Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC cabin accessories & alterations

IanH777

IanH777

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Good morning, all!
Has anyone considered/been able to fit an airline-style, cabin divider curtain (like between First and Business cabins on an aircraft) to help with light/noise attentuation and so that one partner with insomnia (me) doesn’t upset the other partner (Ross)?
BTW: I found a perfectly-sized washing up bowl for the galley sink from Ikea: it’s called a NOJIG and costs (wait for it………..) £1 !
I’m on a solo trip with Harvey (Ross has gone back to Canada for a family birthday), we’ve bonded and I love him even more! Have spent some time trying to allocate the stowages and containers (it’s my thing, living with mild OCD). Will keep you posted.

558C1901-81F5-40AE-A01B-C7EA06E6622A.jpeg

26D496C9-5342-4064-8404-EA6D9A14F316.jpeg

9E8AB457-225E-48F6-91CB-42C268F4506D.jpeg

146263A8-D0B6-4B8D-B06F-AE76A088A6CD.jpeg

Thanks for the info on the sink bowl. That's ideal.

BTW think all campers are mildly obsessed with storage. It took us 4 years to perfect the storage in our Transporter and the 680 has so many more options. At the moment we just bring the same stuff meaning that we have loads of spare space - must think of something else to bring

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BTW think all campers are mildly obsessed with storage. It took us 4 years to perfect the storage in our Transporter and the 680 has so many more options. At the moment we just bring the same stuff meaning that we have loads of spare space - must think of something else to bring

Don't worry, it didn't take us long to fill the extra space moving from a California to a 680 Grand California. It the same as a garage..... the more space you have the more you fill it.

BTW I do like your wheels.

Don't worry, it didn't take us long to fill the extra space moving from a California to a 680 Grand California. It the same as a garage..... the more space you have the more you fill it.

BTW I do like your wheels.
Omg don't mention the wheels

Is curtain inside airplane kitchen area is not make sound quiet difference - can hearing every words cabin attendants chitting chatting kitchen all night when is try sleep - pay extra bed and cannot zzzz noisy staff. A380 bad this, is plane very quiet but is staff make same level chatting noise and bang bang metal cupboard and kitchen equipments - need hard door not curtain.

then is coming pilots door open close loud noise bang bang they coming chatting also and drinking coffee ( can hearing espresso machine brrrrrrrr bzzzzzz ) so they try stay waken ( is good I like awake pilot and not sleeping ) and is this curtain not help passenger sleep - make all such noise kitchen - can hearing sometimes interesting situation what happen last night hotel air staff party!.

only is hard material door can make such noise isolate, curtain is not help. I am 600 GC not space put hard door, but may it be 680 is little more space to inserting hard bending middle design door where is toilet / wardrobe / kitchen place and can make quiet you rear area and is can close, then is front area can enjoy make coffee and reading, open door and outside enjoy 2 peoples can make separate occupations.

Is curtain inside airplane kitchen area is not make sound quiet difference - can hearing every words cabin attendants chitting chatting kitchen all night when is try sleep - pay extra bed and cannot zzzz noisy staff. A380 bad this, is plane very quiet but is staff make same level chatting noise and bang bang metal cupboard and kitchen equipments - need hard door not curtain.

then is coming pilots door open close loud noise bang bang they coming chatting also and drinking coffee ( can hearing espresso machine brrrrrrrr bzzzzzz ) so they try stay waken ( is good I like awake pilot and not sleeping ) and is this curtain not help passenger sleep - make all such noise kitchen - can hearing sometimes interesting situation what happen last night hotel air staff party!.

only is hard material door can make such noise isolate, curtain is not help. I am 600 GC not space put hard door, but may it be 680 is little more space to inserting hard bending middle design door where is toilet / wardrobe / kitchen place and can make quiet you rear area and is can close, then is front area can enjoy make coffee and reading, open door and outside enjoy 2 peoples can make separate occupations.
Thank you for your thoughts. I’m sorry that you found it difficult to sleep on board a jet.
I was a B777 Captain, chit-chatting and flying intercontinentally for thirty years. I realise that a curtain won’t entirely block noise nor light but a curtain will provide some much-needed level of attenuation.
I’m interested specifically in suggestions for attaching that curtain without damaging the wall structure in the galley/bed area.

have look at the gallery pictures on this company who are modifying GC's. There are a couple of pictures of a curtain but doesn't show mount to ceiling. might give some inspiration!

Thank you for your thoughts. I’m sorry that you found it difficult to sleep on board a jet.
I was a B777 Captain, chit-chatting and flying intercontinentally for thirty years. I realise that a curtain won’t entirely block noise nor light but a curtain will provide some much-needed level of attenuation.
I’m interested specifically in suggestions for attaching that curtain without damaging the wall structure in the galley/bed area.
I am think if is possible you are attend Dusseldorf Caravan Salon or such like display many models leisure vehicle near to your place residence and can enter for purposes observe dividers in other such vehicle as caravan is often they are have physical divider and not curtain - you can see how is made to function.
Then is perhaps possible apply such design to you California and having making personal manufacture such a design adapt to make you concept real functions for you, blocking lighting and audio intruding you rear area.

I am agree you 100%, is better is not damage California interior - then is can Vw make not valid warranty if is such works they tell you makes damages and causes of troubles.

If is this much complicate, coming soon Father Christmas. May you write to him and ask kindly he bring black mask no eyes holes and plugs hearing ears, also binding tape holding tight - then is can 1 person sleeps and other is can make little party.

I am think if is possible you are attend Dusseldorf Caravan Salon or such like display many models leisure vehicle near to your place residence and can enter for purposes observe dividers in other such vehicle as caravan is often they are have physical divider and not curtain - you can see how is made to function.
Then is perhaps possible apply such design to you California and having making personal manufacture such a design adapt to make you concept real functions for you, blocking lighting and audio intruding you rear area.

I am agree you 100%, is better is not damage California interior - then is can Vw make not valid warranty if is such works they tell you makes damages and causes of troubles.

If is this much complicate, coming soon Father Christmas. May you write to him and ask kindly he bring black mask no eyes holes and plugs hearing ears, also binding tape holding tight - then is can 1 person sleeps and other is can make little party.
✅✅✅Thank you! Great idea!!

have look at the gallery pictures on this company who are modifying GC's. There are a couple of pictures of a curtain but doesn't show mount to ceiling. might give some inspiration!

Thank you! Great pics and yes, definitely inspired

Good morning, all!
Has anyone considered/been able to fit an airline-style, cabin divider curtain (like between First and Business cabins on an aircraft) to help with light/noise attentuation and so that one partner with insomnia (me) doesn’t upset the other partner (Ross)?
BTW: I found a perfectly-sized washing up bowl for the galley sink from Ikea: it’s called a NOJIG and costs (wait for it………..) £1 !
I’m on a solo trip with Harvey (Ross has gone back to Canada for a family birthday), we’ve bonded and I love him even more! Have spent some time trying to allocate the stowages and containers (it’s my thing, living with mild OCD). Will keep you posted.

View attachment 86468

View attachment 86469

View attachment 86471

View attachment 86472

Hi

Regarding the curtain, we have specified this as an option on our new 5.4m camper….

Here is a screen shot of the configurator and it shows the rail on the roof where it is fixed.

1B97CCE3-3A9A-405E-AB70-DF034FC1F931.png

Thank you! I’ve found a curtain maker who has convinced me of a simple solution with tension wire and fittings. Will post the result!

Back