottle.

Do you isolate your gas cooker at home? Of course you don’t.

In almost 10 years of Caliness I’ve only turned off the gas when changing a bottle.
But your house does not roll on the road!

I recently found I had simply not tightened it enough. Hands not as strong as they used to be so I use a spanner to give just a little extra nip. And I have my gas OFF unless I'm cooking. No faff turning it on and off - when camping I'm in and out all the time

:IamsorryI’m not sure what your “ test” was suppos3d to prove.
When the tap is closed at the cylinder the circuit from the cylinder to the Gas igniter Tap is full of pressurised gas. If you try to ignite a burner it will fail because of the inbuilt flame failure device as the burner will not catch for long enough to deactivate this.
The Gas Holder where the cylinder is has a gas tight screw top. Butane is heavier than air and if there is a leak from cylinder/tap or regulator then the Butane flows out through the hole in the base of the Gas Holder to the ground.
Where are you smelling the gas?
In the Van?
Only when cooking?
Gas cylinder On, under gas stove Off?

Gas leaks should be located using a mixture of water and washing up liquid to make a bubble mixture and use a brush to paint it around all joints. Bubbles mean Gas Leak.
Welsh gas was right test with soapy water or call at a plumbers merchant and ask for some LDF ( leak detection fluid ) put it in a spray bottle and spray all joints,did you find it?