Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gates Coupling on 130 5 cyl engine

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
Hello! Our California is 2008 model, so the 5 cylinder engine - 110k mileage. Mostly long journeys, not used much around town.

I am aware that Gates Coupling on engine due for replacement soon, and was an advisory at least VW Van Centre Service.

An time-consuming and expensive job I guess! Involves removal of front of bodywork to gain access to components, and I suspect that there are not many mechanics around with experience of working on these older beasts.

We plan to get another 18 months - 2 years out of the van, perhaps more - uncertain at present.

I understand that failure of these components can do quite a bit of damage to the alternator and other kit - the couplings are designed to prevent more serious failures elsewhere.

Quite a few people on this forum have vans with these engines - what is your experience / advice?

Thanks

Lewis

We had it done at 185,000 km. Our dealer had experience and had already long ago figured a way to replace the Gates couplings without removing the front (which is what the guidebook for mechanics tells you to do), seems it can be done from underneath if you know how. Made a big difference in hours. But still relatively expensive.
Yet, since we have decided to run our Cali to its technical end (hopefully another 300.000 km ), we decided to have them replaced.

Last edited:
Have it done. It will go bad if you don’t. Usually the free wheels go first. Have seen it in numerous cars. The shaft from the alternator to the gear case can suffer damage, which will call for a new engine. Sometimes less fatal, with no charging from the alternator. Sometimes the other Gates goes, the PAS pump and/or the ac compressor can suffer damage. I’ve done gates coupling and free wheels in approximately 15-20 California’s over the last 6-7 years…

It’s the first time I’ve heard of ‘gate’s couplings’. When are they supposed to be changed, when I reach a certain mileage or age?

It is in the owners manual. In mine (2006 AXE) it say every 150kkm. Some claim it say every 180kkm (2008), but I’ve never seen it my self…This engines (AXD/AXE and BNZ/BPC) haven’t got ordinary belt driven auxiliary units, it has Gates Flexible Couplings and Freewheels…Read documentation…

I made a video over this service (Gates elastic drive and freewheel) a couple of years ago. That was the first time I did that work. Since then I done it in 15-20 californias. I live in Norway, I’m a California enthusiast and a hobby mechanic. This work at the official Vw dealer her in Norway, will cost you around 1600 euros. I wrote a guide in a Norwegian forum, so that people could do this work them self. But still, many people have contacted me during the years, wanted me to do the work. That’s why I’ve done so many Californias. I’ve also done around 20 water pumps and a lot of other things. On my own car I completely rebuilt the hydraulic lines to the elevating roof just 5 days ago. I had a small defect in one line near one of the hydraulic cylinders on the left side, small slow leakage here. Had to replace those lines all the way in to the hydraulic pump inside the car. Unfortunately I have a lot of other things in my life, so I try to minimize this hobby mechanic activity.

I made a video over this service (Gates elastic drive and freewheel) a couple of years ago. That was the first time I did that work. Since then I done it in 15-20 californias. I live in Norway, I’m a California enthusiast and a hobby mechanic. This work at the official Vw dealer her in Norway, will cost you around 1600 euros. I wrote a guide in a Norwegian forum, so that people could do this work them self. But still, many people have contacted me during the years, wanted me to do the work. That’s why I’ve done so many Californias. I’ve also done around 20 water pumps and a lot of other things. On my own car I completely rebuilt the hydraulic lines to the elevating roof just 5 days ago. I had a small defect in one line near one of the hydraulic cylinders on the left side, small slow leakage here. Had to replace those lines all the way in to the hydraulic pump inside the car. Unfortunately I have a lot of other things in my life, so I try to minimize this hobby mechanic activity.

Thanks for posting the video, you make the job look really easy. Very impressed.

Thanks for these replies - and we've always wanted to visit Norway, Emil!!

I don't have the knowledge / skills to do the work myself, so it would be a dealer / independent job. While they have things removed, is it a good idea to replace the water pump? One of my concerns is that with the later cambelt engines, the water pump can / should be replaced periodically, whereas that does not happen on the the chain driven engines. I replace the coolant every 3 - 4 years, though VW says this is not necessary - most other manufacturers do advise it.

I am always very wary of these long service intervals, which are used to make the costs of servicing look cheaper in advertisements / publicity material. On mine, oil changed every year irrespective of mileage; usually c 9k

Lewis

Thanks for these replies - and we've always wanted to visit Norway, Emil!!

I don't have the knowledge / skills to do the work myself, so it would be a dealer / independent job. While they have things removed, is it a good idea to replace the water pump? One of my concerns is that with the later cambelt engines, the water pump can / should be replaced periodically, whereas that does not happen on the the chain driven engines. I replace the coolant every 3 - 4 years, though VW says this is not necessary - most other manufacturers do advise it.

I am always very wary of these long service intervals, which are used to make the costs of servicing look cheaper in advertisements / publicity material. On mine, oil changed every year irrespective of mileage; usually c 9k

Lewis
There’s no benefit to replace the water pump at the same time with Gates. Those to service tasks do not share any work. Gates are situated in the front of the engine, and the water pump left side, almost in the back of the engine.
But if you haven’t done the water pump, you should consider it in the near future. Or check the coolant level weekly or more often. Your 2008 model, 5 cylinder engine had 110k miles (176kkm)..? I replace my water pump every 100kkm (SKF premium). Btw the engine is gear train driven. New engine oil usually 9k, probably the best you could do. Extended service intervals should only be used in California’s that are driven more than 30kkm every year, only long journeys and no cold weather…

Attachments

• ssp-305-e.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 10