Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting hold of VW HD ARBs?

royalv2

royalv2

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks, I’d like to reduce my van’s tendency to wallow and roll in corners. Having read a number of other threads it sounds like fitting VW HD ARBs to the rear would be my best option
I’ve asked my local VW dealer, who’s replied:
We can only offer the correct anti roll bar that is fitted to your van as a replacement

can you please let us know what the reason would be for changing as if its for body roll we would recommend using the genuine lowering spring which will help reduce the body roll

as far as i can see there are some other option for the anti roll bar but as they are not applied to your chassis number we cannot conform that it would be the correct fit

(I’d prefer not to lower it as I’d rather not reduce the ground clearance).

Has anyone managed to get rear VW HD ARB retro fitted? (I’ve read about people selecting it as an option from new)

Many thanks.

royalv2 My 2015 T5 4 motion came with hd arbs as standard . I wouldn't be without them . Also fitted t32 rear springs and Bilstein B6 shock absorbers ( main vw dealer which transformed the handling as very soft rear . Much better cornering and towing now .

Last edited:
Do make sure you have the front fitted before adding a rear.

Any competent garage can source, supply & fit them, but believe it’s best to get the front done as well so you have a matching pair.

It’s your van so do as you please with it. Would ignore VW especially as they already supply uprated roll bars as standard on some vans / cali’s. They even struggle to provide a fuse diagram for most Calis, so are not even sure what they have fitted themselves half the time…!

ARB's need to be fitted to front and rear as a pair.

Front will have more effect than the rear therefore not logical to only do the rear as you may well end up with a very unstable vehicle.

H&R ones have 2 position front stiffness settings.

royalv2 My 2015 T5 4 motion came with hd arb as standard . I wouldn't be without it . Also fitted t32 rear springs ( main vw dealer which transformed the handling as very soft rear . Much bet cornering and towing now
T32 springs, that's interesting, thanks Trebor.

We ordered the optional heavy-duty spring anti-roll bars for our T6 4Mo, and found the road holding OK, but it sagged at the back when fully loaded, didn't investigate T32 springs.

When ordering our new T6.1 4Mo, we were told that HD springs are now standard fit.
Presumably T32 springs will stop rear sag. If so, this time after reading your post I'll invest in some.

Why don't VW fit them to 4Motions, because they all seem to sag at the rear? Is it perhaps because it would make the ride too harsh when unladen ?

I seem to recall much discussion this spring subject on T6's 3/4 years ago and some in the know said going by the colour coding T32 were already fitted.

ARB's need to be fitted to front and rear as a pair.

Front will have more effect than the rear therefore not logical to only do the rear as you may well end up with a very unstable vehicle.

H&R ones have 2 position front stiffness settings.

Front only is fine. A pair is fine. Rear only will induce unwanted handling characteristics.

T32 springs, that's interesting, thanks Trebor.

We ordered the optional heavy-duty spring anti-roll bars for our T6 4Mo, and found the road holding OK, but it sagged at the back when fully loaded, didn't investigate T32 springs.

When ordering our new T6.1 4Mo, we were told that HD springs are now standard fit.
Presumably T32 springs will stop rear sag. If so, this time after reading your post I'll invest in some.

Why don't VW fit them to 4Motions, because they all seem to sag at the rear? Is it perhaps because it would make the ride too harsh when unladen ?
Rear 'sag' can be an indication that overloading has occurred. Not 100% but a weight check would be wise if running well loaded.

One serious overload could permanently weaken the springs resulting in a permanent saggy rear.:mad:

No one likes looking at a saggy rear end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, I’d like to reduce my van’s tendency to wallow and roll in corners. Having read a number of other threads it sounds like fitting VW HD ARBs to the rear would be my best option

Has anyone managed to get rear VW HD ARB retro fitted? (I’ve read about people selecting it as an option from new)

Many thanks.
you need to have a word with Steve at CRS Performance in Cannock,we have H&R ARBS fitted along with Koni shocks, totally different drive all the roll in bends has gone ride is much better he can fit spacers to level out your van ,this guy can give you all the info you need and what you can achieve with the ride quality to suit your budget he has done 100s of T6s and California's

Rear 'sag' can be an indication that overloading has occurred. Not 100% but a weight check would be wise if running well loaded.

One serious overload could permanently weaken the springs resulting in a permanent saggy rear.:mad:
So the first thing to do seems to load her up, and take her to a weigh bridge to get the axle weights checked. I suspect the findings will be overloading at the rear end, because when we travel, as we are wild camping, we often have a full water tank, plus some extra water, and a spare gas cylinder. So no matter what Springs or shocks we fit, she's may still have an illegal rear end!

Many thanks all, particularly on the need to fit front primarily and rear - I’ve come across quite a few ‘only need to fit the rear’ comments out there, but that might have been Transporter specific ?
Thanks @tedgina for the CRS Performance tip

N.B. Does anyone know of anyone who has actually succeeded in getting VW (as opposed to H&R) HD ARBs retro fitted and/or where they got that done?

Yes, you can buy them new with the part numbers or find someone who has uprated to the H&R

These notes came from a German site
Front stabilizer: 7H5411305F - 112.50 euros
2 x rubber bearings: 7H5411313B - 11.30 euros
Stabilizer rear 7H5511407C - 95.10 euros

N.B. Does anyone know of anyone who has actually succeeded in getting VW (as opposed to H&R) HD ARBs retro fitted and/or where they got that done?
Have you actually asked your local VW Dealer if they will fit the full, front & rear, Heavy Duty ARB's?

They wouldn't upgrade only one axle but should do both, many have that done from past thread reading.

Have you actually asked your local VW Dealer if they will fit the full, front & rear, Heavy Duty ARB's?

They wouldn't upgrade only one axle but should do both, many have that done from past thread reading.
Fair point, I didn’t, worth a try (however as the response from the dealer to my initial question was “as far as i can see there are some other option for the anti roll bar but as they are not applied to your chassis number we cannot conform that it would be the correct fit” made me think this place was going to take a ‘computer says no’ approach to anything vaguely non-standard.)

Many thanks.
I fitted the new Bilsteins B16 and the H&R ARBs called out in this thread after my second long trip. They’ve made a massive difference to the handling. We’ve a T5.1 on a 15 plate.

I fitted the new Bilsteins B16 and the H&R ARBs called out in this thread after my second long trip. They’ve made a massive difference to the handling. We’ve a T5.1 on a 15 plate.
if you look on Bilsteins web site they do not have a recommended fitment for a vw t5/6 another company alters them to fit the van think about asking CRS Performance before making any decisions

if you look on Bilsteins web site they do not have a recommended fitment for a vw t5/6 another company alters them to fit the van think about asking CRS Performance before making any decisions

IT’S ALL ABOUTTHE SETTING!​

BILSTEIN B16.​

When you drive, you drive with passion. Control is in your hands. You are prepared ̶ your ride too: with a turn of a knob – from everyday life to attack. This is what our BILSTEIN B16 track performance threaded ride height adjustable kits stand for. With their Dual-Click adjustment – they are easy to handle and twice as effective.
DRIVE THE LEGEND.
CHECK COMPATIBILITY WITH YOUR CAR
Doesn’t fit your car:
VW TRANSPORTER T5 Pritsche/Fahrgestell (7JD, 7JE, 7JL, 7JY, 7JZ 2.0 BiTDI, 2015

FIND A RETAILER

Various Bilsteins available from standard through to ones with Air Bags.
Comfort version would suit Cali, come in Low version.
B14's are a lowered and performance version.
Just a rough guide.

Back