Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting a good nights sleep...

FiFiLaDrew

FiFiLaDrew

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Good morning forum folks
I have a mattress question please. I pick up my new (to me!) Cali next week, and top of my shopping list is a mattress topper for the downstairs bed.
I have psoriatic arthritis, which can result in very sore hips and coccyx during a flare. I wondered, to help narrow my choices, if any of the forum members with joint problems would reccommended a particular topper or mattress over another please?
TIA

Good morning forum folks
I have a mattress question please. I pick up my new (to me!) Cali next week, and top of my shopping list is a mattress topper for the downstairs bed.
I have psoriatic arthritis, which can result in very sore hips and coccyx during a flare. I wondered, to help narrow my choices, if any of the forum members with joint problems would reccommended a particular topper or mattress over another please?
TIA
My wife has taken the Cali matress out, she uses a 120mm thick self inflating mattress (outdoor revelution). With a 2"topper on top of that. A bit overkill but she gets a good night sleep, she suffers from bad hips as well. The trick is not to over inflate the self inflation mattress. She lets mattress it self inflate for a few minutes and does the bungs up. Before she was adding a bit of air, which makes it too hard. She tried a topper on top of the standard vw one and could not get comfortable.

You’ll get a variety of personal answers based on what people have bought. We’ve tried most of them and like the SIMs but decided they too much of a faff and just use a Duvalay.

Use search to see others options and get the bank card out!

I'm 79 and suffer from arthritis.
We've gone a bit over the top to get a good night's sleep having bought two Brandrup iXTEND mattresses. One new from the clubshop and one from the club adds. They fold up on the backshelf on top of each other. One fitted with a sheet and then home made cover made of ripstop nylon to keep it clean. We bought them for our T5 back in 2012 and they are still like new, having been used in our T6 and nowT6.1 (I think a new T6.1 version is a little shorter). They are top quality.
Yes, they do take up a lot of space. Yes, they are very expensive, but what price is a good night's sleep? After all the Cali is a very expensive mobile bedroom and, like a Cali, the residual value is good if you wanted to sell.
Advice - look for secondhand.
p.s. I could post a pic of them in situ if you're interested.

i am a heavy guy and the bed just dont do it for me so i have a cheap inflatable from decathalon, £14 at the moment, with a topper on it and then all put inside a single duvet cover, with asingle duvet as a cover. this i find as close to sleeping at home as i have ever found and i have tried a lot, also the plus is that when you put it away it deflates and rolls up onto the rear shelf and takes very little room. i got rid of the cali matress altogether and put the rear shelf on its top most setting so i get more space under it for loads more stuff. my wifes likes to sleep uptop so i get the whole bed to myself. result.

I have comfort mattress, the one Cali coast came with. It is acceptable but not great. Would I improve the situation by replacing it with Brandrup ixtend one?

The iXTEND is quite firm as it needs to be to bridge the joints underneath. So why when we had the opportunity to buy another used one locally we bought a second one. A decision we've never regretted. It makes a quality bed that makes Cali nights a real pleasure.
We had a VW Comfort mattress in our T6 when we brought it, but only used it for one short sleep, then swapped it for the Brandrups. It was a thinner, softer and not as well made as the iXTEND. An inferior product IMO
IMO a single iXTEND on it's own is a rather firm bed.
We tried one at the shop before we bought our first one.