Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Strut Help

Twinksgx

Twinksgx

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Merry Christmas. One of our struts on the pop of roof has gone, (T5) the previous owner gave us a spare one BUT the metal ends don’t want to come off the old one, any tips on how to get these off? Hope to go away on Sunday for New Year so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Merry Christmas. One of our struts on the pop of roof has gone, (T5) the previous owner gave us a spare one BUT the metal ends don’t want to come off the old one, any tips on how to get these off? Hope to go away on Sunday for New Year so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
I think you need to give a bit more detail of exactly what bit you are talking about, maybe a photo? .Looking at your profile pic, looks like yours is not a California ( side door on left) so it might not be a fitting that is familiar to most on here, so the more detail you can give the better.
Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Managed to do it getting it in a vice - think they had been on for a while!!! Thanks for the prompt reply though!

Hi, we need to new structs on the inside and outside of our van. Does anyone have any recommendations of who can do this? Thanks

I assume you mean struts(suspension) The hubs have to be removed for the fronts.
Any independent should be able to do that job if you don't want to pay main dealer rate.

Or do you mean the struts for the lifting roof?

Do you mean the gas struts for the bed,
or the hydraulic rams.

Is it a California? Door on passenger side.

Hi, yes as per the picture, door on the side. Both need doing, bed and outside rams. :) Attached a picture so you can see outside ones.

IMG_2896.jpg

I think you will have to find out what kind of roof conversion
it is and try and get replacements from the appropriate converter.

The Cali Beach has similar gas struts but i doubt they would fit.