Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting spare wheel out

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
After the rear diff had sprayed oil onto the spare I decided to get it off and clean it and check the pressure etc.
Now I'm fairly handy having built a few cars in my time but what a faff. Took the right hand bolt out and unscrewed the left hand one, slid the carrier sideways so that it dropped to the ground.
No way would the wheel come out from under the van, not helped by the fact that the towbar socket is fairly low. Eventually I jacked it up a bit and got the wheel out.
Getting it back was another problem, managed to get it onto the carrier (back jacked up again) and tried to lift the carrier onto the bolt. The bolt seems to be about half an inch too short so had to get the jack under the carrier to force it up.

Surely there must be an easier way?? Doing this at the side of the road in the rain would be a nightmare.
Has anyone done this?? :help

Perhaps should mention this is a steel spare with a 235 55 17 standard tyre on.

Sounds like a nightmare. Luckily I have only removed mine in the drive and I don't have a towbar
So it wasn't to bad. If I had a problem by the side of the road I would call vw assist :thumb

intresting post doesnt stop them getting nicked

HY09UMU said:
intresting post doesnt stop them getting nicked

I've now got the locking bolt on mine so hopefully that should stop it getting stolen.

Had a thought last night about it, the solution may be to run the Cali up on the levelling ramps a bit before taking the spare off. Easier than jacking it up but still a faff.

Which locking bolt do i need? Not standard?

took 45 mins to un-seize one of the rear wheels to check the brakes the other day. Getting the spare out is the least of a worry!

sebking said:
took 45 mins to un-seize one of the rear wheels to check the brakes the other day. Getting the spare out is the least of a worry!

Can be a real tussle at times, best to get a spot of grease round the bub where it meets the wheel.
It doesn't seem to get done at a service nowadays.

Service now seems to include a visual inspection with the wheels on, and an assumption that if you can see one half of the pads in ok condition the back will probably be the same.

When I worked in a garage many moons ago we removed the wheels always to check and if needed the drums too. We even took pads out to do a visual inspection and dab a little copperslip on the back to stop squeal.

Spare wheel in & out no worries on a vw lowered bus ;-) ...spare is a 17" steel

choplee said:
Spare wheel in & out no worries on a vw lowered bus ;-) ...spare is a 17" steel

I'd better come and get a lesson then, mine was an absolute bugger. ;)

Have you ever tought tru that your 235 tyre is wider than a standard 205 tyre ? That maybe in combination with a full loaded Cali (drops the tail a bit ) ...results in less space between the slide when dropped down...
Or maybe your Cali has a lower suspention?

Instead of trying to drag it our from the back of the van, especially difficult with the top bar, drop the carrier and manoeuvre the wheel to the side of the carrier and clear before pulling it from under the van :thumb

I’ve just got my new spare wheel and carrier kit. Question is when I’ve fitted the bolt’s and spacers ( I assume the rubber ones go over the steel ) lift up the carrier with the wheel in place. Do the bolts bottom out? Or tighten until the wheel is securely clamped?

I’ve just got my new spare wheel and carrier kit. Question is when I’ve fitted the bolt’s and spacers ( I assume the rubber ones go over the steel ) lift up the carrier with the wheel in place. Do the bolts bottom out? Or tighten until the wheel is securely clamped?

Spacers - depends on spare wheel size. For larger wheels it goes between carrier / van underbody. For smaller wheels it goes between carrier and bolt head. Wheel should have no movement once both bolts are tightened.

Shuffle wheel edge onto carrier, then sit on the floor and use both feet to slide wheel into carrier into correct position. Insert bolt that lines up with ‘8’ shaped hole in carrier, then use bar inserted into carrier to lift wheel cradle onto bolt head, you can then shift it over 2 cm or into it resting postion, insert the 2nd bolt and tighten both.

I’ve got the wider wheel, but what I’m asking is do I tighten the bolts up just until the tyre is pinched tight or tighten bolts all the way until they bottom out on the spacers. So what are the rubber spacers for? Apologies if this doesn’t make sense.

Tighten until the bolt is pinched tight. The spacers have a plastic outer sliding shim which slides back as you tighten to cover any exposed thread.

IMG_5267.pngIMG_5268.png

Back