Gilets Jaunes - & Driving in France

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Question about French road laws in preparation for Easter trip to France

Does my high visibility jacket (gilet) need to be yellow (jaune)?

Could I wear my reflective cycling jacket (picture below) that's silver and still be legal?
thanks

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 07.12.20.png

We have cycled in France for many years and to the best of my knowledge there are no requirements to wear reflective jackets. However if your question is does your cycling jacket meet the requirement for vehicles to carry high viz vest for driver and all passengers then IMO no, it will not meet the required EN standards. Useful information on AA website https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france

I don't think the OP meant cycling, but using the cycling jackets instead of the compulsory yellow jackets required to be carried in your vehicle and worn if you get out of your car when broken down.

Call me cynical, but you are more likely to get a fine from not having yellow jackets in your car whether you ever need it or not.
When you stop on the hard shoulder you need to be seen so an orange jacket or yellow will get you seen, which is the point of it and during the day a white one wouldn't do it IMO.

I agree with the above, just buy a couple from the internet, only a few quid, then you'll be covered...

Here are the rules in France
The jacket must be CE approved. (EN 1150:1999 or EN ISO 20471:2013)
It must be fluorescent, orange, yellow, green, pink, red, yellow-green, yellow-orange, or orange-red.

I don't think the OP meant cycling, but using the cycling jackets instead of the compulsory yellow jackets required to be carried in your vehicle and worn if you get out of your car when broken down.

Call me cynical, but you are more likely to get a fine from not having yellow jackets in your car whether you ever need it or not.
When you stop on the hard shoulder you need to be seen so an orange jacket or yellow will get you seen, which is the point of it and during the day a white one wouldn't do it IMO.
"Would do" still doesn't qualify as fitting legal requirement. Unlike here in the UK where we have a Highway Code on the Continent you are either legal or not legal, no grey areas.
Vests can be bought for as little as £2 and kept under drivers seat for quick access.

Here are the rules in France
The jacket must be CE approved. (EN 1150:1999 or EN ISO 20471:2013)
It must be fluorescent, orange, yellow, green, pink, red, yellow-green, yellow-orange, or orange-red.

Thanks! Will check the CE marking on my cycling jacket & get a appropriate one if not approved.

Reactions: Sad
And to ride a bike in France, here is the translation of the rule :
"To drive at night, or during the day when visibility is insufficient, all drivers and passengers of a bicycle must wear a high visibility vest approved with a CE marking affixed above.

Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by a fine of up to 75 €"

And to ride a bike in France, here is the translation of the rule :
"To drive at night, or during the day when visibility is insufficient, all drivers and passengers of a bicycle must wear a high visibility vest approved with a CE marking affixed above.

Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by a fine of up to 75 €"
If this is correct and we are talking cyclist not motor cyclist then Tour de France riders break the law each year?

"Would do" still doesn't qualify as fitting legal requirement. Unlike here in the UK where we have a Highway Code on the Continent you are either legal or not legal, no grey areas.
Vests can be bought for as little as £2 and kept under drivers seat for quick access.
If you drive slowly you can pick up dozens of abandoned safety vests on road verges (left behind by road workers):)
But cost of new vest in comparison to a 50k Beach 0.0000004% !

If you drive slowly you can pick up dozens of abandoned safety vests on road verges (left behind by road workers):)
But cost of new vest in comparison to a 50k Beach 0.0000004% !
Even less in % terms for a top spec fully loaded Ocean.
I've got a bag full which were redundant when only long sleeved ones were decreed as mandatory wear.

Question about French road laws in preparation for Easter trip to France

Does my high visibility jacket (gilet) need to be yellow (jaune)?

Could I wear my reflective cycling jacket (picture below) that's silver and still be legal?
thanks

View attachment 43117
Best you stick to the yellow gilet that comes with an AA EU kit. But I do have a hot pink one, but could quickly change if required.