Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas struts for the bed?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Just to know has anyone (or knows if it exists) added gas struts to the pop-top bed, not the roof, but the bed (as it works on the T5), instead of relying on the strap that holds it up?
Is there a kit out there for this?

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

Interesting thought. I can’t think where you’d be able to fit them? You’d need to get creative with some bracketry and they’d need to fit neatly inside the closed roof space.

The other thing, whilst it’s only a strap, it does kind of lock the roof up by way of triangulation.

Out of interest, what is it you feel needs improvement?

No real issue with the current setup, more a fear of not hanging it correctly one day and having it come down on someones head...
Was just a thought if anyone had done added struts or knew of a kit to do it more than anything... Its Tuesday, my mind wanders :D

Mines using a locking pin that slots in place through a hook in the roof. Seems really solid. Did they change it to a strap in the later models?

Mines using a locking pin that slots in place through a hook in the roof. Seems really solid. Did they change it to a strap in the later models?
What year is yours? They did change the roof design. Not sure when?
Presumably you have the H frame to lift the roof as opposed to wobbly gas struts? Infinitely superior.

What year is yours? They did change the roof design. Not sure when?
Presumably you have the H frame to lift the roof as opposed to wobbly gas struts? Infinitely superior.
1994. Yeah H-frame for the roof. It's easy enough to open although I feel like it could easily blow down. Was going to make a thread about it. Feel like I need to secure the beams with a strap when open to stop them folding back on themselves

Hmmm that’s kind of why the bed base clips firmly into the roof. It won’t stop the H frame from moving but it will hold the roof up.

It never felt over secure on mine but in 5 years it never moved.

Hmmm that’s kind of why the bed base clips firmly into the roof. It won’t stop the H frame from moving but it will hold the roof up.

It never felt over secure on mine but in 5 years it never moved.
Yeah feels good when the bed's up but if it was down and I was sleeping in the roof I would always be paranoid!

1994. Yeah H-frame for the roof. It's easy enough to open although I feel like it could easily blow down. Was going to make a thread about it. Feel like I need to secure the beams with a strap when open to stop them folding back on themselves

Same issue here. My solution was a couple of oversized karabiners on the elbow joints of the frame once the roof is up. Works a treat, if the roof falls it drops about an inch before the krabs arrest it. The krabs just live in the glovebox.

Same issue here. My solution was a couple of oversized karabiners on the elbow joints of the frame once the roof is up. Works a treat, if the roof falls it drops about an inch before the krabs arrest it. The krabs just live in the glovebox.
Will give that a try. I'm a climber too so have a few biners lying around

Back