Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC problems

Volkswagen commissions the build and install the parts.
They put their name to them.
If the products are inferior, they shouldn’t be used.

There seems to be a GC issue posted day by day on the forum. Surprising, considering the small number that have been produced…???
I am thrill tell you ( day by day ) such is all previous days i am have not issue my GC - all is fucntions very well.

I am think I will tell you once time each week when is my GC function perfect - then you is know day by day how is function well my GC.
It could be amazing each owner do same and then you see true picture

Volkswagen commissions the build and install the parts.
They put their name to them.
If the products are inferior, they shouldn’t be used.

There seems to be a GC issue posted day by day on the forum. Surprising, considering the small number that have been produced…???
You’ll find the products used ARE the best products.

Truma, Dometic, Thule etc. are the best products available for the part installed.

Hello,

I think that there are three areas that collite somehow:
  1. Design
  2. Quality / reliability
  3. Expectations / needs
Design
Volkswagen chose to design the Grand California in their way. Of course there was a lot of research, testing and comparing involved, but still there is a list of design outcomes that I don't understand. But to be honest, I should not complain about those, because I could have tested it more and better before I bought the camper.

Quality
It seems that there are a great number of Grand California owners who never experienced any (or just little) trouble with their camper. Good for them.
But there also seems to be a number of owners who experience a lot of trouble (including me) which is very heart breaking.
Many items are assembled with parts from suppliers, but at the end VW sells the camper with their batch under their name. So they are responsible for it. For instance the engine could be made by Cadbury for all I care, as long as the engine is reliable, economical and reasonable powerful for this kind of vehicle. If there is an issue with the engine I go to VW and not to Cadbury (so to speak).

Expectations
Will it be used by 2x people (old or young) or a small family, with dog or without? Do people have special needs or is comfort in general high on the agenda? Are the owners ok with taking on tour only the minimum or do they need more? Will the camper be used during the year or only in the summer? I think the list is endless.

If I let pass by the last year I wonder would I decide the same, purchasing the Grand California 600? Honestly? I don't know. I lost the months from July to November 2021 because the camper was more in the workshop than with me. Also for me there are a few design issues that came to light I am not entire happy with.
On the other side the Crafter drives well, issues are sorted (I hope I will get the new tap for the kitchen before the holiday) and things I missed are added / changed. Does it meet my needs - yes, does it meet my wishes - no.
But I need to be honest to myself also. What would be the alternative (especially in Ireland)? If I configure a Knaus Boxdrive 680 (maybe affordable) or a Hymer M-LT CrossOver (certainly not affordable) I would wait 18x or 24x months and pay a lot of money more. Also the Knaus dealer (Donegal) or Hymer dealer (also Donegal) are 4 - 5 hours drive away in case something happens. Ok, issues with MAN or Mercedes can be sorted with the local dealer.

For me is the VW Grand California a good camper with room for improvements (design and quality). We got it now and make the best of it to explore Europe and if the circumstances allow it spend a few months in North America.

Almost happy Grand California 600
Eberhard

Back