Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting a Cali.... not quite decided on the spec!

ashleaf

ashleaf

VIP Member
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's useful information on this site I have been browsing a lot over the last few weeks and it has been invaluable.

We have finally made the decision to purchase a new Cali after umming and arring for a few months. We have seen a couple in stock but they are not quite what I want so I'm thinking I'll wait for my own spec.

The plan is to go off the beaten track a bit so I think the 4Motion is a must but slightly worried about economy, can anyone give opinions on the differences in engines and also where the 4Motion has really helped them out.

Thanks.
Ash

Hi ash welcome
I'm glad you have decided to buy a Cali. You won't regret it
I'm afraid I can't help much with the 4 motion question but I'm sure
Someone will
Again welcome and enjoy :thumb

A (non forum) friend regularly takes part in trials and tows his bike behind his 4motion Cali. He says it is often the only vehicle that makes it out of some of the carparks without needing a tow from a tractor. He rates it.

Thanks. I am thinking that the 4Motion will be very handy. We have been towed off festival sites many many times over the last few years, sometimes waiting for up to 2 days before getting off. Not a lot of fun when the weather is rubbish!

Also the stereo.... I don't think we need sat nav, quite like getting lost sometimes! and if we needed to can always use our phones. Should I just upgrade the stereo myself once I have it? I have seen a few people not rating the dynaudio system however I have a pair of their BM6A studio monitors and they are amongst the best quality speakers I have used so not sure what to do! Would like to hear the difference really but not sure if there is anywhere that I can. Mmmm decisions. Wanting to order this week but still lots to think about. :crazy

Cheers.A :)

I guess it largely depends on your budget, I'm a bit of an options freak. You'll rarely realise the outlay at resale time though.

I sadly don't have a 4Mo Cali but I am on my third Quattro Audi and I really do like it and would have had it on the list if my Cali was a factory order. My first two were S3's so had the Haldex version which is what the 4Mo on the Cali would be, the A4 has Torsen Quattro which is more hardware based than Haldex but I don't notice much difference.

DSG - My second S-Tronic (Audi for DSG) and again if I were ordering I'd have that.

If you want either of those then I'd go for 180hp (Standard on 4Mo).

I would spec -

Cruise Control.
F&R Parking Sensors.
Privacy Glass.
Awning.
Bike Rack. (Dealer)
Media Interface. (Dealer)
Visibility A & B.
Comfort Mattress.
Safe.
Multi Function Steering Wheel.
Premium Bluetooth.
Climatronic.

I wouldn't add Dynaudio and I would retrofit an RNS510. I'm guessing you like Audio, the RNS510 has Dolby DTS sound and with regard to using your phones for navigation, it'll be mighty expensive anywhere outside of the UK as it'll eat 3G data.

I have reversing cam on my A4 and find it very useful so ideally I'd like that on the Cali but it's only with the RNS510 which makes it very expensive.

Thanks Stu. The more I think about it the more options I would like!

I think then this is what I'm going to go for...

180 4Motion - Olympian Blue/Night Blue... not sure on colour yet.
Cruise Control.
Privacy Glass.
Awning.
iPod adaptor
Visibility A.
Comfort Mattress.
Safe.
Multi Function Steering Wheel.
Premium Bluetooth.

I'm not fussed about parking sensors, I don't really like air conditioning and I'm going to upgrade the stereo at some point in the future I think.

With regards to using UK phones abroad you can just buy a pay as you go SIM from abroad which usually come with a certain amount of data for cheap and as long as your phone is unlocked you'll be able to use it.... saves a fortune on roaming charges.

Does anyone know of any stock anywhere as close to this spec as possible? I've tried SMG Cowfold and VW Ifield they only have 140s...I'm happy to travel to get one!

Ash,

I always think resale and two of the key features I've seen on Cali's are F&R parking and Climatronic. Comfort insurance actually offer a discount for parking sensors etc so I wouldn't totally discount them.

When specifying an iPod adaptor be careful to specify Media Interface (MDI) as there are others. This can be retrofitted or is dealer fit so shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Cruise and Multifunction Steering Wheel can also be retrofitted but require you to have the correct BCM. If you had one or the other then I'd say for sure you had the correct BCM already and if necessary the BCM can be changed too -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-VW ... 500wt_1218

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-6-PLU ... 500wt_1156

I don't actually think you need the Airbag as the Airbag is probably the same for either wheel.

I don't really like air conditioning

Climatronic will make your Cali more desirable & easier to sell should you ever decide to. Most folk want Climatronic.

Edit... Sorry Stu beat me to it & put in better english !!

Ok yes so I wasn't thinking of the resale side of things, I'm aiming to keep this for a long time! I suppose you're right that most people would want the sensors and climatronic aircon and it's good to know that all those bits can be retro fitted.

I'll let you know what I have ordered when the time comes!

Thanks for all your help. Cheers.

I suppose you're right that most people would want the sensors and climatronic aircon and it's good to know that all those bits can be retro fitted.

Not sure if Climatronic can be retro fitted, if it can it will be seriously expensive because there are controls for it in the back.

Arrgh.... don't know if I can wait 22 weeks for a 4Motion! Might have to rethink!

Maybe it's not so important. Mmm?

I deliberately didn't get it 'cause I knew I would be tempted by a little track somewhere and then end up upside down in a ditch...

I think you'd have to try hard to get one too stuck and if you get caught in the snow - hey, have a cup of team and go and make the bed up...!

