Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Generator for a Grand Cali 600

E

Emma B

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi, I have recently taken possession of my Grand Cali 600, my son and I travel around the country go karting and some tracks do not have electric hook up therefore I need a generator that can power the basics at least (heating, water and fridge) what generators do you have?
Thank you :)

Solar panels may be a bit more neighbour friendly?

Hi, I have recently taken possession of my Grand Cali 600, my son and I travel around the country go karting and some tracks do not have electric hook up therefore I need a generator that can power the basics at least (heating, water and fridge) what generators do you have?
Thank you :)

Welcome on board Emma.

As Wongo has suggested, Honda's are the best and among the quietest as well.

See a review from a campervanner here -

If you are able to determine the total power draw when heating and fridge are ON, then you can determine if you need to go for the larger Honda or not.

I personally would not go for anything other than a Honda, especially as in your case, for long-term use.

Do you take the go cart in the 600? Do post a few pics of your Cali and the go cart in it if you don't mind. we lot love pics :thumb

I have the Honda EU 10i, it does the job. People often comment on how quiet it is, although it still sounds like a generator. It’s possible to get dual fuel LPG/Petrol conversions if that’s something which may be useful for you.

There are many counterfeit Hondas around, so try to buy one from a trusted source.

How long do you stay at each track? isn't the built in battery capacity enough?
Does the GC not have the same charging boost facility as its little brother, it raises the the idle speed of the engine to make the alternator charge at a decent rate.
If running a generator is acceptable, running the engine should be ok anyway ( and less likely to be knicked)

We have the eu22i. It can run the van ac unit which is bang on 2200W. It’s a Honda, quality, built to last forever but you pay for it. Then again, you get what you pay for.

Hyundai are an alternative Brand. Allegedly a cloned Honda design.

Full range on Ebay.

Hi Emma welcome onboard. Re water and heating your Cali has either gas or diesel (option) which should provide both for as long as they have a supply. The diesel option certainly provides for a long time,. That leaves the fridge and lighting which should last approx four days plus, especially during the summer with the solar charging and if necessary the engine charge boost as described above. Worth giving these a try before an expensive generator.

Back