Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC fridge

So I have just collected my van with a new fridge under warranty. Looks like they reused the front and drawer. Anyway. First check select 2 or 3 lights. Close door. Open. Ok still 2-3 then flicks back up to full power.
Even if I select less power and keep door open it flicks up to full power after about 10secs.
Am I missing something? Surely they might have checked it was working after replacing it. Failures are frustrating enough but a warranty repair to be faulty immediately is ridiculous.
When you open the fridge all 5 lights light up as a light, is this not what you’re seeing?
Mine does anyway. Have to then press the button which is used to adjust the temp setting to see which setting it’s on.

When you open the fridge all 5 lights light up as a light, is this not what you’re seeing?
Mine does anyway. Have to then press the button which is used to adjust the temp setting to see which setting it’s on.
Interesting. I don’t remember my old fridge doing that before it started misbehaving but if this is the case then that’s great news. Need to investigate it further. It didn’t seem to go back down to the lower setting when I closed and opened it again which I would assume it would do if that was how it was working. If it stops freezing everything then that will be fine.

Chris is Correct NeillyG

I’m glad I didn’t make a fool of myself giving off to them. That’s the beauty of the forum. They told me I could update the sat nav myself but not coming up as an option on the software update. I’m still on 0803 and the sat nav is the non centred one. Anyone managed to update it themselves or do I need to get them to do it at the dealership?

Hi,
If I have understood right from manual , and also in practice, first when you open the fridge it shows with lights the power of cooling, and after a short time all the lights will be on. That is for giving light to you when taking things out or in from fridge. It has nothing to do with power indication. It reads also in manual.

BR Jouko

So I have just collected my van with a new fridge under warranty. Looks like they reused the front and drawer. Anyway. First check select 2 or 3 lights. Close door. Open. Ok still 2-3 then flicks back up to full power.
Even if I select less power and keep door open it flicks up to full power after about 10secs.
Am I missing something? Surely they might have checked it was working after replacing it. Failures are frustrating enough but a warranty repair to be faulty immediately is ridiculous.
Exactly the same with our brand new GC 600 - however you set it, if you close the door it defaults to max coldness, all lights on, meaning leisure battery lasts less than twenty for hours. Anyone know why? Or how to resolve?

Exactly the same with our brand new GC 600 - however you set it, if you close the door it defaults to max coldness, all lights on, meaning leisure battery lasts less than twenty for hours. Anyone know why? Or how to resolve?
See my post#26 above.
Also Do you have solar?

I agree with post#26

Are you sure it’s defaulting to 5 lights for the temperature?
If we set ours on 1 it stays on one, but all five lights come on if you open the fridge as the lights are are in the fridge illumination mode rather than showing what setting your fridge is on.
Simple to test - leave a bottle of water in the fridge -if power is set to 5 lights = frozen bottle.

@itsSteve When you open the fridge all five lights come on, then when you press the button to adjust the fridge temp once it shows you the setting it’s on, then you press the button again to increase the level, one light at a time. Next time you open the fridge all 5 lights are on to give you light.
With the fridge running, not on hook up and no solar you won’t get much more than 24 hrs out of the leisure battery.

So my new fridge seems to be working fine as per post #26. I was just fearing the worst and not reading instructions. However, this is different from what was happening before which is what’s happening to you I think. Just as you closed the fridge it defaulted to max power and everything in the pull out shelf would freeze. Solution was new fridge at dealership. They said they thought there was a fix but ended up ordering a new one. They seem to reuse the existing door and attached slid out base and just change the inner fridge unit.

So my new fridge seems to be working fine as per post #26. I was just fearing the worst and not reading instructions. However, this is different from what was happening before which is what’s happening to you I think. Just as you closed the fridge it defaulted to max power and everything in the pull out shelf would freeze. Solution was new fridge at dealership. They said they thought there was a fix but ended up ordering a new one. They seem to reuse the existing door and attached slid out base and just change the inner fridge unit.
Thank you to NeillyG and Mr T for your comments - really helpful. We're off to France next week and will have more opportunity to check everything out.

Back