Californiaman said:
I deliberately didn't get it 'cause I knew I would be tempted by a little track somewhere and then end up upside down in a ditch...

Yes that is a good point!...and is something that would probably happen to me!

I finally decided last week and have put down a deposit...my Cali should be arriving at the end of June. It's a night blue 140 MT with most of the extras I was originally after, I will post full spec later on when I have the paperwork on me. I cant wait and sleeping is difficult!!! :shocked

Now though I'm starting to perhaps regret not being able to wait for a 4MOTION.... We got ourselves stuck in a muddy field in Somerset over the weekend along with a lot of other people, most needing and waiting to be towed off except for those smug ones with 4WDs!!

Maybe it's time to say goodbye to UK festivals!

Hiya Ashleaf
regards the 4motion when we bought ours two and a half years ago we didn't particularly want 4wd,electronic sliding door,cruise control,VWsatnav,rear parking sensors,tiptronic and aircon but at the time the new model hadn't come out and there was no new calis in showrooms in the whole country, so we had to go 2nd hand and there was only about 4 nearly new countrywide so we got what we got. We've never needed the 4wd so far and the VWsatnav I still don't know how to use and it's certainly not worth the then £1800 price tag.
We use a Mio Navman my son bought us.
Back to the 4motion regards fuel economy the best I've acheived is 30.85 mpg and the worst is 25.00 mpg and that is very accurately measured and carefully driven.
As for entertainment I love my music and enquired about having an VW ipod socket fitted but but was advised against by my VW dealers because of the VW Health & Safety ie not being able to control the ipod whilst driving and having to use a playlist system of only about 200 tracks. I went for the Parrot system instead with bluetooth which I use with my ipod with currently 13,888 tracks and counting and I love it.
Just thought I'd share
Regards
Viking

VWsatnav I still don't know how to use and it's certainly not worth the then £1800 price tag.

Viking I have to disagree with you there, I have RNS510 in my Cali & it is brilliant even gives me traffic info & re-routes if there is a delay.
It also means I do not have wires draped across the dash for a screen mounted gps in a £40K + vehicle.
Yes it is a lot of money, but so is the Cali ! But at the end of the day is each to his own.

viking said:
As for entertainment I love my music and enquired about having an VW ipod socket fitted but but was advised against by my VW dealers because of the VW Health & Safety ie not being able to control the ipod whilst driving and having to use a playlist system of only about 200 tracks.

Sounds like the dealer was muddling up a simple 3.5mm jack interface for the audio with the MDI that offers complete control. Gives complete access to all the playlists etc etc

shambly said:
viking said:
As for entertainment I love my music and enquired about having an VW ipod socket fitted but but was advised against by my VW dealers because of the VW Health & Safety ie not being able to control the ipod whilst driving and having to use a playlist system of only about 200 tracks.

Sounds like the dealer was muddling up a simple 3.5mm jack interface for the audio with the MDI that offers complete control. Gives complete access to all the playlists etc etc

I would agree. A sadly all to common case of misadvise from a salesperson.

If it was 'VW Health & Safety' they would sell or indeed build vehicles with them fitted.

In reply to the 4Motion question - it was essential for us and is VERY good indeed. Ours hasn't put a wheel wrong in all sorts of slippery conditions and our driveway is very steep too - many delivery vans can't make it up! I really extends the versatility of the van IMO.

For the Satnav thing - we've got the brochure option of the Kenwood MM system. Very impressed and the navigation (Garmin) is superb. Also improves the sound a fair bit for music, it has a DVD player to keep kids happy and the hands free kit works well. It's about a £900 option. The 510 is good too but I've seen genuine units for sale for less than half VWs price.

Only gripe with the Kenwood system is that it's slow to boot up.

Climate is definitely nice to have but expensive and I'd say not essential.

Shambly,

My first post, and a newcomer, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

Like the original post, I am intending to order and deliberating on spec.

I note your comprehensive vehicle spec is close to what I want, but it includes "...... F & R Parking w/camera ..." the front sensor part of which, from the brochure is not possible with 4motion. Is this a retrofit?

PETER

Peter,

You must have an old brochure. Now the 4motion can have front parking sensors - previously it couldn't. My sensors were factory ft - the camera was retro fitted.

Simon

Hello All,
For what it's worth, here's a view from the owner of a 140SE Manual who had a 4Motion DSG as a loan vehicle when mine was having some warranty work done last week.

The 4motion didn't have Climatronic or front parking sensors. Mine does. I would not be without either of them!
MPG never got above 31-32 on a run that I can often get 40+ with mine.
I've only had the van a year and have yet to get into the sort of situation where 4WD might be necessary. However I do always carry Griptrak.
Dsg 'box was a very relaxing drive, but I find my 140 manual very easy and relaxing to drive and I've never found it slow. But by comparison 180 4Motion is fast and it was quite good fun taking a few people by surprise (juvenile I know...)
My van doesn't have privacy glass but the 4Motion did. It's the only thing I would have specified had I ordered my van myself (bought at 8 months old). But, the glass is green-tinted which might not appeal to all. For aesthetic, privacy and heat-control reasons I've just spent £300 on professionally fitted privacy film on everything from the B-pillar back.
Cruise also a must. I also have 3rd seat rail an 5th seat, something which is not possible to specify on a 4Motion.

Went to a big birthday bash on a 20acre chunk of land. A 130 transporter, a motor home and several cars got completely stuck in the muddy entrance. Our van plus a mates (identical spec to ours) breezed through not even needing diff lock. Very impressed.