Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge seems inconsistent...

Spuktoid

Spuktoid

VIP Member
Went away for the first time this weekend and have some observations on the fridge - has anyone else experienced this or is it supposed to be this way?

Put fridge on a couple of hours before departure (battery) seemed ok and had cooled.

Drive with it on for an hour or so - ice crystals on sides.

Park up and connect to hookup, check fridge an hour later - doesn't feel very cold, put temp dial to 5 causes it to trigger and again- frosting to sides.

Next morning doesn't feel that cold eventually triggers again and frosts.

Unplug and drive home - very cold and frosty on arrival after an hour....

Long winded but here's the question;

Is there a large temperature 'window' when on hookup and the thermostat is active in this mode.

When driving and on generator; is the fridge constantly cooling and thermostat ignored so gets very cold?

This was the case in my old T25 Holdsworth. The fridge temp was not selectable when powered by the alternator...

Thanks

Dave

Having read the posts here

Hi good question I think it works on the outside temp so would make sense that it's getting colder
After a drive I always have mine on 3 and have noticed when the weather is hot ice forms
When it is milder the fridge feels not much different to the outside temp. I think it's more trial an error. I hope this helps :rofl

I have also had concerns over this especially when it is very cold or very hot outside as the fridge sometimes feels like it is not even turned on, so what I did was purchase something similar to this which hangs from the basket in the fridge and gives piece of mind for under £4

Fridge Temperature Monitor

218FeE15gaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We have also noticed variable temperatures. As has been said the outside ambient temperature plays a part.
I think the best precaution is to be careful how you load it. Identify the coldest part and work from there otherwise you'll end up with frozen lettuce!!

I like the idea of the fridge gadget above..... so I've just bought one.

Thanks all for your kind help - have ordered one of those natty thermometers and will keep an eye on what happens.

Dave

I'm not sure if my fridge is working properly. Ive had my Cali on mains hookup in my drive for the past couple of days and have been checking the temperature inside the fridge with a thermometer. At maximum setting on the control panel I am getting zero degrees inside the fridge when the temperature inside the van was 8 degrees C. I turned the setting up to number 5 and after 24 hours the temperature inside the fridge was 8 degrees - the same as the ambient temperature inside the vehicle.

I can hear the fridge start up when I switch it on and can hear the compressor running very quietly. I have a few more months to run under warranty so would really like to establish if I have a faulty fridge. We also plan some trips to warmer climes this year so wonder how the fridge will perform at higher ambient temperatures.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Difficult really to say if there is a fault or not . . . but I have always had the impression that cold weather, colder ambient temperatures, seems to 'confuse' the fridge a bit. Can't think of another way to express it. But we have seen similar things to you (we go away every year to France on a shopping trip before Christmas, keeping the fridge on all the time) though in warmer weather it works just fine.

Lewis