Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC "Service Tunnel" access

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Title may sound a bit strange, but I am refering to the floor tunnel that goes between the fresh water tank area to the electric cupboard.
I've manage to fit a small flat plate microwave (no tunntable) on a "YES" shelf in the cupboard beside the wash room. There are 240v spare connectors ready to just plug into in the fresh water tank area. Is it possible to get a cable through the tunnel from the electric cupboard and up to the spare connectors?
Thanks
Don

Think I've sorted it. Take the front panel off the fresh water tank, 4 screws. A bit awkward but then you have access both sides of the tunnel....

Think I've sorted it. Take the front panel off the fresh water tank, 4 screws. A bit awkward but then you have access both sides of the tunnel....
There are also spare WAGO connections in the technical cupboard if you can remove the panels.

There are also spare WAGO connections in the technical cupboard if you can remove the panels.
Yes, I found them… after taking the panel off the water tank first! Lol
Putting all back together now, just need to order the connector.
Many thanks…

Yes, I found them… after taking the panel off the water tank first! Lol
Putting all back together now, just need to order the connector.
Many thanks…
I have a spare that I can pop in the post to you?

That would be brill, that way at least I'll get the correct connector that way.
I'll DM you.
Many thanks!

Title may sound a bit strange, but I am refering to the floor tunnel that goes between the fresh water tank area to the electric cupboard.
I've manage to fit a small flat plate microwave (no tunntable) on a "YES" shelf in the cupboard beside the wash room. There are 240v spare connectors ready to just plug into in the fresh water tank area. Is it possible to get a cable through the tunnel from the electric cupboard and up to the spare connectors?
Thanks
Don
great idea, out of interest which microwave did you go for?

We went for a Sharp YC-QG204AU-B Compact 20litre 800W Flat Bed with Grill.
About £100 from Amazon.
I used the YES shelf as a template to make a “retaining board”. Basically a board the same shape as the shelf but with holes in the correct place for the microwave feet to go into, so it doesn’t slide around in the shelf. I used a bit of dibond composite board I had laying about, but I suppose thin ply would do the same.
You have to take the cupboard door off to get it in, and try in on the shelf first to get the position correct before making the retaining board. Too close to the left and when the microwave door is open fully it will contact on the cupboard door hinge. But also the fan is on the right hand side, so needs just a bit of space for airflow, so a compromise is needed. I have it so it touches the hinge, but still allows the microwave door to open almost fully, but also leaving adequate ventilation on the fan side.
You can get power from the electric cupboard next door. Undo the vertical panel facing you as you open the door and you will see spare Wago connectors.
Think it will be handy to have!

We went for a Sharp YC-QG204AU-B Compact 20litre 800W Flat Bed with Grill.
About £100 from Amazon.
I used the YES shelf as a template to make a “retaining board”. Basically a board the same shape as the shelf but with holes in the correct place for the microwave feet to go into, so it doesn’t slide around in the shelf. I used a bit of dibond composite board I had laying about, but I suppose thin ply would do the same.
You have to take the cupboard door off to get it in, and try in on the shelf first to get the position correct before making the retaining board. Too close to the left and when the microwave door is open fully it will contact on the cupboard door hinge. But also the fan is on the right hand side, so needs just a bit of space for airflow, so a compromise is needed. I have it so it touches the hinge, but still allows the microwave door to open almost fully, but also leaving adequate ventilation on the fan side.
You can get power from the electric cupboard next door. Undo the vertical panel facing you as you open the door and you will see spare Wago connectors.
Think it will be handy to have!
Amazing thanks, I may have to do the same!! :)

That would be brill, that way at least I'll get the correct connector that way.
I'll DM you.
Many thanks!
I'm afraid you can only DM between VIP members.
Do Not type your phone number or email address, but take a photo and post that instead. Internet bots won't pick that up as a telephone number or email address - safer.

Out of interest how did you take this panel, I couldn’t find any accessible screws when I tried last year

Hi Andrew, if you lift up the "bed spring" lid from over the water tank you will see the front panel is held on by 2 x plastic blocks each side, each with 2 screws screwed into the framework. You need a magnetic torx bit to avoid loosing the screws, but just remove 2 screws per block (they are not tight) and the panel releases from the top and you pull it up out of it's channel. similar to the gas locker panel.
Not too difficult as long as you have magnetised your torx bit first.

Hi Andrew, if you lift up the "bed spring" lid from over the water tank you will see the front panel is held on by 2 x plastic blocks each side, each with 2 screws screwed into the framework. You need a magnetic torx bit to avoid loosing the screws, but just remove 2 screws per block (they are not tight) and the panel releases from the top and you pull it up out of it's channel. similar to the gas locker panel.
Not too difficult as long as you have magnetised your torx bit first.
Thank you for letting me know for next time I want to dismantle it !

Back