Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date

M

maui2512

Guest User
Just found out that my build will commence on 28 Oct and likely to be here in the UK by the end of November :D ...I'm planning to have it registered in Jan 2014 to maybe keep a bit more value in it (couldn't wait until March to get new plates!) but now wondering if I can hold out that long...what do your reckon, does it make a huge difference to the value if I get it registered in 14 (but with 63 plates) versus 13?

If you plan to keep it for a long time 5 yrs plus, I don't think it makes much difference.

Otherwise I would wait. Jan to Mar is not ideal cali weather unless you are planning a long trip to s europe. The cali looks after you in winter very well, but rain ruins many holidays for folk regardless of their accommodation

Also you should anticipate some teething problems anyway - missing bits, ipod connectivity, maybe a rattle that needs fixing .... so I would not advise getting a cali and immediately going on a long trip anyway

If you wait, make sure noone touches your van as I think part scavenging goes on - mine was a no miles demo van and various bits were missing. The handover checklist on the forum is very good.

Alternatively, get it and go on holiday!!! :D

It won't make a lot of difference really . Life is too short get out and enjoy :thumb

I wouldn't take the delivery date as End of November as the gospel truth I ordered my Cali on the 26:06:13 with a build date of week commencing 18:08:13 and delivery date of 23:09:13 and have now been told it will be about another 3 to 4 weeks :headbang

thanks all...well, i might just go ahead and register it whenever it arrives then (as it sounds as though the delivery date may well be delayed anyway) - I actually don't think I'd be able to leave it at the dealership, knowing it was there, just to keep the registration date in 2014...I'm far too impatient!

I hadn't planned to do an overnight trip over the winter until we get used to it anyway, but it sounds like it would be useful to just be using it and getting used to driving it etc before the spring/summer anyway to iron out any issues.

It's dreadful having to wait, I now start questioning myself over whether I've made the right decision over buying it, whether I should get the Blackberry instead of the Natural Grey, etc etc!!

Remember that you can tax a new vehicle for a year and a week. Which means you can have your Cali on the road seven days before the end of its first tax month. This doesn't cost anymore. I think it is done to help the DVLA spread their load.
Have Fun

My Cali was built in early December, and delivered to the dealer early in January.... I waited until March, but two weeks before collection I went to check it out at the dealer, and there were other Cali's being collected that day!... I couldn't believe people couldn't wait two weeks to get the new plate.

The dealer explained that build year was more important than registration year!!

I think I would be inclined to wait until January unless you have anything planned over Christmas. December is a busy time and you may not use it much. Even five years plus down the line I'm sure you would find that a 2014 year would sell easier than a 2013 year reg at the same value and registered only days apart. I don't think that 'in year' it would make so much difference, E.g 63 or 14 so can understand people collecting in March rather than April.

I realise most of you are probably fed up reading about me waiting for my Cali to arrive but I've just heard it's apparently landed in the UK now so any ideas on how long will it take to get to the dealer. Many thanks for putting up with me :bananadance