Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC680 Votronic MPP250

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi, I wonder if someone with solar fitted could take a pic of their Votronic Solar Regulator showing the LED's lit when in reasonable sunshine.
The only LED that appears on my regulator is flashing MPP, which you should get at night when there's no sunshine.
It has been in at VW and they say that the solar is working, which it seems to be. Without being connected to the mains or engine running, the leisure battery will recharge to 100%, but on the regulator itself there is no indication of charging or that the battery is full, just continuous flashing MPP. So although it is charging, I am not convinced it is charging correctly, or at its full potential.
Also, I fitted a Votronic bluetooth monitor, and since fitting I have never seen an indication of charging, it shows the voltage and "Standby", see pic.
I am trying to book it in again and would like evidence of what the regulator led's should look like when working properly. The fault seems to be within the regulator and I have tried the red switch reset and regulator fuse in/out, without any effect.
Any help appreciated!
Thanks Don

Votronic App.PNG

It’s dull here in Louth at the moment and I have the EHU hooked up as preparing to go to Somerset tomorrow afternoon, so my readings would be no use at the moment. But looking at your voltage, as you say it is showing fully charged/floating charge as mine is usually 13.4V when at 100%. Have you tried using it under load, perhaps having the lights on, fridge on etc. For a while tonight, so that the control panel shows less than 100% and the. See if the solar brings it back up to full tomorrow?

Yes I can try that, thanks, but it does seem to charge as I haven't had it on hook-up for ages. I cannot understand why the APP shows no solar charging over the last 30 days, when it must have been charging. I'm also wondering why the APP says "Standby".
Very strange!

Hi, I wonder if someone with solar fitted could take a pic of their Votronic Solar Regulator showing the LED's lit when in reasonable sunshine.
The only LED that appears on my regulator is flashing MPP, which you should get at night when there's no sunshine.
It has been in at VW and they say that the solar is working, which it seems to be. Without being connected to the mains or engine running, the leisure battery will recharge to 100%, but on the regulator itself there is no indication of charging or that the battery is full, just continuous flashing MPP. So although it is charging, I am not convinced it is charging correctly, or at its full potential.
Also, I fitted a Votronic bluetooth monitor, and since fitting I have never seen an indication of charging, it shows the voltage and "Standby", see pic.
I am trying to book it in again and would like evidence of what the regulator led's should look like when working properly. The fault seems to be within the regulator and I have tried the red switch reset and regulator fuse in/out, without any effect.
Any help appreciated!
Thanks Don

View attachment 123733
Uo
Yes I can try that, thanks, but it does seem to charge as I haven't had it on hook-up for ages. I cannot understand why the APP shows no solar charging over the last 30 days, when it must have been charging. I'm also wondering why the APP says "Standby".
Very strange!
Turning the isolator switch off and on does not disconnect/power cycle the Votronic MPPT controller as it is on the battery side of the at isolator so it will charge the leisure battery independent of switch position. If you want to see if a power cycle reboot can get it to start reporting what is going on pull the fuse in the front of the unit.

Thanks for that Gordon, and yes I have done that. It seems to go through a bit of a recycle, with appropriate LED's lighting to the point I think it is fixed, but then falls back to just a flashing MPP.
I was suprised when I replaced the 20amp fuse there must be some current going on in the circuit, as there was quite a spark on reconnection. So much so, I took the fuse out again to make sure it was still ok, so there must be something going on with the solar. It seems just the unit not displaying correctly.
After the reboot the App display on my phone did not show anything different.
Also it is so frustrating with VW, for 2 days I have tried just to get it booked in at Carlisle. There are no "Van" appointment slots avaiable. I will pay them a personal visit tomorrow!