Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC fridge

L

leeb

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi feeling a bit unlucky with my GC680. Fridge now freezes solid anything left in for a few hours....even on "highest" temp setting....(one light only). Assume thermostat gone pop...anyone else suffered same issue?

Try putting it on the "lowest" setting

I found on mine 2 lights on seems to be the sweet spot at the moment. The fridge and heating/hot water seems to be the only solid thing since acquiring the van.
Hopefully you can get this fixed quick!

Best of luck.

As it was on ours until a few weeks ago...about to go back to vw

You really should take up comedy...you're a natural
Not really. The majority of Forum members own the Original California, and on that, the higher the setting the colder the fridge temperature.

You stated " ....even on "highest" temp setting....(one light only). ", so a very reasonable comment.

Not really. The majority of Forum members own the Original California, and on that, the higher the setting the colder the fridge temperature.

You stated " ....even on "highest" temp setting....(one light only). ", so a very reasonable comment.
Idk but from my perspective usually when someone refers to a high temperature it’s hot, and low temperature is cold ? So when he set it to the highest temperature and it still froze, it should have been clear.

Idk but from my perspective usually when someone refers to a high temperature it’s hot, and low temperature is cold ? So when he set it to the highest temperature and it still froze, it should have been clear.
Well on mine " highest " temperature setting is 7, and that freezes. " Lowest" temperature setting doesn't freeze.
The setting relates to how hard the fridge compressor works.

or you could just admit you misunderstood.
Likewise.

I suggest you re-read the original post, the reply and the subsequent reply by the OP, which I was replying to.

Hi feeling a bit unlucky with my GC680. Fridge now freezes solid anything left in for a few hours....even on "highest" temp setting....(one light only). Assume thermostat gone pop...anyone else suffered same issue?
we had same problem..took it back to the dealer and they have replaced the whole fridge unit..

we had same problem..took it back to the dealer and they have replaced the whole fridge unit..
Interesting....I think I would be happier if you had said it needed a small part replacement. Should it happen again after the warranty expires ...hmmm

I am waiting for a new fridge or a repair for the constant full power issue. However in the meantime I have always wondered what the different settings are with this button. I presume one of the modes is night mode . Then there’s an option with the ❄️ and and another that’s just ❄️ or nothing at all. Has this anything to do with my freezing issues? I usually don’t bother with that button at all and it’s just the lights I try unsuccessfully to control with the bigger ❄️ button beside the power one.
I can’t remember where I put the manual so hoping someone knows off the top of their heads. Thanks.

We leave it with two or three lights on. We stopped using the night setting as it seems to ice up. Now is that higher or lower?
Good luck

511C7975-CA8E-457B-986D-0636DF10BC09.jpeg

F61BB2C3-E55C-4DE8-A62F-88AC6D48E0E4.jpeg

We have found 1 light sufficient over last week travelling in Spain. Keeps frozen stuff frozen and chilled stuff (beer) spot on

Thanks for that. Just a shame my fridge is all or nothing. Might try night mode see if it helps. New fridge, tap and step on order just sadly not before summer trip.

Reliability seems a serious issue... fridges..water pumps...steps...all third party suppliers.
VW need to sort out QC

Reliability seems a serious issue... fridges..water pumps...steps...all third party suppliers.
VW need to sort out QC
Your will only to see here writing peoples having troubles.

I can writing each week what is i am having wunderbar experience my GC and is nothing kaput - but how many week i will write same and is somebody will tell to me - Stop to writing which is nothing is kaput you campervan.

And so is each peoples who is this camping machine - is not each peoples using computer writing program make announce each week perfect functions our campervan.

Is many peoples enjoy campervan but is not tells computer how wonderful experience they are be having.

So i make announcement here - is perfect functions my campervan Gc i am most delight and I am hope now you are know is not serious issue my camper - now you also can be happy Vw is not must sort what is a qc.

Happy campings to all who is not this program and is enjoy Gc which is nothing must be complain.

Your will only to see here writing peoples having troubles.

I can writing each week what is i am having wunderbar experience my GC and is nothing kaput - but how many week i will write same and is somebody will tell to me - Stop to writing which is nothing is kaput you campervan.

And so is each peoples who is this camping machine - is not each peoples using computer writing program make announce each week perfect functions our campervan.

Is many peoples enjoy campervan but is not tells computer how wonderful experience they are be having.

So i make announcement here - is perfect functions my campervan Gc i am most delight and I am hope now you are know is not serious issue my camper - now you also can be happy Vw is not must sort what is a qc.

Happy campings to all who is not this program and is enjoy Gc which is nothing must be complain.
I love my 680. Yep it’s got a few issues and I will be glad when they are fixed but it’s great and the issues don’t prevent enjoying it. It is annoying when things stop working and this is a place where people can look for others in a similar boat and any solutions. Just because we ask about problems does not mean we don’t enjoy our vans. I have learnt a lot of useful things here. My step fridge and tap may need replaced but I am very much looking forward to my summer trip.

I love my 680. Yep it’s got a few issues and I will be glad when they are fixed but it’s great and the issues don’t prevent enjoying it. It is annoying when things stop working and this is a place where people can look for others in a similar boat and any solutions. Just because we ask about problems does not mean we don’t enjoy our vans. I have learnt a lot of useful things here. My step fridge and tap may need replaced but I am very much looking forward to my summer trip.
Hallo, I am very agree you very good way to writer such situation better than can i.

GC is really wunderbar camping machine and i am desire such peoples who is consideration make purchase such holiday machine Vw Grand California must not worry when is read story such then Leeb writes they are 1 catastroph.

Of course is many marque camping machine has niggle problem and is really very super Vw Gc peoples can asking and helping each others place such than here, and is great we can have such helping program help each others.

I like to tell peoples my sunshine rays Vw Gc such a super holiday machine with no such troubles.

I am tells good friend what is working Vw technical progress area my excellent experience Vw Gc and he tells to me - can be good and back luck camping machine and can be good bad luck some peoples also which is owning such machine - he tells to me especial problem they are know comes holiday hire camper and is not owner look after so well than who is buy self.

I really wishing to you and to every GC owner most wonderful summertime holiday make and of course i am delight to help all peoples i am see also my very little knowings because is my Gc not any such troubles.
When you are wonder Gc is good - Yes you must buy - is real excellence and make you many happy experience.
Do not be worry is not many such serious troubles fridge wasser pump and step and if such be is Vw makes repairs to you complement you are happy camping.

So I have just collected my van with a new fridge under warranty. Looks like they reused the front and drawer. Anyway. First check select 2 or 3 lights. Close door. Open. Ok still 2-3 then flicks back up to full power.
Even if I select less power and keep door open it flicks up to full power after about 10secs.
Am I missing something? Surely they might have checked it was working after replacing it. Failures are frustrating enough but a warranty repair to be faulty immediately is ridiculous.

Back