Anti Roll Bars ARBs basics

Bryan2411

Bryan2411

2014 SE
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello all,

Ive been reading about ARBs and the possible benefits to handling. Ive got a 2014 4motion 5.1 and there’s some variance whether the Heavy Duty ARBs are standard?
Fundamentally basic questions from a clueless owner are:
What do they look like?
Where do I find them? Front and rear?
How do I confirm which type are fitted to the vehicle (Standard or HD)?

If anyone could post a picture or two it would really help.
TIA
Bryan

Hello all,

Ive been reading about ARBs and the possible benefits to handling. Ive got a 2014 4motion 5.1 and there’s some variance whether the Heavy Duty ARBs are standard?
Fundamentally basic questions from a clueless owner are:
What do they look like?

If anyone could post a picture or two it would really help.
TIA
Bryan
All California's are fitted with anti roll bars, front and rear. Heavy duty types are an option and are just slightly thicker than the standard fit to reduce roll, again slightly, many on here swear by them.

All California's are fitted with anti roll bars, front and rear. Heavy duty types are an option and are just slightly thicker than the standard fit to reduce roll, again slightly, many on here swear by them.
Cheers, that’s why I’d like to know the basics. To be honest I’m unfamiliar with suspension setups so just want to know where to look etc.

Bryan, they are circular metal bars that link the left and right hand side of the van suspension together so when a single wheel goes up or down a similar pressure is applied to the opposite side. They , as the name suggest, reduce the amount of roll the vehicle will do. As when you go round a corner, for example, the outside suspension gets compressed more than the inside. If you look under the van both front and rear suspension will have this bar bolted across the vehicle.

Measure the thickness of the bar, that will tell you whether standard or HD. Cant remember the dimensions but 22mm and 25mm spring to mind.

I suspected mine needed upgradeing but turned out the shocks were knackered. New shocks all round and drive a lot better.

On your questions

What do they look like?
>> see pics below
>> both
>> err ... they are thicker. :) Don't know the part codes though.

1598711439909.png

Here is a pic from ebay of a transporter rear ARB. Hope this helps.

... and below is a front ARB for a T6

1598711562104.png

There are some more pics here - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/fitting-h-r-anti-roll-bars.10962/

Measure the diameter of them front and rear.

The HD ones are 25mm front and 28mm rear

You should also be able to determine it from the build sticker

Back