Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC680 drive away awning

Ian on the road

Ian on the road

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
You know how it is, no matter how big, you always need more. After a 4 night trip we realise that we need an awning to be able to dump stuff, let waterproofs dry etc.

Has anyone bought a drive away awning for a 680 that they can recommend. A personal rec is always better than a retailer suggestion, especially where they have no/little experience with the model.

I don't know, but is the rollout awning a bit too high to attach a driveaway? Maybe look at a pup tent of sorts?

I’ve been thinking about an awning too but don’t have any previous experience. Vango appear to be the go to make for. Inflatable drive away awnings? As for the height I presume you would need a tall awning or one suitable for a motorhome? And a step up stool!

The height would require a Motorhome model.

Budget dictates the model. As new or last year models can be found.

How large and frame type, air or pole are starting criteria.

You know how it is, no matter how big, you always need more. After a 4 night trip we realise that we need an awning to be able to dump stuff, let waterproofs dry etc.

Has anyone bought a drive away awning for a 680 that they can recommend. A personal rec is always better than a retailer suggestion, especially where they have no/little experience with the model.
I have a outwell paradise awning, been using it for 7yrs on and off.
Had it set up last year with the joker for 3mths on a resident pitch in the new forest. Did look funny as the van dwarf it.
Was handy for storage though.
Only have a very old pic of it set up on cali, cost about £250 it’s still like new (very well made).A4DF3F60-E84C-411D-9851-BF7CFA16041F.jpeg

Went for this one
£240 discount but then you need then drive away kit but will be ideal for the two of us for a bit more space and somewhere to shove the waterproofs whilst they dry.

I’ve toyed on and off with drive away awnings and always found them blooming too big - though admittedly that was on T5 & T6 Cali’s - things might of been easier if there was just 2 of us and not 4 of us plus bikes, paddle board and yes the kitchen sink!!!
Anyhow, I found a modular approach worked for us - Aldi do a pop up gazebo type awning with an attachable storage tent that can also sleep 2 - they’ve done it for the last 2 summers at £99 - it’s bomb proof and packs down small.
I also have a Decathlon shelter tent 2.5m x 2.0 m that packs down really well - both attached at the end of the wind out Thule awnings.
I’ve also made my own awning box tents to enclose the wind outs - see photos. Online the cost is bonkers and I’ve made mine for £125 all in - just time on top of that.
The reason I’ve gone modular is that if we are camping on the continent then the pop is perfect, as I use army shelter sheets as curtains. In the UK we tend to stick with the Decathlon shelter tent which is blow up - again that didn’t cost very much - £99 again I think!

954A87FC-B9F1-4D0A-8503-60C3B5437C1A.jpeg

053E4DDF-FD72-4C77-B9FE-49DD19786F59.jpeg

BA818281-5D43-4A27-BB59-1FEA98EA92DF.jpeg

F597E354-0F72-4F25-A4A7-E4FB1BFFBC46.jpeg

Back