Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your best Cali shopping hacks

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have a question about this (if you don't mind)... do the reversing sensors still work with this aftermarket unit? I need to replace mine and have been looking at something like this.
Yes it didn’t effect anything in the vehicle. The reversing sensors - I presume you mean the beeping - aren’t part of the stereo system. My 2008 T5 didn’t have any steering wheel stereo controls, which I think would be tricky to make work. You can connect a reversing camera to it apparently. It has a microphone that was placed near the rear view mirror that is for phone calls and controlling the stereo with your voice.

I use Waze (free) for satnav and have an Amazon Music account and Apple Music account. With my iPhone connected you can either say ‘Hey Siri play .....’ (or press the volume button instead of saying Hey Siri) and it’ll play practically anything. You can also dictate or listen to WhatsApp messages etc without taking your hands off the wheel. We also listen to audio books. For me Apple CarPlay is just brilliantly easy.
The original 2008 stereo was pretty useless. It cost about £240 for the DAB version and I paid £200 for someone to fit it.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
@Virgil van Bike thanks for the photo! That helps! Looks almost like it was made for it.

@Dr-Snickers thanks alot.

@westfalia Danke!, but i like the idea of the tray cause it catches the water that can then easily be thrown out.
Doesn't really work like that.
1. Difficult to lift tray out without spilling water.
2. The moisture condenses on the base and sides so will mainly be under the tray.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Doesn't really work like that.
1. Difficult to lift tray out without spilling water.
2. The moisture condenses on the base and sides so will mainly be under the tray.
3. Extra weight with no use
A microfiber cloth will be much more effective to mop up the water quickly

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Agreed, but a microfiber cloth won't prevent products inside the fridge from getting wet by the water buildup on the bottom.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Agreed, but a microfiber cloth won't prevent products inside the fridge from getting wet by the water buildup on the bottom.
I agree. The sink grid is useful as it keeps the food above the water. It is the additional tray underneath the grid to collect water that I find useless. It easier to remove the water with a cloth.

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
My reason is to keep food and packaging out of the condensed water. I have kept the tray as someone suggested that feet could cause an imprint/damage the fridge floor.

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I agree. The sink grid is useful as it keeps the food above the water. It is the additional tray underneath the grid to collect water that I find useless. It easier to remove the water with a cloth.
Use the additional tray on the back wall, held in place by the fridge rack, to stop things sticking to the wall

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Use the additional tray on the back wall, held in place by the fridge rack, to stop things sticking to the wall
I use 2.3 L Lock&Lock boxes, got rid of the useless rack. With big boxes I find it easier to get food out, instead of having to search among the pile of food that topple over constantly .
Food stays cooler with less heat/cold exchange every time the lid is opened, doesn't stick to the back wall.

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I use 2.3 L Lock&Lock boxes, got rid of the useless rack. With big boxes I find it easier to get food out, instead of having to search among the pile of food that topple over constantly .
Food stays cooler with less heat/cold exchange every time the lid is opened, doesn't stick to the back wall.
Good idea. We store drinks in the fridge too so would need to be able to fit those in somehow. Have you got a photo of your 2.3 litre setup? I’m assuming you can fit quite a few of those in

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Good idea. We store drinks in the fridge too so would need to be able to fit those in somehow. Have you got a photo of your 2.3 litre setup? I’m assuming you can fit quite a few of those in
20200624_114959.jpg
I fit all this in the fridge. They are 16cm x23. So side by side like above they are 32cm , leaving 8cm available for a bottle of milk, beers etc.
The ones with the green lid are from Ikea.

C

cathylw

Yes it didn’t effect anything in the vehicle. The reversing sensors - I presume you mean the beeping - aren’t part of the stereo system. My 2008 T5 didn’t have any steering wheel stereo controls, which I think would be tricky to make work. You can connect a reversing camera to it apparently. It has a microphone that was placed near the rear view mirror that is for phone calls and controlling the stereo with your voice.

I use Waze (free) for satnav and have an Amazon Music account and Apple Music account. With my iPhone connected you can either say ‘Hey Siri play .....’ (or press the volume button instead of saying Hey Siri) and it’ll play practically anything. You can also dictate or listen to WhatsApp messages etc without taking your hands off the wheel. We also listen to audio books. For me Apple CarPlay is just brilliantly easy.
The original 2008 stereo was pretty useless. It cost about £240 for the DAB version and I paid £200 for someone to fit it.
Ok so we decided to buy one and fit ourselves! Nearly complete, awaiting fixing panel and usb plugs and we’re done.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach

For steering wheel controls you need one of these adaptors.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I use two of these side by side in the boot. They fit perfectly and work as giant drawers and slide easily on rubber floor. The one on the right I use without the lid and keep dirty things in it like wellingtons, washing up bowl and even portapotti which fits perfectly. The left one has sleeping bags etc. I also have another which on long trips I put above. Then when we arrive at campsite and put up pup tent it’s easy to transfer a lot of things in one go. I think 64L is correct size but perhaps worth checking dimensions.
I see people building slide out platforms, but this is an easy, cheap alternative.
View attachment 72460

These really are really useful boxes.

The 48l really useful box with the high lid is useful to fit in taller stuff, like my 1.5l Kellie kettle or a gas camping stove in its plastic case (the type with 1 burner and a 250g cannister). Sorry no pic with my kit in.
ECB484D8-7485-41AB-A3FA-195ED4292780.jpeg

The lower one makes for a great portaloo raiser. Great if your knees are feeling a bit “dodgy”.
3FB34148-0E2C-4896-BB31-AAB690220EED.jpeg

The 9l is great between the driver’s and passenger seats. A bit of rug on top means the dog can use it as a step up to his bed on the passenger seat, without slipping.
F5EFFFAE-248F-47AB-BB24-DAACC727219E.jpeg

VW California Club