Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorway Services Stop Over?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

We need to go to Taunton this afternoon/tonight ready for something we are doing early tomorrow morning there. We have got a Britstop organised but given the snow etc, it might not be accessible as it is a few miles into the villages besides the M5.

We can ring them on the way to see what their local roads are like but my other thought was that we could use Bridgwater services to park up overnight.

Is this advisable / safe / any tips?

I was thinking if we do this, keep roof down, no exterior window cover, just stealth basically. Park in the normal car park?

Cheers

Just camp there, roof up will be ok. They will charge though, think if over 2 hours etc. Plus it’s the West Country & the U.K., so perfectly safe.

Good stuff.

I've just looked at the charges. Is it a 'car / small van' or a 'caravan/motorhome'?

It's technically registered as a car isn't it? M1 class?

Good stuff.

I've just looked at the charges. Is it a 'car / small van' or a 'caravan/motorhome'?

It's technically registered as a car isn't it? M1 class?

No idea, but you will see on arrival re charges.

Plus it may be an idea to check if the larger service area at Taunton Deane has showers for the truckers, you could then use those on Sunday morning.

Did similar last week Kettering to Taunton and stayed at the new Gloucester services southbound. Was ok and would do again if needed.

What was disappointing and not sure if all services are the same, but the main building actually closed overnight meaning a walk from the designated motor home area to the 24hr garage. Guess it’s ok if your in a white whale or caravan. In the end I found a smaller parking area which is probably used by staff but was just a stones throw from the garage was well lit and covered by a security cam.

I think the big advantage is I was able to be up and gone by 6am for a nice clear run to Taunton the next morning.

Done that a few times during runs up and down the country. On long runs (being the miser that I am) keep an alarm for 2 hrs and then drive a bit and sleep the next 2 hrs at the next motorway services. Absolutely safe. If you want to be anymore safer and ready, don't turn the drivers seat around for a quick move if you feel unsafe. Otherwise it is perfectly fine. Do it and you will learn to love it. The benefits of a Cali!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. By the looks of the weather today we might well be ok. above freezing temps and some rain will down there will hopefully help clear some of the roads so we can get to the britstop which we want to get to. Just wanted a plan B.

Snowy cali adventure begins!

There is an Avon and Somerset Police warning against road travel in the whole of the area unless absolutely necessary as of this morning. Treacherous ice conditions.

Back