Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

German Emission Badges

GeoffB

GeoffB

VIP Member
Have a vague feeling I've seen this before here but can't find it now. Maybe it was on another site.

From what I've read it seems my new Cali will need an environmental badge before it's allowed into some parts of Germany, and it seems it will be rated 'green'. There are two sorts of badge or sticker, one that looks like a clock-face, here:

http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/ ... 20oder%20O

and another that looks completely different, shown half-way down this link:

https://umwelt-plakette.de/sprachauswah ... country=26

Neither of them look green, and both seem to require me to send off copies of my registration documents; I'm confused! As I don't want to be fined for not following orders :grin: any advice will be gratefully received!

Not something I've seen or heard of before Geoff, perhaps a call to the AA (Who provide the breakdown cover for VAG) would help.

Not sure you should worry, as apart from some French cops my experience is that European countries don't seem to worry much about things that in the UK would be taken oh so seriously.

Geoffb

The badges should be displayed on the windscreen and are required for entry into certain city centres, mainly the large industrial centres and the heritage cities. Google LEZs Germany and you will see the cities listed. Failure to show will result in a fine. I have previously avoided the city centres where they are needed, using parking areas on the outskirts and public transport.

Unless you are planning to go into the city centres, you do not need a badge.The LEZ areas are clearly signposted off the autobahn. You can still use the autobahns that pass through the cities, without a badge. I don't know how strictly the badges are enforced but it only takes a policeman to walk past your parked vehicle or see you stopped at traffic lights etc. All the German cars have them if they are near the zones. The badge is a one off purchase for the life of the vehicle and the T5 facelift is Euro 5 compliant so can go into the very heart of the city. I am told all you need to do is call at a dealership in Germany, doesn't have to be a VW, with your log book and they will supply one. Cost is about £9, so not worth the risk of not having one.

We have been to Germany for the last three years and am going again in a fortnight for 5 weeks.I have not bothered with the LEZ badges but will be buying one this year. I plan to purchase one in Germany so that I don't have to worry about straying into the LEZs.

Enjoy your trip, I'm obviously a big fan of Germany

Hubert

Thanks to all for the replies! I emailed the RAC and have just had this reply:

"Legislation relating to Car Emissions

Please note in January 2008 Germany introduced areas defined as ‘green zones’ and drivers need to obtain the relevant coloured disc to enter these zones.

The scheme is being introduced gradually, with Berlin and Hanover being the first cities. Vehicles entering Germany's environmental zones will be controlled by the allocation of green, yellow or red windscreen stickers based on either the vehicle's EURO standard rating or on the year that the vehicle was first registered.

Drivers can obtain stickers in advance at a cost of €5 - €10 from the following website: http://www.berlin.de/umweltzone "

I will certainly be getting one before our trip this summer!

We are off to Germany and wanted to get the correct emissions badge in a hurry and before we left.
We got it the next day in the post at the cost of £10 .80 inluding VAT. Brilliant!
What we did was scan a pdf copy of page 1 (second page) of our uk registration certificate and email it to Dekra in Devon. We paid for it over the over phone. The best plan is to ring their customer services and they will talk you through what is best for you. They have been amazingly helpful.
info@dekra-expert.co.uk
01409 255998
http://www.dekra-expert.co.uk

Thanks for the usefull info guys very helpfull :thumb :thumb

They love a fine or 10 does our european friends if we haven't got our pants on the right way or have the correct make of sunglasses ,but we seem to let them get away with what ever they want almost ...

Just back from a five week tour in Germany. It seems I was given false info from the German Tourist Board ie my previous post :-

"I am told all you need to do is call at a dealership in Germany, doesn't have to be a VW, with your log book and they will supply one. Cost is about £9, so not worth the risk of not having one."

Tried doing this at a VW dealer just outside Rothenburg on the Romantische Strasse who told me they are issued at TUV stations, there was one within a couple of miles but as I was already halfway through the holiday at this point and hadn't yet needed one decided not to bother. Managed fine with no problems so long as you don't want to park right in the city centres. we always manged to find a car park just ouside the zones and walk in, some cities also have park and rides just outside the zones.

The majority of the cities covered by the umwelt plakette are in the industrial Ruhr region, not a region popular with tourists.

For total peace of mind Celia and Edwards solution above is probably best.

Hubert

Back