GC Chrome Pack

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi,

Does anyone know exactly what this includes apart from the grill.

Thanks

Hello there Breeze! nice to meet you I'm new here, I ordered my GC680 1 month ago here in Portugal and they just call me this week to said that my order was changed since it will be 2021 model, so answering your question the only change *which they sent me on the picture attached, is the chrome details on the cabin, and there is other changes as the nav unit, side lights and something about the water pump and grey water tank which I don't know how it was before anyway, any doubt just let me know!

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 13.35.13.png

Hi Laercio,

Welcome.

Very many thanks for the photos regarding the updates and chrome pack. Do you know when the MY 2021 begins production. It’s been known the problems with the water pump. Like to know more about problems with the grey water tank? Maybe it’s winter proofed.

Good news about your van being progressed as a MY 2021.

You are welcome :)

Well they said me that all orders placed in June onwards would be 2021 model, mine will be produced at the week 33

About the grey water tank is something about the water drain position I will ask exactly what it is next time they call me

The other change I forgot to mention is that the diesel heater I originally ordered would be replaced by other model which I can’t confirm if is for one better or cheaper I hope is one newer and better

They didn’t mention nothing about the storage compartment under de NAV system but I noticed that the buttons were removed and that space is deeper with 2 storages instead of one

Also they removed the ParkAssist of my configuration since it will be available only next year because of some kind of parts shortage, you can have this option only if you order the trailer assist which I don’t need it

You are welcome :)

Well they said me that all orders placed in June onwards would be 2021 model, mine will be produced at the week 33

About the grey water tank is something about the water drain position I will ask exactly what it is next time they call me

The other change I forgot to mention is that the diesel heater I originally ordered would be replaced by other model which I can’t confirm if is for one better or cheaper I hope is one newer and better

They didn’t mention nothing about the storage compartment under de NAV system but I noticed that the buttons were removed and that space is deeper with 2 storages instead of one

Also they removed the ParkAssist of my configuration since it will be available only next year because of some kind of parts shortage, you can have this option only if you order the trailer assist which I don’t need it
Good morning Laercio,

Great information for me thanks, I did pick up the storage changes, re chrome pack, I probably have the chrome grill installed upon collection. I opted for the park assist and hope it arrives with it, I did spec a tow bar.

I have the gas water heater. I hope you get the best diesel heater and not a cheaper version.

Well we have exciting times ahead.

Thank you for the information to date.

Take care.

Looking forward to see the pictures of yours and I hope they delivery to you soon :) all my research was made at the German forum I’m so glad I found this one!

I will keep posting any New information I get, thank you!

Looking forward to see the pictures of yours and I hope they delivery to you soon :) all my research was made at the German forum I’m so glad I found this one!

I will keep posting any New information I get, thank you!
Good morning Laercio,

We have not heard from you in a while hope all is going well with you and your 680 and you are enjoying it now there is a little more freedom. Have you noticed any other changes to the MY 2021 any positives or negatives as I have just orders a 680 so interested in your thoughts.

The German forum is great as they are about 12 months ahead, I have even moded the table to make it slightly smaller.

Will

Good morning Will!

Everything is good so far, I’m using mine almost full time since two months ago, the only problem I have is a squeaking noise close to the slide door which I can’t find it

The older problems I read here and on the German forum didn’t happen to me, water pressure is great and never failed, I can’t complain, the only thing that happened to me is that car came from factory with the DRL deactivated and VW wasn’t able to activate

I did purchased the Obdapp device and was able to deactivate The start stop and activate the DRL menu on the nav system, if you order only the light assist you can later activate with the obdapp the lane assit and traffic sign display it will be much cheaper for you!

The Nav system is great by the way and communicate very well with the phone, the airplay is wireless and you can use VW connect app for several functions and information, order yours with anti theft alarm it works great and notify your phone if it is activated

Don’t order a router this radio have it’s own wireless and you can share your phone connection using this network

I ordered the Project Camper black blinds they work great! and never used those from VW

The only wish I have is a bigger battery but honestly since I’m working on the road the separated Eco flow power banks are working great and the solar panel charge the small OEM AGM battery very quickly so I’m staying off the grid for several days with no problem

I think every camper will have annoyances but I’m so glad I choose this one, it can’t compare to anything else, it looks so modern in every aspect can’t believe people compare it to Knaus, I did parking side by one other day and the Knaus Crafter looks nothing like it side by side Knaus looks 10 years old already when new

Order the solar panel is great and of course you will need the led headlights it makes the car so classy it changes everything, you have one on yours so you know, anything you need to clarify just let me know!

Good morning Will!

Everything is good so far, I’m using mine almost full time since two months ago, the only problem I have is a squeaking noise close to the slide door which I can’t find it

The older problems I read here and on the German forum didn’t happen to me, water pressure is great and never failed, I can’t complain, the only thing that happened to me is that car came from factory with the DRL deactivated and VW wasn’t able to activate

I did purchased the Obdapp device and was able to deactivate The start stop and activate the DRL menu on the nav system, if you order only the light assist you can later activate with the obdapp the lane assit and traffic sign display it will be much cheaper for you!

