Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC680 Wetroom light

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all, I am new to the forum and yesterday picked up my new to me GC 680. We stayed overnight at a pub stop over which we really enjoyed. We are still getting used to the van after caravanning for many years, and so far so good!
But, there has to be a but! The wetroom light! Initially great! Open the door and it turns on! But if you are not continually waving your hands about it turns off after 30 seconds or so leaving you in complete darkness, and it you are taking your contact lenses out at the time, it is not good!
Is this normal? Can the timeout period be adjusted? Is it a warrantee issue (still less than a year old)?
I would much prefer a simple switch, on when you go in, off when you come out. Is this possible to do if the above optons fail?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Don

HI DonGraham
The lighting of the old GC600 and GC680 models have a sensor that detects movement
The new 2023 models are equipped with an external switch to replace the sensor

Replacement of the sensor by another system is possible
See the following topics:

Personally I use an additional Led lighting rechargeable on USB socket
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for that! Really useful!

check the Nightmode at qualifornia.de

check the Nightmode at qualifornia.de
It looks great, but they will not ship to the U.K. unfortunately, I have asked. If anybody in the EU would be kind enough to order one and send on to me in the U.K., I would very very grateful, feel free to send me a DM! Obviously I will pay you up front. :thumb

Yes it’s a pain and also comes on in winter with heating on randomly. I changed mine as per below link but this will void warranty on the bathroom light and you need soldering skills

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/guide-to-changing-bathroom-sensor-to-switch.49550/#post-641437
Hi and thanks again for the info, The new switch arrived this morning, and I fitted it straight away. Not too bad at all to fit with a decent soldering iron and a steady hand. What an improvement, and no need for waving hands around when sitting on the loo!!

Hi and thanks again for the info, The new switch arrived this morning, and I fitted it straight away. Not too bad at all to fit with a decent soldering iron and a steady hand. What an improvement, and no need for waving hands around when sitting on the loo!!
yeah makes big difference not getting blinded at night! Just remember if you turn the red switch off the light will come on when you turn back on and you need to remember to turn off at light

Back