Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC680 and motorway services.

Simon1

Simon1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Does anyone with a 680 use the normal car park at services or do you go to the Lorries/caravan area? I have always seen long panel vans in the car area so I took my 680 in on the way back from picking it up. It was at night so wasn't busy but realised if a few cars park around me I wouldn't have been able to get out. I've never used the lorry area but I think I will in future unless its a massive car park where I can park at the edge well away from others.

Does anyone with a 680 use the normal car park at services or do you go to the Lorries/caravan area? I have always seen long panel vans in the car area so I took my 680 in on the way back from picking it up. It was at night so wasn't busy but realised if a few cars park around me I wouldn't have been able to get out. I've never used the lorry area but I think I will in future unless its a massive car park where I can park at the edge well away from others.
Strictly speaking if you can't fit within the parking bay you should use the Caravan/Motorhome/HGV area.

Strictly speaking if you can't fit within the parking bay you should use the Caravan/Motorhome/HGV area.

I hate to be contentious, but says who? Are motorway services subject to local council legislation? I thought that they made their own rules, and stick them on a notice 3 metres up a lamp post where you can't read them.
I agree that it makes sense, but I don't think an artic driver would thank you for taking up an HGV space instead of two car spaces.
In my moho days I often parked in services car parks, usually by hanging the rear over a verge if possible, or two bays at the end of a row. Width is usually the deciding factor; I agree that some car park access lanes can be a tight fit and best avoided.
I don't know if every motorway services has dedicated motorhome parking and in some instances where there has been a number of spaces have been occupied by cars.

It would make sense for them to have 3 areas as I agree I would feel uncomfortable parking next to a huge HGV knowing there aren't many spaces for truckers that have no choice but to either park there or have to drive on if no spaces. A 3rd area for motorhomes and panel vans would solve the problem.

A 3rd area for motorhomes and panel vans would solve the problem.
A lot, but not all, motorway services do have dedicated motorhome/ caravan parking, but it's often abused by selfish car owners, usually when that area is closer to the services building.
I have only once seen supervision; that was at Wetherby on a bank holiday weekend.
Most U.K. service areas are only interested in making you pay for a protracted stay.
Once again, like Aires, the U.K. is light years behind Europe in these matters as anyone who has experienced facilities such as those provided by Asfinag in Austria would agree.

A lot, but not all, motorway services do have dedicated motorhome/ caravan parking, but it's often abused by selfish car owners, usually when that area is closer to the services building.
I have only once seen supervision; that was at Wetherby on a bank holiday weekend.
Most U.K. service areas are only interested in making you pay for a protracted stay.
Once again, like Aires, the U.K. is light years behind Europe in these matters as anyone who has experienced facilities such as those provided by Asfinag in Austria would agree.
I imagine they don't feel the need to fully cater for motorhomes/campers and just do the minimum as they don't see them as spending much money and assume they already have their own supplies.

Only problem is because they make the rules and the rules normally say you must park entirely inside the marked parking Bay Area it would be impossible to park a 680 or a large Motorhome in the bay..They love this because they can nick you and send you the £100 fine..Because you didn’t follow the rules..

Only problem is because they make the rules and the rules normally say you must park entirely inside the marked parking Bay Area it would be impossible to park a 680 or a large Motorhome in the bay..They love this because they can nick you and send you the £100 fine..Because you didn’t follow the rules..
Hope I haven't got a fine on the way! I'm not going to risk it again.

Hope I haven't got a fine on the way! I'm not going to risk it again.
I only have a 600 but I nearly always park in the "Big Boys" car park if I can as it is usually quieter and lets face it HGV drivers in general are much more experienced at manoeuvring their vehicles than a great deal of car drivers around.

I only have a 600 but I nearly always park in the "Big Boys" car park if I can as it is usually quieter and lets face it HGV drivers in general are much more experienced at manoeuvring their vehicles than a great deal of car drivers around.
Do you ever find there to be no room and if that was the case can you go around to the car park(or is it one way) or do you just have to move on to the next services? I've never really paid much attention before being in a car.

Even in the Cali have had times when it’s been impossible to open drivers door so went in side sliding door and walked through to drivers seat! Also tend to park at the end of supermarket/ikea car park as have tears if I get dings on my doors!

Do you ever find there to be no room and if that was the case can you go around to the car park(or is it one way) or do you just have to move on to the next services? I've never really paid much attention before being in a car.
Not really, i have never found the lorry park full, but then in truth i can' remember ev being unable to find a space in the car park in my 50 years of driving.