The Nav system is great by the way and communicate very well with the phone, the airplay is wireless and you can use VW connect app for several functions and information, order yours with anti theft alarm it works great and notify your phone if it is activated

Don’t order a router this radio have it’s own wireless and you can share your phone connection using this network

I ordered the Project Camper black blinds they work great! and never used those from VW

The only wish I have is a bigger battery but honestly since I’m working on the road the separated Eco flow power banks are working great and the solar panel charge the small OEM AGM battery very quickly so I’m staying off the grid for several days with no problem

I think every camper will have annoyances but I’m so glad I choose this one, it can’t compare to anything else, it looks so modern in every aspect can’t believe people compare it to Knaus, I did parking side by one other day and the Knaus Crafter looks nothing like it side by side Knaus looks 10 years old already when new

Order the solar panel is great and of course you will need the led headlights it makes the car so classy it changes everything, you have one on yours so you know, anything you need to clarify just let me know!
Very interesting post, thanks.
Be good if there was a way of activating the park assist as the hardware is probably already on the van.
Didn’t know about the OBD app, going to get that and the device. What was the name of the app you got?

Very interesting post, thanks.
Be good if there was a way of activating the park assist as the hardware is probably already on the van.
Didn’t know about the OBD app, going to get that and the device. What was the name of the app you got?
Hi Simon

I bought the Flat Rate option which includes all codes available now and the ones they will release in the future, you have the options to purchase specific functions, unfortunately park assist is not available :(

Obdappshop Crafter

Hi Simon

I bought the Flat Rate option which includes all codes available now and the ones they will release in the future, you have the options to purchase specific functions, unfortunately park assist is not available :(

Obdappshop Crafter
Cool! Keep us posted on future mods.

First I've heard of this. You can just activate electronic systems such as lane assist without paying for them? On an Ocean too?

Good morning Will!

Hi Laercio,

Many thanks for your reply, so pleased you are getting to use it,
When lock down finished here we completed the NC 500 it was a great test bed for the van.

Have you checked your seat as the Germans have ad a few incidences of squeaks form the same area fingers crossed.
Like you I had no issues with the water tap, apparently water on the tap micro switch.
Thank you for the tip with regards to the OBD AppI will check one out.
Like you i have never opened the windscreen covers as its to much of a fag as purchased an all round external thermal cover via Rainbow Screens. I found the Project Camper blinds shortly after, will possibly purchase these for the summer.
Batteries, I read in the latest standard specification there is preparation for a second battery?

I have ordered the solar panel and LED's just awaiting a build date.

Do keep in contact.

Will

First I've heard of this. You can just activate electronic systems such as lane assist without paying for them? On an Ocean too?
I would be surprised if VW didn’t have this locked down a la Tesla, which comes with all necessary hardware but charges to activate software suggest as that required for self parking.

From what I’ve read, some may be interested in deactivatIng lane assist

I would be surprised if VW didn’t have this locked down a la Tesla, which comes with all necessary hardware but charges to activate software suggest as that required for self parking.

Never found it a problem as long as you indicate prior to moving, some Mercedes drivers might find it problematic!

Yes you can activate electronic systems if your car have the necessary equipment, for example the Lane Assist and Traffic Sign Display just need the windshield camera to be activated, you get the camera if you have Light Assist for example, other generic functions as video in motion, DRL options on the nav system, start stop, etc can be activated in any version, yes they do have for the VW California please look at the site I have posted

Hi for now is not locked since they have the permissions for the functions, I had other one that worked great in my Audi which is the OBDEleven and if you look at their website they don’t have any permission yet to any mods on the Crafter after MY2020, and you are correct if you have functions installed from factory and want to just deactivate you can, the menu will show the equipment installed and the button to disable

Hi Laercio,

Many thanks for your reply, so pleased you are getting to use it,
When lock down finished here we completed the NC 500 it was a great test bed for the van.

Have you checked your seat as the Germans have ad a few incidences of squeaks form the same area fingers crossed.
Like you I had no issues with the water tap, apparently water on the tap micro switch.
Thank you for the tip with regards to the OBD AppI will check one out.
Like you i have never opened the windscreen covers as its to much of a fag as purchased an all round external thermal cover via Rainbow Screens. I found the Project Camper blinds shortly after, will possibly purchase these for the summer.
Batteries, I read in the latest standard specification there is preparation for a second battery?

I have ordered the solar panel and LED's just awaiting a build date.

Do keep in contact.

Will
Hi Will you are welcome! I’m glad you did the NC500 looking forward to do it in the future!

Yeah setas are perfect very tight not noises by the way they turn fine without scratching or open the door I was surprised by that since people on videos where not able to do so, how is yours?

You will like the blinds from them is a game changer to take it out without leave the car, ivery nice finished and very light I store them on the upper part of the cabin, the delivery took some time though

Yes mine says that there is a second battery preparation but I didn’t looked at, I have some tied cables under the passenger seat but can say if that is for a battery they don’t know anything at Volkswagen and there is not information on the manual about that!

Great tip for who wants to have the manual in all languages and updated in real time is to download the app “California On Tour”
You just add your vin and all information will be there, I don’t know on Android but at the iphone I needed to create a Apple German account to be able to download and really works great they just update the manual recently and hope to find something about the battery, any further information anyone need just let me know!