Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind-out Beach awning: compatible with drive-away awnings??

M

Mike Hammill

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,
Thinking about a drive-away awning and wondering if they can be fitted over the wind-out awning? Does it need to be removed? This would be no big deal and would remove some drag.
Cheers,
Mike and Maddy

Yes they can fit over the awning and tie down at the other side of the bus. Or you can attach the drive away to it using a kador strip. So no,you don't need to remove it. Leave it on. It's not a cali without it.

You can use the figure of 8 strip to attach to a slightly open wind out awning (top edge) simply clips on, then wind the awning back in, really secure and easy to detach when you want to drive away

Yes they can fit over the awning and tie down at the other side of the bus. Or you can attach the drive away to it using a kador strip. So no,you don't need to remove it. Leave it on. It's not a cali without it.
Great thank you - any recommendations for a small - 2m x 2m (?) drive-away?

You can use the figure of 8 strip to attach to a slightly open wind out awning (top edge) simply clips on, then wind the awning back in, really secure and easy to detach when you want to drive away
Thank you - we are looking for a smallish one to cook in - about 2m x 2m - do you have any recommendations please?

I have a Kampa air awning, small enough to take anywhere, large enough to be useful

Mine is a travel pod mini air, no longer made, current model is Travel pod action air which is the same except action air has a small canopy over the zipped rear opening door

Dimensions are approx 1.8 x 2.9m wide connection to the van adds approx 90cm to the length) so takes up a foot print of approx 3m x 3m

Can add an internal bedroom if needed!

Head height 2.05m

Check out the Kampa website for more details and current versions
Kampa do a pole version of the mini if you don’t want the air version

Second hand possibly on file bay !

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Kampa air awning, small enough to take anywhere, large enough to be useful

Mine is a travel pod mini air, no longer made, current model is Travel pod action air which is the same except action air has a small canopy over the zipped rear opening door

Dimensions are approx 1.8 x 2.9m wide connection to the van adds approx 90cm to the length) so takes up a foot print of approx 3m x 3m

Can add an internal bedroom if needed!

Head height 2.05m

Check out the Kampa website for more details and current versions
Kampa do a pole version of the mini if you don’t want the air version

Second hand possibly on file bay !

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds excellent - checking the Kampa site now -Thank you!

I just bought the Vango Kela IV, think its pretty much the same size as the Kampa air and is also inflatable. Also attaches directly to the awning with the 6mm to 4mm kador strip.
Could be worth looking at how big the storage bags are of each as I would guess you want it to take up as little space as possible. The Kela IV has quite a large bag.

I just bought the Vango Kela IV, think its pretty much the same size as the Kampa air and is also inflatable. Also attaches directly to the awning with the 6mm to 4mm kador strip.
Could be worth looking at how big the storage bags are of each as I would guess you want it to take up as little space as possible. The Kela IV has quite a large bag.

Good call regarding storage / pack size

Not sure how you would do that with the roof up but most drive away awnings have a "tube" sewn to the connection to the van. This can take a rod and it then goes over the top of the wind out awning. Held on with a couple of bungees.

I have a Kampa Motion Air that I am selling for £295. It is a year and a half old and was £750 when new.

I have a Kampa Motion Air that I am selling for £295. It is a year and a half old and was £750 when new.
Thanks Steve, I will look at them and see if it will do. We need something small and bug proof for cooking in when in Scotland. Also windows to enjoy the view. Cheers, Mike

Bear in mind that the new motion air is bigger than ours (they increased the size recently). 43467

Last edited:
How didvyou get on? ( I'm currently looking at getting the Kela so I'm interested to find out)

We have the khayam motor dome which is 3x3 and fits on the edge of the awning with the figure of 8 piece.
8405f61a25a0c89ea20559472b7df8b8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How didvyou get on? ( I'm currently looking at getting the Kela so I'm interested to find out)
Hi, sorry for the delay. We got a Vango Palm Air. Suits us regards size and fits in the van OK. The groundsheet isn't sew-in which may be an issue with midges as you need to be careful to put it up on flat ground to ensure there are no gaps. Inflation and deflation are easy. You wind out the van awing a bit, link the Kador strip and connect it to the driveway using a figure of eight, peg it out and inflate. Finally wind the van awning back to tension the drive-away link. We have had problems with poles breaking in high winds on setting up other tents but there should be none of that with an inflatable. There is a considerable leeway when it comes to driving back and connecting - wind the van awning out to suit - so reattaching is easy if you peg out a bit of line showing where the wheels need to go. The only problem is rain can come in between the van awning and the van itself (straight on to the bed if the door is open) and there is always the large gap between the van and the ground! These are common to all awnings I suppose. We would recommend having as much ventilation as possible while cooking to avoid condensation.

We replaced our Kampa Motion Air for two reasons - first we needed more room and second, no matter what we did with the Motion air we always somehow got some water leaking in at the connection. We bought a Touring Air and the connection is wide enough to fit over the roll out awning (just) so we are now nice and cozy. Now if only we could fit it on a standard pitch:D

Hello. I've just bought the Kela IV air awning too and am looking at this Kador strip you mention to attach it to my 2010 van w.o awning. May I ask how long a length of the Kador strip I need as I have no idea.
Thank yoy in advance for any help o_O:help

Not sure how you would do that with the roof up but most drive away awnings have a "tube" sewn to the connection to the van. This can take a rod and it then goes over the top of the wind out awning. Held on with a couple of bungees.
You can still do it with the roof up. One round the back and one round the front and a Bit of creativity with the middle bit. I've done it. But then I flogged my vango kela 3 as it wasn't for me. Just too much faff but was nice when up.

Hello. I've just bought the Kela IV air awning too and am looking at this Kador strip you mention to attach it to my 2010 van w.o awning. May I ask how long a length of the Kador strip I need as I have no idea.
Thank yoy in advance for any help o_O:help
Hi, the one I bought in a bundle with the tent is 3meters long. This is plenty, it overhangs out of the end of the awning by about 30cm (I may cut that bit off to make it more tidy, but will probably end up just leaving it).
Otherwise just make sure you get the figure8 plastic strip that attaches the kador stip to the tent. That seems to come as standard from most places. I bought mine from funkyleisure, ,works a treat!

Back