Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting service history from VW

steve_b

steve_b

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all. We're just about to pick up a 2008 SE which apparently has main dealer servicing through its life - however some of that is abroad so I suspect that it won't all be in English...

Is there a central register that can be brought up by any VW dealer to show the history of the vehicle if given the VIN ? Might save me some pain :)

Thanks

Steve

Hi all. We're just about to pick up a 2008 SE which apparently has main dealer servicing through its life - however some of that is abroad so I suspect that it won't all be in English...

Is there a central register that can be brought up by any VW dealer to show the history of the vehicle if given the VIN ? Might save me some pain :)

Thanks

Steve

If the service book is stamped, you could contact the particular dealer for each service & and see if they can find / reprint the invoice, but they might refuse to do so due to data protection etc.(as would have previous owners details on the invoice).

You could always ask them to black the personal details out and send / e-mail it to you. Or if that's too much trouble for them, which would seem sweird, seeing how you'll be a loyal VW-customer soon, you could just ask them to tell you if the car has been serviced well and if it has had any strange problems.

Isn't it interesting that in this day and age VW are so backward. Our son traded in his Mazda for a Gulf and VW wanted the service history. Our son contacted the Mazda dealer and they emailed all service history which included services done by other Mazda dealers.
This should all be on line now so that any dealer could see what has previously been done.

Isn't it interesting that in this day and age VW are so backward. Our son traded in his Mazda for a Gulf and VW wanted the service history. Our son contacted the Mazda dealer and they emailed all service history which included services done by other Mazda dealers.
This should all be on line now so that any dealer could see what has previously been done.
It is from VW but not back as far as 2008. I think the Electronic Service Log was introduced around 2012 or so.

Thanks Welshgas, that's useful. Does that mean in theory any vw dealer could pull the history from 2012ish, that would probably be the most useful part of it anyhow, or only for vehicles registered post 2012?

Thanks

Steve

When we bought our T4 second hand, the VW dealer could pull up any and all service that was done by any VW dealer. We bought it in the Netherlands, but it was originally German (yeah yeah, i know, they all are :) ). But the full service record could be pulled.

I have 2013 Cali I had cam belt and water pump changed whilst being serviced at Liverpool.
I changed to Manchester van centre for my following service and was told I needed cam belt changing.
'No, says I, changed last service. Do VW not have an electronic record of that?'
Answer, 'No we only know what we've done'.
'So service is not electronically logged/recorded'.
'No'.

I have 2013 Cali I had cam belt and water pump changed whilst being serviced at Liverpool.
I changed to Manchester van centre for my following service and was told I needed cam belt changing.
'No, says I, changed last service. Do VW not have an electronic record of that?'
Answer, 'No we only know what we've done'.
'So service is not electronically logged/recorded'.
'No'.
Well Cardiff Dealership knew what Hereford Dealership had done, and they are different company groups.

Well Cardiff Dealership knew what Hereford Dealership had done, and they are different company groups.
Digressing slightly...
when I had battery replaced at a new to me dealer they told me I was due to have my roof tape checked (According to VW Database). Told them my regular dealer had already done it and were arranging for the corrosion to be sorted. Checked with VWCS, who confirmed it was shown as outstanding and due. Suggested they spoke to dealer.
I checked with my regular dealer and apparently they don’t update the VW database until the the check/recall is done and the work completed. So in the case of roof corrosion my record will show the roof recall outstanding for a couple of years! And should I visit lots of different dealers they’ll all want to check the roof!
Not a very clever database.

Back