5 cylinder early T5s - Smelly engines?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I’ve a query for those of us running (or previously owned) a pre-facelift T5 with the 5 cylinder engines. Both 130hp and 174 versions.

I’m struggling to get rid of engine / exhaust smell, despite having attended to many of the causes particularly known for this engine. Several folk I’ve spoken to just tell me these engine are notoriously ‘smelly’ so I don’t want to waste more time and money if that’s the case.

I know many of them suffer with cracked / twisted exhaust manifolds so we changed that for a new vw part and did all the associated gaskets. The smell was still there (it’s in the cabin but also all around the perimeter of the van) so we used a smoke machine shoved in the turbo outlet pipe, pumping smoke through the engine, and found several small leaks on the dpf clamps (both sides). You could feel a draft from the small egr pipe so we put new gaskets on that.

The only leak we can now see is a tiny whisper from the turbo actuator but apparently that’s normal (as it’s a bearing surface) and I can’t believe that’s anywhere near enough to cause the smell.

The smell is there almost instantly on start up, and I seem to get a second wave inside the cab as the water comes up to Temperature. I’ve no headache symptoms so don’t know if I’m dealing with exhaust gas or just a smell.

It runs just fine. Doesn’t use oil or water. I’ve found random posts on other forums saying they’ve got rid of similar smells with changing moo valves / mafs or dealt with injector problems. The engine has no codes other than a recent (the smell predates) glowplug low voltage warning on cylinder 2.

So, I’d welcome any general thoughts from owners plus any tips on my own situation. Cheers.

Possible DPF filter is dirty,( sometimes they pollute without the dash DPF warning light coming on) Take it for a blast on the motorway & see if that clears it....
...or it could be the catalytic converter (smells like rotten eggs)

Looks like you've exhausted all your leads. :)

Only happens on mine in winter when the Aux heater kicks in,
ive had the manifold replaced a couple of times and last year had
the EGR cleaned out and refitted with new gaskets.

So far so good, maybe you should buy a canary for the van.

Only happens on mine in winter when the Aux heater kicks in,
I suspected that, and it was perhaps kicking in all the time, so took the fuse out.

Several folk I’ve spoken to just tell me these engine are notoriously ‘smelly’ so I don’t want to waste more time and money if that’s the case.
Our 2008 174 never had any problems with smell... Catalytic converter does sound like a good shout though....

our T5 2.5 had what I believe was an oil breather blocked so oil was getting out and into the cabin air filter - at least that is how it was explained to me. Once unblocked and the filter changed, no more oil smell in the cab

I’ve a query for those of us running (or previously owned) a pre-facelift T5 with the 5 cylinder engines. Both 130hp and 174 versions.

I’m struggling to get rid of engine / exhaust smell, despite having attended to many of the causes particularly known for this engine. Several folk I’ve spoken to just tell me these engine are notoriously ‘smelly’ so I don’t want to waste more time and money if that’s the case.

I know many of them suffer with cracked / twisted exhaust manifolds so we changed that for a new vw part and did all the associated gaskets. The smell was still there (it’s in the cabin but also all around the perimeter of the van) so we used a smoke machine shoved in the turbo outlet pipe, pumping smoke through the engine, and found several small leaks on the dpf clamps (both sides). You could feel a draft from the small egr pipe so we put new gaskets on that.

The only leak we can now see is a tiny whisper from the turbo actuator but apparently that’s normal (as it’s a bearing surface) and I can’t believe that’s anywhere near enough to cause the smell.

The smell is there almost instantly on start up, and I seem to get a second wave inside the cab as the water comes up to Temperature. I’ve no headache symptoms so don’t know if I’m dealing with exhaust gas or just a smell.

It runs just fine. Doesn’t use oil or water. I’ve found random posts on other forums saying they’ve got rid of similar smells with changing moo valves / mafs or dealt with injector problems. The engine has no codes other than a recent (the smell predates) glowplug low voltage warning on cylinder 2.

So, I’d welcome any general thoughts from owners plus any tips on my own situation. Cheers.
Hi please can you advise if you rectified your issue.Mines a 174 .2.5 2009 .Had manifold gasket and all seals replaced .Usual checks etc back to garage they can't find any issue .At a loss now.Said they have smoke tested etc and no signs they can't smell .Only other thing is I get a wistle from turbo under boost about 1800rpm to 2000 rpm .Garage happy with it .

I'm increasingly sure they are just like that. I've tried too many garages like you, Inc smoke tests and was always reassured there is nothing wrong. We must just have sensitive noses.

What is the smell? Exhaust fumes? Diesel fuel smell? Is it continuous or just on start up?

I can sense mine as I have ashma and it triggers that.My lips also tingle.I am going to hire a gas analyser and hope this shows signs.2into1 does your turbo wistle? on boost about 1800rpm upto about 2100 rpm.

What is the smell? Exhaust fumes? Diesel fuel smell? Is it continuous or just on start up?
I do get a smell around bus on start up but I try with fans off etc to stop it coming into cabin .Notice on long drive also.Was thinking off extending exhause from under bus and see if this helps if it exhause out off rear.

Audible turbo whine suggests to me a possible leak in the outlet side. Split intercooler? Leaky pipe work. This could be a source of smell?

Well picked van up.Van now spools up below 2000 rpm and has a lot more get up and go .Garage have said done nothing.Gas analyser showed no readings for Co or other gasses Used for confined spaces.So hopefully mine is sorted for good.Weather clear and no webasto heaters on etc.Small gap in seal on boot gona fill in as that could allow fume back into cab.Fingers crossed .

Forgot to mention turbo has a noise still so could have some form of leak but garages not able to find any.

I've had mine for years and the smell for years. I adapt quickly but have a grandchild that doesn't. Most of the possibilities cited above have been raised by the garage that services it regularly and addressing them has changed nothing. They've recently reported an oil leak into the try under the engine that'll require a bit of a strip down to find out excactly where it's coming from - so this is another possibility.
Maybe as someone posting above has obsewrved "the engine's just like that" :)

Back