Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas detectors - a couple of questions

M

MCh1777

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have been looking for some help with gas detectors and, based on what I read in the forums, bought a CO2 detector. Now I am trying to find a good place to locate it in the van. It seems that everywhere I consider putting the detector I soon realise there is something that will get in its way - a swivelling seat, sliding table, sliding seat, lifting lid, air vent etc! Any advice on placement would be appreciated.

Also, I have just realised that I don't have anything that will detect flammable gas. Thinking back to my sailing days it was flammable gas such as butane and propane that we most worried about, but I haven't seen anything on the forum about this sort of detector.

PS A big thank you to all the organisers and contributers to the California Club forums - you have been brilliant in helping me get my Cali sorted and ready for use.

If I sleep downstairs with roof raised it goes on one of the ledges around where the wardrobe is.

Otherwise it goes on top of the fridge.

There is no perfect place for it so my numbskull non-techie logic says that if it is somewhere level with my nose and mouth then it will breathe in as much as me and give me a big yell if it smells anything.

+ 1 for above the wardrobe door. Butane and Propane are heavier than air so any detector should be at floor level.

PS A big thank you to all the organisers and contributers to the California Club forums - you have been brilliant in helping me get my Cali sorted and ready for use.

+1 for this as well.

It was just over a year ago that I joined this forum having decided to buy a Cali and it has been a fantastic resource. My year with Albert has been a revelation. A gorgeous, lovely, brilliant learning curve of what it can do all inspired by a confidence that so much good stuff in this forum gives.

Also, I have just realised that I don't have anything that will detect flammable gas. Thinking back to my sailing days it was flammable gas such as butane and propane that we most worried about, but I haven't seen anything on the forum about this sort of detector.

I don't think there are any reasonably priced "consumer" gas detectors for this application.

We use personal gas detectors at work, these detect 4 different gases - oxygen, LEL (flammable), carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulphide. The cost of the detector (£360, 6 monthly calibrations (£40) and regular replacement sensors (£180) rules these out for private use.

When we got our first Cali a few years back the tap from the gas bottle was missing; and while we were waiting for the correct part I got a similar item from a caravan accessory shop.

After fitting it I thought I'd check for leaks by putting my personal detector in the gas bottle compartment, and guess what, the alarm went off about 30 seconds after I turned the gas on! I nipped it up after that and it sealed OK. The gas compartment itself is vented at the bottom so any leaking butane (heavier than air) should go out though there, but there is always a worry that one of the pipes inside the van could develop a leak.

Next, I put it in the cab while we made a cup of tea and it showed that the oxygen levels inside the van reduced considerably, although not enough to set off the alarm.

So it's always a good idea to ensure adequate ventilation when cooking, and turn off the gas when not in use.

Colin

Totally agree. Also when sleeping with the roof closed, due to weather etc: you lose the vents in the canvas roof bellows. In this case it is advisable to leave one of the windows open 1 or 2cms to provide alternative ventilation.

Thank you for all your comments - all very helpful. I got the FireAngel carbon monoxide detector (not CO2 as in my initial post!) and the DubFlectas which seem nicely made and should allow for a bit of ventilation. And I'll continue to be 'sailing' cautious about the flammable gas!

Brandrup do a nice, secure window ventilation system which I have.
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 17.34.12.jpg

Ventilation is the is the reason we fitted, wind deflectors to the van, you can open a little bit and the rain cant beat in

That is what I did, but was concerned about security having once left the van all day with the window slightly open. These make it a little more secure with the advantage that the mozzies cannot get in.

Shut the windows up when not in the van. The gas locker has vets at the bottom so if the gas leaks if the locker lid on makes the seal and the gas is heavier than air so would leak to the. outside.

We follow the following steps for gas safety in the van.

Never cook without window open a little if roof down.
Always turn gas off under cooker when finished cooking
Always turn off at bottle and under cooker when driving
Always keep locker lid screwed down.

I take your point about shutting the windows but the advantage of these inserts is on a hot day you can keep the van ventilated and they work very well with the roof up as you have the roof vents working with these lower vents to keep a circulation of air going. Also work well with the roof shut if you put both vents in.
Fully agree with all your other points.

I bought the DubFlectas so I could wind the window down an inch or so to give reasonably rain proof ventilation. And the Brandrup mozzie-proof solution looks even better. Moving on with my Cali setup, I have eventually worked out how the front side window curtains work - with magnets that make a nice seal with the window frame thereby blocking up my carefully planned ventilation. Help!

They don't block it up that much as it is not a continuous magnet around the edge and you still get airflow.;)

CO2 detectors do not need to be fitted to the celiing (accoring to the instructions) so we rest ours on the glass worktop and then pack it away whilst travelling.

Back